lc lancer hatch

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
orangelancer

lc lancer hatch

Post by orangelancer »

hey guys just bought my self a new toy/project car. the astras heaps jealous but shell get used to the new family member. the car is a 1979 chrysler lc lancer. its in pretty good nick for its age. the only rust on the car is the bonnet and bottom of the passenger back wheel arch. ive already found a new bonnet and the back wheel arch will need to be cut and welded.

the only thing stopping it from getting rego is the bonnet and the horn not working.

here are some photos
her and the bus (the zafira)

the front of the car

side profile

rear diagonal

the engine bay (4g32 1600)

why i fell in love
probably one of the best dash clusters ive seen

Pure LOL

the bonnet
you can see where ive hit the bonnet with some polish and the paint has come back. so im cheering. plan on bogginf up the new bonnet today.

more photos here
http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... %20lancer/

would also like to say a very special thankyou to andrew (big26l) if he didnt give me another bonnet i would not have bought this car
webby

Re: lc lancer hatch

Post by webby »

Haha, my mum has a Zafira :P
Looks pretty good, apart from the bonnet. Plans?
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

yeh the zafira is my grandmas. i just finished sanding back the new bonnet. gotta fill some cut holes then prime it and paint it. my plans so far are to resto the body and interior. id like to drop an engine in to it but thatl be afew months-1 year away. looking at either 4g54 (probably the most simple) or 4g63t when i get my blacks
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Damn thats a clean engine bay!!

Fix the bonnet situation and a good cut and polish and she will look sharpe.
Nice!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Yep, very nice.
They are a great looking car. Even better to drive.
metry wrote:probably one of the best dash clusters ive seen

I agree. The instrument panel layout is one of the major things that drew me to want to own one.
I seem to remember years ago 2 blokes who were a friend of a girl i was dating at the time were ragging on me for not owning an Celica instead. I let them go on for a while making them think that I cared about what they said. It was just on dark. I then said, 'this is why'. I then walked them across to my hatch, got them both to sit in it, and then turned on the headlights. They both nodded with approval, and the Celica rant stopped there :lol:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

yeh got another bonnet, just finished sanding it. the dash cluster is amazing i must say. like its well and good for a car to be good to look at, but theres gotta be something nice for you to look at when your in it. tomorrow im gonna do a major service on it at home aswell as a polish
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Tidy LC you've managed to find there Alex. Looks really good. Shame about the rust in the bonnet but that's easy fixed with the new bonnet from Andrew.

I also agree about the dash cluster being a really nice to look at. There aren't to many 1970's and 80's cars that have a dash as good as the LC's.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

That's a clean looking engine bay!
wouldn't take much more than a good scrub and a restrained touch of paint here and there and it would look mint!

Good luck with the rest of the clean up.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
leoca

Post by leoca »

Nice
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

yeh well the new bonnet is gonna get bogged up today. and im gonna give the car a full service. new oils, filters plugs leads etc.

hopefully tomorrow i can give the car a polish
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

went to pick and pay alot more today. found an lc lancer exactly the same colour as mine. bonnet was meh. had a bit of rust around the chrysler badge but i did manage to grab the chrome strips around the tail lights. they charged me 60 bix though for those 3 chrome strips but they were in really good nic
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

that bonnet should pass rego because its not considered a 'structual' part of the car, therefore not structual rust.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

REALLY? i never knew that. i just pulled apart the interior cause the rear seats werent bolted down properly. gee they were a bitch to bolt back in again. either way ill take it for a blue slip this saturday. may as well do the bonnet (the new one) before then.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Even though it isn't structural rust, in NSW visible rust is still not acceptable. Mind you though, If you put stickers over them that would probably be good enough (would look stupid though :think: ). It seems that NSW is a little tougher to get things past compared to other states.
I got knocked back on rego for the chrome strip body tabs on my 1st hatch, the front and rear strips were missing, so they were exposed. I couldn't find the strips anywhere so i had to cut the tabs off with a grinder to get through rego.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

wow. i was missing one chrome strip on the back f the car. pick n pay more had the whole lot so i grabbed all the back strips. lucky i did then. i bought a piece of metal for the new bonnet so it should get welded an painted all by friday
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

75wagon wrote:Mind you though, If you put stickers over them that would probably be good enough (would look stupid though :think: ).
Reminds me of my black Scorpion i owned about 5 years ago. Body had holes rusted through, but was still regoed. I was driving it around then planned on parting it out when rego ran out. Ended up bored at work one night and put 'FRAGILE' stickers over all the holes. :hit:
steveracer

Post by steveracer »

I am subscribing to this post. Nice looking car in great shape! Good to see those body styles in other parts of the world too! What year is it? And in AUS, were these cars sold by Chrysler dealers, not Mitsubishi? Here in the US, they were "Plymouth" Arrows. Also, here, the square lights in the front were 1979 and 1980. We got trapped with the big bumpers and a slightly different grille in the front, lower valence as well for 1979-1980.

Want to see your pics once you clean the car up!
tre04z

Post by tre04z »

hey alex nice ride. looks exactly like my first lancer. ask your old man because he can confirm it, i worked with him at csa wheels. tidy it up and we'll see you at the next meeting / cruise.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

you worked with my dad at csa? whats your name ill let him know your on here
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

steveracer wrote:I am subscribing to this post. Nice looking car in great shape! Good to see those body styles in other parts of the world too! What year is it? And in AUS, were these cars sold by Chrysler dealers, not Mitsubishi? Here in the US, they were "Plymouth" Arrows. Also, here, the square lights in the front were 1979 and 1980. We got trapped with the big bumpers and a slightly different grille in the front, lower valence as well for 1979-1980.

Want to see your pics once you clean the car up!
the car is a 1979 model. they were sold under chrysler because mitsubishi and chrysler here had some sort of alliance (was waaayy before my time). however i do believe the very last lcs were sold by mitsubishi and badges as mitsubishi (correct me if im wrong) the plymouth fire arrow is a best. comes with the 2.6 already in it
lb4g63

Post by lb4g63 »

Very tidy. you have a good staring point there. going to leave it stock or put some wheels and lower??
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

looking for new wheels now. either going to go simmons v4s or pepperpots. as for ride height idk atm. id like to put either a 2.6 (4g54) or a 4g63. probably will go 4g54 while on my ps and then drop the 4g63 in there later. anywho back to the car. its almost ready for rego. car now idles, been hit with a good polish and the colour looks like new. repainted the front and rear bars, air cleaner. re bolted the rear seats in. fitted the new chrome tail light strips fitted two new horns aswell new radiator hoses (picked em up from repco for a bit over 20 for both the upper and lower). the car drives beautifully. i think the water pump will need doing as its a bit noisy and also the thrust bearing in the gearbox is a bit loud. havent driven fast enough for me to be certain of it. all thats left is to paint and fit the new bonnet and and paint window frames. would post pics but i use my phone as a camerra and i dropped it so its broken. in repairs for now so ill be able to get you photos once the phone comes back.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

ok guys, finally did the big clean on the car. what it entailed was a hit with kitten no.2 cutting compound. that brought the colour back but i found white spots all over the paint. so then i went over it with the meguirs clay bar and finished off with a meguirs wax. the photos however are taken 2 weeks afyter the clean just after i polished the car with the new turtle wax ice wax (which is amazing btw) anywho. enough chatter im sure you want to see the pics

the colour

managed to bring back the peal effect

in the light
PROSSER

Post by PROSSER »

wow really nice clean up! are you able to get a shot of the whole car in the sun by any chance?
Samual
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

i had a good shot in the sun bit idk me phone decided to make it do the disappearing trick the only one of the car in the sun is the first one. however i have these two also

and

unfortunately the sun wasnt hitting from that side
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

That's a pretty good effort considering it's original paint. And red fades like a bitch too. As always, lookin' sharp :thumpsup:
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

yeh. well when i bought it, i didnt know what the colour was really. i thought it was a faded red. and it came back as a bright orange in the sun. wasnt easy work took alot of detailing but in the end i got the finish i wanted
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

ok well just an update. the car has a brown bonnet now thanks to tre4oz. he kindly swapped my black one for his spare brown one. the car should be going to the panel beaters within the fortnight (i know ive been saying this for at least 4 months now but this time hes got space for me so yay) just want to throw some more photos of the car up now for you all to see. so enjoy. ive got a dilemma here. the car is in exceptional condition. idk what to do with it. part of me wants to start modifying it and butchering it as such but the other part wants to restore it. arghhhhhh

the car with the brown bonnet

the tears in the drivers seat

side profile

back shot

centre console (missing original gear knob still after one)

centre console hasn't been cut (Y)

original carpets (not torn yet)

rear seats and carpet

tear in rear seat

original paint work

the boot (yes it needs a good clean)

more pictures here and sorry bout the epic amount of photos
http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... %20lancer/
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

its so amazing how good a cut 'n polish can pretty much help any paint.. :thumpsup:
good job buds!
in future invest in some 3m products as the easy to use whether hand polish or machine polish and provide the best results..
thats all i use and they've never let me down. :D
very tidy lancer by the way!
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

metry wrote:ive got a dilemma here. the car is in exceptional condition. idk what to do with it. part of me wants to start modifying it and butchering it as such but the other part wants to restore it. arghhhhhh
If you did modify it, what sort of things would you be wanting to do to it?
It's the same problem we all face. I can't bring myself to modify my wagon anymore then I have, hence the new one.

Dave...