My GN Wagon (GRANDPA)

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
www.18u

Re: My GN Wagon (GRANDPA)

Post by www.18u »

Organizing the fuel and exhaust system will take longer than the motor swap over.
I hope so! The Starion has a 3 inch exhaust on it, so i am hoping i can use some sections of that. I am just using the bosch 910 fuel pump that was in the starion too. Wiring in the Haltech is going to take the longest, as i want to keep the engine bay as tidy as possible.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

best of luck getting the exhaust to fit :think: I bought a complete sedan turbo exhaust and took it to the local exhaust shop, He could only use the dump pipe :$

What sort of brake setup do you have. The GN's only had drum brake rears. They were not even an option. You really do need a brake upgrade if you want to use the power and keep it on the black stuff. :thumpsup:
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

What sort of brake setup do you have. The GN's only had drum brake rears. They were not even an option. You really do need a brake upgrade if you want to use the power and keep it on the black stuff.
I have the complete Starion brake package (including the booster)I took the rears also for when i buy a scorpion rear end, as i believe Starion disks are a upgrade. I got the motor and box out today so i am cleaning everything and getting it ready for installing. Going to be a longer process than i expected :(
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

:D

I have the Starion fronts. Work really well

I have GK discs on the rear. I kept the stock booster (disc/drum) The whole setup works great :thumpsup:
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

Well both motors are out, and the cleaning/fixing stuff has begun. I noticed some things when looking around the empty bays that i will most likely have to transfer over.
Empty Sigma Bay
Sigma low pressure fuel line.
Starion high pressure fuel line.
Need this for my clutch conversion.
Carbon Canister Starion
Carbon Canister Sigma
And Grandpa doing his dragster impersonation :o
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Looks like your conversion is well under way.
How long do you think it will take you? Well goal time anyway...

Should be a good package when your done :thumpsup:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

Hi Dave, Yep conversion is underway. Honestly i think i may have bitten off more than i can chew, and it can't see it being on the road for at least 2 months. i have a manual conversion, engine conversion, efi conversion, brake conversion and then exhaust/intercooler work.
I never do things in halves either so it will all be done properly, not a just bodgy it up to get it on the road sort of job.

The Starion engine i have has a few really bodgy bits i need to fix before i put it all in. In the meantime i have started mounting the coil pack/ ignitor, map sensor and cleaning the engine bay. I really hope this conversion is all worth it in the end!
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

It will be Apples mate, dont sweat!

Fit the Clutch Master Cylinder before you fit the motor back in, it will make it alot easier for you.

You will alright!
Paul

Post by Paul »

If you have the engine out why not put a holden 308 in it. I have and it's one of the best and fastest cars legally on the road in Canberra
Paul

Post by Paul »

The rear brakes are off a V8 Commodore and the front brakes are BA ford GT it has a toyota landcruiser clutch and toyota W50 5speed gearbox. the rear end has a fully adjustable 4 link and as I was working at Diff Dr at the time I put in a 3.7:1 locked centre in it
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

Small update, Grandpa is sold.... He is still on the forums and will be a very serious bit of gear in the next few months. I am going to help with the heart transplant just to make sure he survives :lol: . I think a few of you will be impressed by what the new owner has lined up :thumpsup:

BTW it was not a easy choice to sell him, but that dam EX Lancer has grown on me so much i bought another one i can register. Lookout for a new build thread very soon.
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

awesome work man on getting the other lancer, was it local?
1988 Starion 2600 GSR-VR
1984 JB Starion
1984 TG Gemini
1975 Tx Gemini coupe, bombed to the shithouse
1951 Chev sedan
Starion wrecking and repro f/glass parts - Garage Redzone (07) 54433507
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

Nah not local Dave. He was actually a forum member on here too. It is a A172 shell not a 75, but everything fits in and they look identical. Best part is there is no rust :D
Narcotics

Post by Narcotics »

don't know if your still around buddy but I borrowed one or your pics for a quick colour try out :)

Last edited by Narcotics on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The most expensive car I've ever bought was a 1984 Mitsubishi... in 2014.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Narcotics wrote:don't know if your still around buddy but I borrowed one or your pics for a quick colour try out :)
www.18u is still around but this thread hasn't been updated for a loooong time. So what has happened to this wagon since it was sold? :think: