My GN Wagon (GRANDPA)

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
www.18u

My GN Wagon (GRANDPA)

Post by www.18u »

So i picked it up yesterday, removed the roof racks and gave it a very quick poilish. I spent the whole night cruising around, showing my mates my 'grandpa spec' as one mate called it wagon. After one night with the original tape deck, i gave it the flick for a new Sony cd/mp3/usb head unit. I need to run new speaker cables, as it seems the original front ones share a common ground :? I want to replace the stock speakers but keep the original covers.
I will roll out my old enkeis i have round the side of the house, and see what they look like tomorrow and snap a pic for you.
Last edited by www.18u on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tandanus

Re: My GN Wagon

Post by tandanus »

Sweet !
But what's wrong with a tape deck? :? Sure is a step up from my AM radio :P
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

I upgraded the front speakers this morning :D I didn't have to run any new cables through the doors either ;) I even managed to use the original speaker covers so it all looks factory.
Sounds so much better, now i just have to find some old looking speaker grills so i can do the same too the rear.
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

It doesn't have any :( I want to put some in but make it look factory. If you can tell me what size speaker grills you have, i may be able to use them in either the rear door or in the sides on the rear quarters.

Thanks heaps man that would be great :D
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

Thought i would try my Starion rims on the wagon for a laugh. These are my front rims measuring 265/35/18 and fit no probs. I noticed on a drive to work that the plastic cover that protects the fuel tank just rubs the tyre at low speed. I am going to try the rears out tomorrow but i think that 285s will be pushing it.
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

No pm's :( try again.
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

man that thing would be purely sex on wheels if you dumped it on those rims.

was always a fan of the wagon.

would look good with a turbo under the bonnet too haha
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

www.18u

Post by www.18u »

Turs out 285s are only meant for my Starion :(
MrBishi

Post by MrBishi »

My parents had a green high roof GL that they bought new in 86/7 when the magnas wagons were being introduced. Brown interior with the optioned up Clarion tape deck. It was the family wagon growing up and did 200+km. I learnt to drive in it and I remember the steering was much heavier than in my GH and turning the A/C on was a recipe for slowness. The gearbox was really sweet though even after all those km (heaps better than my crappy GH borg warner anyway). I think they got rid of it in 98 when a bit of cancer was starting to pop up.
Interestingly the plastic trim over the tail gate handle was broken too! A replacement was impossible to get ten years ago so I grafted a GE metal one on.

Maybe thats where my sickness comes from?
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

I tried some Rota's on today. This pic is a 17x7.5 and sits just flush with the guard. the 16x7 is a better fit.
sigmare

Post by sigmare »

do the 18s fit on the front?
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

Well i got sick of the gutless 2.6 auto combo and came across this for sale :D

For those of you who don't know what it is, it is a 1986 Mitsubishi Lancer EX 1800 gsr turbo.
It runs a intercooled turbo 4g62 and makes a factory 160hp. It has a Starion gearbox and brakes, and has a LSD :twisted:
This car was imported from Japan and is for Race/Rally use only. I believe this car has been used as a rally car at some stage, and unfortunately the body is full of rust :cry: otherwise i would save it.

The plan is to do one or 2 drift events in it, then give grandpa a heart transplant! The seats will bolt straight in and i may even use the black interior if it fits. I am really surprised how well it goes for a stock sohc 1800cc. The rims are the same as the works rally car used back in the day, and may be up for sale at a later stage.
www.18u

Re: My GN Wagon (GRANDPA)

Post by www.18u »

I know i wish it wasn't so bad! Here's a vid of what it sounds like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_trBPWtprM
city hunter

Post by city hunter »

I hate you. Man I want one bad.
73 galant coupe, 78 Lancer coupe, 84,85, and 86 ex1800 turbos, 87 minicab van supercharged, gto vr4, 4 starions. swb montero, mighty max, 88 cordia turbo. 65 debonair
80's Hero
dirtygalant

Post by dirtygalant »

check the front brakes on that, I'm pretty sure they run a smaller diameter rotor than 4-lug Starion. I think the caliper and brake pads are the same though, although the caliper mounts on opposite side to the hub than it does on the Starion.
leoca

Post by leoca »

nice find with the lancer ...amazing we never got that one in australia...seen a few in NZ though.
beinga dual starion /lancer owner i know how you feel.Good :)
RXCORP

Post by RXCORP »

Shannon!!!! Rare find!!!!! i found an EX2000 model 5yrs ago but was already crushed.

Keep this one!!!
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

Swap ya for your import scorp :lol:
sigmare

Post by sigmare »

Can i ask what you paid for the car?
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

Sure PM me.
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

So the Lancer has been put into the garage to strip down and donate its goodies to the wagon. I thought i would take some pics of them before i start the process.
I also scored the nos taillights for $80
A mate of mine was mucking around on photoshop and made this as a laugh. (fully sick bro)
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

NOOOOOOOO dont gut that rare find!
Why not hang onto the Lancer as is, and build a motor for the Wagon...

Both nice finds man!

And I love those Rota Mags!
gallantpan

Post by gallantpan »

I need a pair of those tail lights. hook me up please?
"SIGMA"
woops

Post by woops »

I need a pair of those tail lights. hook me up please?
Ebay is your friend. This guy is the one who normally has them up for sale about every 3 months or so. http://myworld.ebay.com.au/dakotarocky/ I've bought new tail lights, indicators, grills and a few other bits and pieces to replace any old shabby looking plastic parts to make the car look essentially brand new. I suspect he bought a few pallets of mitsubishi NOS parts and has been slowly auctioning them off during the years. There are other sellers there that do the same thing but this guy i would say has had the best range. Don't know how it good is now though.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

Bump for a update... I have been snapping up bargains on the forums for grandpa, rather than stripping the EX ( You guys talked me out of it :) ) I bought a custom made set of 19 inch ROH rims for a Starion, and a complete multipoint Starion as a donor car. The Starion has a sohc 63t with vr4 hypertec pistons, no shafts, 4g64 head , custom exhaust manifold with a t3 turbo, a modded l300 plenum evo 560cc injectors and a haltech e6k ecu.
I am going to be a busy boy putting all this together over the next month :P
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

sounds nice,
glad you didnt sell it / destroy the EX.

show some pics ....
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

mrcyborg

Post by mrcyborg »

please let me be the first to know if you do scrap the ex!! interior looks so much nicer than mine!!
MrBishi

Post by MrBishi »

www.18u wrote: I bought a custom made set of 19 inch ROH rims for a Starion
Incar phil's? Who got the suspension & brakes?
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

Incar phil's? Who got the suspension & brakes?
Nah, Noddy's wheels and Ixnay's white Starion. The wheels are on there way over from WA now, and i pick up the Stazz next week. I will post picks as soon as the rims turn up (and yes it is getting lowered heaps)

I have about 10 people who want the ex (H) I didn't realise how many people are a fan of this little car.
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

Here is a engine bay shot of the Starion. A bit diry and there is a heap of wiring to clean up, but she makes 170kw at the wheels. I have a cam to chuck in yet, and possibly a turbo upgrade to come after it is transfered over into Grandpa. As a bonus I get Starion struts (with koni inserts) and Starion seats that match my original trim :D

Still waiting on the dude to send my rims :wut: