GB galant

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
ozyvr4

GB galant

Post by ozyvr4 »

Hi there guys, just found this site. Very nice.

I will start with my old GB Galant. I bought it with the faithfull 4g32, cam, ehaust & twin solex carbs. It also had a scorpion disc brake rear that had to be removed as it was too wide. I found a standard rear end & refitted. This is a pics when I first bought. This was so long ago & I do not have many pics. I owned this from 1996-2005. I have heaps to tell & will update you soon. I have to rush off. Sorry guys.
Old - GB Galant powered by Toyota 4AGE 2o Valve
New - HH VR4 Galant powered by 4G63 & FP3052 (GT3076 Turbo )
kenvv

Re: GB galant

Post by kenvv »

looks cool mate. any pics of the HH vr4 also?
vrooooom vrooooom!!
colta51

Post by colta51 »

nice galant mate wood love to get sum more info and piks!
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
ozyvr4

Post by ozyvr4 »

I continue with the progression of the GB. Heres a pic of the day I took the car off the road for the new engine.

The engine I decided on was the newly available 4AGE 20valve ( 117kw ). It was mated to the T50 AE86 gearbox, Wolf 3d ecu, custom exhaust , VL fuel pump etc. A pic of the fit up. I wish I had more pics but it was 1998.As you see in the pic I had to mod the firewall for the disi. This was dynoed @ 115whp @ 7200rpm
Then it was time for some new wheels & paint.
I also had fitted SAAS front bucket seats, harness's, Autometer gugaes etc.
After a couple years I changed the whhels again to a 16" rims, added some slapper bars & locked diff to overcome the diff tramp ( you know what I mean)
After a long time owning this car I thought it was time for a change so I bought a 1984 AE71 Corolla panelvan with a 4AGE 16 valve / air con etc .
I ended up selling the Galant as a rolling shell as I put the motor into the Corolla mated to a GT28R turbo.

The galant went to a mate & he put all the std engine/gearbox etc back in all sold to a Galant loving family in Brisbane some. I now kick my self for breaking this car apart & getting of. I wont go too far into the mod on the corolla but heres a pic. The corolla was sold a little while after I bought my VR4 as I did not drive it much.
Corolla,I'll find some of the engine this arvo.
VR4

I have just about enough parts to build another complete VR4 turbo engine & my goal is to get another GB make a nice little toy for the weekends.
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

i love the second to last pic of the GB looks sweet. and the HH looks awesome. i like the side window visors. did you make the cooler pipes or where did you get them? mate has a HH also but hardly ever sees the light of day now just sits in his garage. heaps rare model and doesnt want to run the km's up
vrooooom vrooooom!!
ozyvr4

Post by ozyvr4 »

I made half of those ones but I'll put up some pics of a mates car that I did the whole job. Its hard to do the whole thing as I drive the car daily. I want to change them & get them HPC'd.

I would probaly do another set if he wanted me too. Is he in brisbane. I charged my mate $650 including silocons hose & clamps + $170 for the cooler. When you buy all the parts it adds up fast. I think the pipes silicone hoses & clamps cost $300 & took 5 hours to do & then I had to get a mate to weld & bead roll.
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

love the GB it looked great!! :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

na we live down in adelaide. i will link the thread to him and see what he says. he has a cooler he already uses but would be easy to modify the joining pipes back here to suit his cooler if didnt line up. cheers dude

also your radiator looks great too. heaps clean engine bay
vrooooom vrooooom!!
ozyvr4

Post by ozyvr4 »

Very nice Monte Carlo. I like.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Welcome OZYVR4
Your old GB was very nice mate!

How did the 4AGE and Box go with clearences?
Steering, sump on cross memeber etc??

I look forward to seeing what you do with the next one :thumpsup:
ozyvr4

Post by ozyvr4 »

The 4age went in quite easy. I had to make engine mounts that bolted to the engine & used the standard rubber mounts. I think I even have the mount somewhere. I took the rubber mount off the toyota crossmember & bolted it to the lancer 5 speed mount. Bolted up very easily. Steering & sump had no issues. As it was a 20valve the disi was at the back so I had to cut firewall & make a box to seal back up.

I'm hoping the next will be a little more suttle. I want the outside to be stock looking & maybe use an auto box. I just have to find a donor car. Not in a rush.

I still on the fence about the engine. I'll either build the spare 4g63 I have or use a 4g32 with custom fuel injection system.
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

I'm interested in how the 4g32's would go with fuel injection. I saw an LA rally car advertised for sale BMSC a year ago that was fuel injected. I would imagine it would be a fairly good way to get decent power out of a 4G32 while keeping things fairly light in the nose of a Galant/Lancer.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

a mate of mine spent an absolute fortune on a big cams, quad throttle body 4AGE 20 Valve, and we werent overly impressed.
Then he dropped in a stock 4AGZE and it smoked the worked 20V and was smoother and more drivable...

But an injected 4G32 would be very cool!
ozyvr4

Post by ozyvr4 »

When I did have the 20v I did have a race with a mate with a ke30 corolla with 4agze & it had a little down low but struggled up high. At the there was not very much difference. The 20V with a locked diff & slapper bars in the galant was so much fun.

I will also turbo the 4g32 if I use. It all depends on the what engine the car I find has.
lb4g63

Post by lb4g63 »

Very nice cars, you had/have there mate, keep up the good work.
George
ozyvr4

Post by ozyvr4 »

I found the pic of the corolla bay.
magnawagon

Post by magnawagon »

Long time no see. I stumbled onto this site looking for Mitsu problems. I so remember cruising Brisbane city with this car(and others) in the late 90's. It was super low with the KICKER sticker on it!!! I had a 64 Ford convertible (a odd match I know) I can even remember checking out the 20 valve sitting in the engine bay in your back yard . WOW it was a long time ago. Its a shame you don't own it any more as it is a unique car that not many people restore (either then or now!!) I have seen a few around the traps of Brisbane but not many for sale. Anyway good to see it again and hope you get another one some day!!!!