Going Topless

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
C_Fernance

Going Topless

Post by C_Fernance »

Was at work on Wednesday when some of the guys started carrying on about a Scorpion convertible in the local paper. Knowing how rare they are i thought they were playing a joke on me. Turns out it was for real. Within seconds of seeing the ad I was dialling the number for more info and went and seen it that afternoon.

After organising the money I picked it up this evening and just got home to post about it. Heres a quick pic - I'll get some better ones soon in daylight.

Appears to be in reasonable condition but needs a good clean, the interior being put back together and a paint job some time in the future. Came with all the original owners manual including the Sunchaser manual so looks like i'll need to get the scanner warmed up.
75wagon
Admin

Re: Going Topless

Post by 75wagon »

Nice work Chris.
How many does that make now?

I'm going to have to get a look at this for sure.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

dont mind the hair dresser spec scorps
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
DVSGAL

Post by DVSGAL »

The title on this thread is misleading. :lol:
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

DVSGAL wrote:The title on this thread is misleading. :lol:
lol and you came here looking for bewbs
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

DVSGAL wrote:The title on this thread is misleading. :lol:
yeah i was dissapointed :(

Nice car man, different. :thumpsup:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

The convertible managed to get me out of trouble tonight at work. I've been working at Dominos lately as a second job. Was half way through doing a shift in the ever reliable Corolla when it's battery died. Libby had to drive out in the Convertible and i swapped cars and finished the rest of my shift in the convertible. Even done the last delivery with the top down just to say that i've done it. :lol:

Haven't had a chance to do any work on it lately but here are some before pics. At this stage all we have done to it is remove all the bits of the dash, console and so on that were scattered all over the backseat and floor. Pics aren't the greatest but you can get the general idea. The book in the door pockets (off a laser???) is an Sydney Gregories map.... from 1994. I gave it back today when i picked up the parts car.

DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Very cool Chris! :thumpsup:
MintWagon

Post by MintWagon »

now that looks old skool haha good work.. whats ya plans for it mate.. looks like its got talent haha..
If your up for a shagin.. buy a wagon
Decrepit

Post by Decrepit »

Not another one!!! :banh: :banh: :banh:

Does it get the VR4 turbo engine:D? or is it going to be kept stock?

If you run out of room at your place I don't want any of them in my yard.

Randolph (Decrepit)
1974 GC Galant Hardtop (restoration project - Slow)
1975 GC Galant Hardtop VR4Turbo (pulled out and changed back to a G32B - soon to be a G62BT)
1979 LC Lancer Hatch (50% mine) - Orange & Black - G32B (Son's daily)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Isn't there a holding yard somewhere at Thornton for Scorpions Chris?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

75wagon wrote:Isn't there a holding yard somewhere at Thornton for Scorpions Chris?
Decrepit wrote:If you run out of room at your place I don't want any of them in my yard.
Sounds like it has closed down. :lol:

This one will be left fairly standard. It is technically Libby's and not mine but I'm the one who will probably have to do most of the work on it. I will be getting her to do as much work on it as she can though - if she understands how much work goes into it she is more likely to look after it better.

The engine and gearbox in the parts Scorp are great. Has heaps of power and goes great so i'll put that into mine and get it back on the road too. Then I can sell the Sigma.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

I've given it a wash this afternoon, and I degreased the engine on the weekend. It looks a lot better now. However there is one issue that has really pissed me off.

When I bought it the owner told me he recently had one of the rear wheel bearings replaced. Driving it lately I have noticed a noise/vibration has started coming from the rear wheel. Thought i'd better investigate and what I found is some of the worst workmanship I have ever seen. I checked the receipt and sure enough this was the side 'repaired' only a couple of weeks and 200km ago.

Basically rather then pressing the new bearing onto the axle they have bashed it on by belting the end of the axle. This has caused the hub where the wheel locates to mushroom out and the wheel to no longer fit. They have then attacked it with a file, before giving up and forcing the wheel over the mushroomed section. The noise I was hearing was the wheel wobbling around as it wasn't sitting flat against the hub. Tried calling the mechanic responsible this afternoon but there was no answer. Will be getting in contact with them ASAP though to rectify it (new axle and bearing at a minimum). If I'm not happy with how they sort it out I will be happy to give out their details.

pistorf

Post by pistorf »

Chris
If it is the repairer in Avoca that I am thinking of,they might not be very helpfull. Give the motor Vehicle repair Industry Authority a call on 0297122200 and have a chat with them.
It annoys the crap out of me ,the way that some repairers get away with repairs that are potentially life threatening,yet some vehicle owners come down on repairers for not denibbing and polishing out a bit of dust in the bottom of a bumper bar
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Not Avoca - that is part of the previous owners address. The mechanic is in Kincumber.

Edited - Turns out the mechanic responsible is in Kincumber, but has only recently moved there from Avoca!!! Can you PM me the details pistorf so we can find out if it is the same guy.

Finally got hold of the mechanic on the phone this arvo and he claims the axle was perfect when it left his workshop. He said that someone else must have stuffed it between him fixing the wheel bearing on the 12/11/10 and now. Told me i should take it to a local mechanic and "get them to run a file around it to fix it". :@
pistorf

Post by pistorf »

PM sent