Our 1975 GC Hardtop (pic heavy and epic read!)

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
ISKA8

Re: Our 1975 GC Hardtop (pic heavy and epic read!)

Post by ISKA8 »

very very nice ride buds... :thumpsup:
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Thanks a lot for all the kind works guys. It really is encouraging and that's the thing you need the most with a project like this.

So we got a wheel alignment done on the old girl just this saturday gone over at Road Race Performance in Rydalmere. I cannot recommend this guy enough! He's meticulous and thorough and usually gives the car a good once over.

He took it for a quick burn up and down the street and agreed with me that the brake pedal could be a little firmer than it is and told me the master cylinder itself needed bleeding. This is the first I've heard of this, anyone know how its done?

After nipping up the steering box and noting that it was a bit shagged (aren't they all? :( ) and dialing in the new tie-rods he had a good look around underneath the car and complimented me on my fuel system setup saying that it was extremely neat and tidy ;-) .... except for the leak.

Fuck.

I'm using an L shaped surge tank (that is an L pushed over onto its front if that makes any sense) and have hung a Bosch VL Commodore EFI pump underneath it making the input for the pump line up with the bottom fitting on the tank.
I completely failed to notice when I put it all together that the intake side of the pump was 12mm diam and the bottom fitting in the tank was only 9mm diam. I used hose that fit the pump (because that's what I happened to have in my hand when I bought the hose) and it's leaking at the connection on the bottom fitting.
I frantically drove around the usual spare parts places on saturday after noon trying to find the right size but to no avail. I managed to pick one up at Pirtek this afternoon but it was too late, I'd already missed the photoshoot that I was going to tag along with. Dang. They got some gnarly shots too.

Now, all that's left is to connect the charcoal canister and rocker cover breather to the airbox. I'm thinking just fitting some brass fittings into the filter can and plumbing up some hoses to it in some way that's neat and tidy. Would this be enough to pass an engineer do you think? because once that's done it's ready for it's cert (I hope)

one of the highlights of Saturday though was turning onto Victoria road off of James Ruse drive (those in Sydney should know the intersection) where the road comes right up close to a huge concrete wall on the drivers side and running it right out in 2nd gear.
At about 5k RPM it makes a hell of a racket :lol: I love it!!
Thankfully also it's nice and stable and vibration free at 90km/h which is a huge bonus. I'd say a lot of that is to do with the new uni's in the tailshaft. The old ones were rooted and I'd wager that's where the high speed vibration was coming from.

In other non Galant related news, I'll be heading to Melbourne this weekend to pick up a new car if all goes to plan. I've had enough of paing $500 a month in repayments for my XR5 Focus and I'm getting rid of it (anyone wanna buy it? (A) ) and I'm buying something a lot cheaper but a whole lot cooler. Something that I can work on myself and enjoy driving rather than worry about breaking.
I'll keep Mum about it till then, but there was never any doubt that what I'd find myself wanting would be Japanese and old. I'm not looking for another project, instead something already complete and stock as possible, but we both know it'll end up being a project car in a few years time anyway :roll:
I can't wait till this weekend! will break the news then!
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

A quick extra photo tonight.

I was down the garage putting the For Sale sticker on my daily and figured it's time I stuck my Koreisha Mark on the car. Naomi and I have had a few disagreements over the placement of the sticker. She doesn't care much for it, but definitely doesn't want it on the back windowbecause she wants to get it sign written for her interior design business. I DO want it on the back window because it's a little more authentic and a little less wannabe-drifter. Oh well, can't win 'em all
(I've got more of them to do with what I please though ;-) )

orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

great build here mate. cant wit to see it in the flesh next meet (Y)
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

im anticipating something cool from this new daily if this car has anything to say about it.
so this is going to be your girlfriends daily?
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Yes this will be her daily until we feel that the body needs to be properly restored (and to be quite honest it's a great shell to start with) at which point it'll probably become a weekend cruiser/bruiser.

And the same mentality is how I'm going to approach my prospective new daily. Original, old school charm cleaned up to my standards :thumpsup:
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

So there's still no news with the Galant just yet. I picked up the 12mm barbed connection to fix the leak in the surge tank but it's still sitting on the passenger seat of the car. It's just way too cold out there to work on the floor of the garage in the afternoon after work.

Plus as I mentioned earlier I was away in Melbourne picking up my new daily project.

It's not Mitsubishi but it is Classic Japanese!
A 1977 Datsun 260Z 2+2

I bought in Frankston south of Melbourne and the next day drove it about 900 odd km's home to Sydney complete with out of balance carbs and an intermittent misfire but even so, she pulled like a freight train the whole way home :thumpsup:

It's mostly stock and original. It's running an L26 with the earlier 240Z twin round top SU's that from what I've read are waaay better than the original 260Z carbs. Sitting behind that is a 5sp and I need to confirm but at a rough glance I'm pretty sure it's got an R200 diff.

The only rust I've found is in the corner of the bonnet and on the edge of the left guard. It's got a set of pig ugly wheels on it plus there's that playground equipment hanging off the front of it but they're all things that are easily fixed.
The interior is pretty much all there and in good nick (the seats are original and PERFECT!)

Anyway, I'll try not to fill up too much of this thread talking about this car. I'll be starting a build thread over on japanesenostalgiccar.com and viczcar.com.au

Last photo: Makin' friends.
webby

Post by webby »

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudddddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Jealous.
If you're going to do a conversion, please for the love of God don't give it RB-aids. 3.1L stroker L-type is all this car needs :D
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

please for the love of God don't give it RB-aids. 3.1L stroker L-type is all this car needs
Word. Haven't done enough research to know for certain if the 3.1 is the way to go. I want it to rev hard (it just suits my driving style) and produce decent power without being a pig to drive.

Just gotta get the L26 in it now running proper. There's a lot of work to do before I think about engines though.
webby

Post by webby »

Had a 3.0 in my old R30, I had the redline pegged at 8k and it did it comfortably :)
Pulled like a freight train over 3k, but it drove reasonably under that as well. Didn't like idling when cold though.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

With your master cylinder, and master cylinder needs bleeding on the bench before fitting, put some rag in a vise and carefully clamp the mounting flange, fill up the reservoir, put a screw drives or what ever against the piston, push it in, the fluid will now be drawn into the bore, before releasing the piston, put your fingers over the outlet fittings, and let the piston come back down the bore, push the piston in again as you take your fingers off the holes, when releasing it hold your fingers on the outlet holes to let it draw the fluid through, do this a few times and it will really help when bleeding up the whole system.

Although you already have the master on the car, get a assistant to jump in the drivers seat, crack off the outlet pipes on the master, get the assistant to push the pedal to the floor and hold it down, now nip up the pipes, release the pedal, push the pedal down and crack off the pipes as doing so, once pedal is on the floor hold it there and do up the pipes, and so on.Do this about 4 or 5 times, then bleed the brakes at each wheel, starting at the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder, so LHR, RHR, LHF, RHF, assuming the master is in the factory location. :thumpsup:
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Been a little while, nearly ended up off the front page :o :P

Anyway just this week the Galant has been put into active duty. Gone is the horrible little Festiva that the little lady had been tooling about in whilst we built the car and you couldn't beat the grin off her face.

Mind you, she's locked her keys in it twice in the same weekend :roll: Looks like a remote central locking kit is on the cards.

A few minor gremlins have turned up though.
A few years back I installed a Jaycar headlight reminder kit. Having gotten used to modern cars having a little alarm go off when you park up with your lights on we both found that we were forever leaving the headlights on and running the battery flat.
The Jaycar kit if pretty cheap at about $25 but you have to build it yourself, as in you get a box full of resistors, capacitors and an empty printed circuit board.
Having said that if you've got even the most basic understanding of electronics it's pretty easy to put together, even if the instructions are rubbish.

It's been working a treat for quite some time. That is it had been until just last Saturday night. At first it started squeaking and beeping sporadically as though there was some short in the wiring.
It didn't take long for it to get worse and worse only for it to start screaming at full volume.
Me, personally, thought it was hilarious at the time. Naomi didn't share my amusement. I'd had quite a bit to drink, evidently.

So Sunday morning, hangover and all, I tore into the wiring under the dash. Aaand.... I still don't know why it went fritz. I used an unused plug under the dash that is part of the washer/wiper circuit. It's live when the ignition is on and is enough to tell the headlight reminder that, "dude, it's ok. The car's running. You can stop screaming at me now"
And inexplicably, the wire I'd used stopped becoming live with the ignition on. Checked all the fuses and they're all ok, everything seemed to be working, except this one wire :\

Luckily, the plug I'd borrowed the wire from had a few left that did become live with the ignition on, so I plugged it into that, taped up the mess, shoved it back under the dash and went back inside to enjoy my hangover in the warmth.

Later I'll be showing you how to make your windscreen wipers return to rest when you switch them off if they've stopped doing just that after you've disassembled the wiper motor completely so you can clean it up and paint it to make it look like a new one :oops:

**Edit** I nearly forgot to mention, last night a good buddy of mine who's right into his photography asked me if I wanted to take the Zed and the Galant out to a local carpark for some night shots. What I've seen so far looks unreal and I'm impatiently waiting to see the finished products!
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

As I mentioned the other day I got a txt from a mate of mine asking if Naomi and I wanted to meet up that night for a photoshoot on a rooftop carpark.
We've been wanting to get some glamour shots of the coupe done for quite a while and my friend had been hassling me for sometime to do it, but due to both of us having erratic time schedules meant that it just had to keep getting pushed back.

So at moments noticed we saddled up both the Galant and the Zed but due to lack of time and outside temperature we weren't able to wash them :facepalm:
Sydney's had a biblically wet last two weeks and the cars were fairly grubby. Well... by my standards anyway :roll:

So we met on the roof of Castle Towers, an otherwise avoidable hell-hole of a shopping centre that was thankfully deserted at 8pm on a Sunday night (if you hadn't cottoned on I don't like shopping)
There were a few passers by including gym junkies, cleaners and a security guard or two who were all a little confused by all of the flashes going off around an old Datsun, and older Mitsubishi and a brand new XR5 Turbo focus but they didn't give us any grief.
But being a Sunday, the little lady and I had an appointment later that evening. We had to be home in time for the start of the F1 :lol:

Anyway, here's a teaser of some of the awesome shots he was able to get but to see the whole set FOLLOW THIS LINK :thumpsup:

I absolutely love this photo!

Make sure you check out the rest of his album for more photos!
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

car looks the good mate. cant wait to see it in the flesh this weekend (Y)
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

:lol: So a few weekends ago a few of us managed to get together for the end of month classic car meet at Harry's cafe de wheels in Liverpool and the old girl turned on the charm amongst several of the best Galant's and Lancers I've ever seen.

Whilst standing about shooting the shit as car guys are prone to doing amongst open bonnets, Scott (Superscan811) informed me that the rear housing on the long and short narrow Jap 5sp are interchangeable.
Avid readers will recall that the 5 speed I originally intended on installing was the cause of my issues lining up the crossmember with the bellhousing fouling the drag link. It more or less put the brakes on the whole swap.
I later remedied the issue by swapping in the original 4 speed. A compromise, but it worked.
Those following even closer will recall I had (unknowingly) a short narrow 5 speed with buggered selectors that I attempted to get reconditioned only to come home with a box of gearbox parts and a strong recommendation to not use Global Automotive Transmission Services in Blacktown.
But according to Scott, the rear covers on the two are interchangeable and therefore I've had the solution to my problem in the back shed the whole time :roll:

At the moment I really cant be bothered trying to swap out the gearbox in the Coupe. The 4G63 is a little more front heavy than the standard old 32 as when it's in there with no gearbox it will fall forward towards the front of the car making it nearly impossible to attach the gearbox to the engine in place. Making it harder still is the lack of clearance between the back of the head and the firewall, meaning that you cant pull the engine back far at all to line up with the gearbox.
It's something that needs doing but it's not pressingly urgent, the syncro in second is pretty knackered but it all still works. For now.

Something else I managed to do recently was a quick rough calculation on fuel economy. Fuel economy was never a key point of this project but I was curious to see what we were dealing with.
In a pleasant surprise it came back with a rough average of 9.9L/100km which is quite comparable to a modern hatchback in real-world figures. Not shabby considering the Galant is hardly driven "economically" :twisted: A 5 speed should help push that down a little.

Anyhow, More photos!!
It turns out that more of my friends seem to be taking up amateur photography and so after going out to dinner with a mate in the city last friday night we decided it'd be fun to hit up Luna Park for some cool night shots... Well, he stood around fiddling with his camera, Naomi and I hit up the rides! Doing so after a big feed of Polish Food however nearly resulted in me having a technicolour yawn :thumpsup: so I needed a sugar-hit and we found a 7-11 on the way home for some slurpees - I'm the one in desperate need of a haircut:

Evidently the bright, fluro-lit aura found outside a 7-11 makes for good night photography :lol:
See the rest of Pete's work at injectedideas.com

**EDIT** I forgot to mention, it seems that all the classic J-Tin love going on in the garage of late has piqued the interest of the old man! And we will be, very shortly making a very very special addition to the family in the form of, in my opinion, the penultimate classic Japanese Sports car! More on that soon!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I can't keep up with anything on here anymore :banh:
How did I miss the first pics from the night photo shoot?
Looking good Tj. Was really good to meet up with you and Naomi, and of course see the coupe.

We'll have to get a cruise happening soon so I can see and hear it in action.

Keep up the good work. When are we going to see some tuff looking wheels on it to harden the look up a bit?
Tj. wrote:Harry's cafe de wheels in Liverpool and the old girl turned on the charm amongst several of the best Galant's and Lancers I've ever seen.
I'm going to pretend that both of my cars that were there, were included in that category :think:
Was a good night, I'll be there again for sure :thumpsup:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

very nice mate, loving the pics ay!!!
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

another quality set of photos mate

and as dave said, good to meet naomi and yourself the other week

will have to come down after dave pulls his finger out
and paints my car and get some shots
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

77galantv6 wrote:will have to come down after dave pulls his finger out and paints my car and get some shots
That's a cheap shot :o
Got those window rubbers yet :P

I'm getting pretty close to being able to start it.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
jonown88

Post by jonown88 »

this is such a terrific car dud i wanted to get this . :thumpsup: (H)
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Dawww, Thanks mate! :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

I am seriously jealous, very nic pics mate :thumpsup:
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Thanks dude! I can't wait to see yours reassembled too! especially with those wheels :thumpsup:
Not 100% sure wether or not I like the red engine bay but it does tie in with the rest of the colour scheme... each to their own of course. I'll be very interested to see it with everything bolted back in.

Now as a few of you may have seen I'm clearing out the shed. if you havent, check it. lots n lots of galant and universal mitsu parts for hell cheap! I just want to see them used, not thrown out.

Anyway, amongst my rummaging and running away from spiders I happened across an old ice-cream tub full of gauges. There's a couple of old Smiths temp gauges that I think may have come out of some Minis but could be put to use elsewhere, nice pretty gauges eitherway, an old VDO temp gauge that matches up to a VDO oil pressure gauge I have kickin around but one caught my eye and jumped out and said "Be obsessed with me for the rest of the afternoon!!!"

A vintage Furuhashi (AKA FD Elecman) hydraulic oil pressure gauge! Ain't she pretty!!

Now I'm a sucker for anything old, car related and Japanese AND I've been thinking about putting and oil pressure gauge in the coupe for a little while now.
Judging by how the needle isn't sitting at it's rest may indicate that it's a bit borked, but FD Elecman still exist, and still list this gauge on their website so I may be able to get it reconditioned. I don't know how much that'd cost compared to buying a new one but I'll look into it.

The other issue is that it's hydraulic, meaning there's a tube with oil in it going from the oil pressure sender to the gauge itself. Which not only makes it a bit tricky to install but means I need to get an adapter to go between the oil pump and the oil pressure switch. I don't know if this style of sender would be made for a relatively modern engine like mine but I'm only speculating.

Still, it'd look so wicked in the coupe!!!

in other news I'm going to start looking into an engineers certificate in the next few days so expect heartbreak and more spanner throwing, it'll be like building the car all over again :???:
Wish me luck!
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

So tomorrow's the big day!
It's off to the engineer tomorrow.

I spoke to a bloke who's local to me and he gave me the run-around a little. Firstly he wanted a letter from Hyundai proving my engine came from an Australian market car complying with ADR's :wut: odd, but okay, I got a hold of Hyundai and they were actually pretty helpful and emailed me the details the next day.

The next thing he requested was an unleaded fuel filler neck restrictor.
Back in the day, when leaded and unleaded fuel were available alongside each other, someone thought it'd be a good precaution to make sure stupid people didn't use the wrong fuel. To do this they made the diameter of the nozzles at the bowser different sizes, making the unleaded one smaller. Then they had a legislation passed that meant all cars sold in Australia had to have a restrictor in the fuel filler neck that meant stupid people couldn't physically fit the Super nozzle in the filler neck in their new fangled Unleaded car.
I wont wade into the argument that (to the best of my knowledge) in the 70's Japan already ran unleaded fuel hence why the Saturn 4g32 already had hardened valve seats from the factory (as I stated, to the best of my knowledge) but I digress.

I first looked into adapting a filler neck from another car. But after a look around the wreckers I noticed that the filler necks in most cars were one long piece that ran all the way to the underside of the car. Not only would this involve a bit of fab work on my behalf but it would have started to get a bit pricey. Pick n Paymore tend to charge by size for stuff I've noticed :roll:
But in my earlier research I heard about restrictors that simply plug in the end of the fuel filler. They're used on a lot of import cars to bring them into line with the ADR's. And in a stroke of pure luck, whilst poking around the wreckers I found on of the little buggers on an MX5! Booyah! and they only charged me $2 for it!
Only issue is they flare out the existing opening in your filler neck and glue the new one in. A lot of people complain that they leak and the mastic they use to fix them in breaks down with contact with fuel. All this so you can't use fuel that hasn't been marketed in Australia since the early 90's :roll:

But then the engineer started to get all funny about the bigger brake upgrade worrying that the master cylinder may not have had enough capacity to service GH Sigma front brakes and wagon drums. Okay, fair call. But then he wants me to determine the capacity of the master cylinder (not just bore size) and check it against the capacity of the pistons in the calipers AND the capacity of the wheel cylinders in the back! :| How the fuck are you supposed to work that out!
I spoke to a few brake specialists too and they said there was no real way of doing it aside from pulling them all apart and measuring the volumes of them, but then that will be made difficult by the fact that you need to then subtract the volume displaced by the static pistons (that is, the space taken up by the internals of the wheel cylinders / calipers / master cylinder.

Oh, and he wanted it in writing from the manufacturers of these parts :facepalm:

To summarise, I called a different place this morning. Gave em the same spiel and they sounded way more helpful. When he asked about the brakes his response was "oh ok, that sounds cool", nothing about the unleaded filler neck, nothing about letters from parts manufacturers and was just a lot more positive on the whole thing.

One thing I did need to finish up was the connection for the charcoal canister. Up until now it'd just been venting under the bonnet.
So I scratched my head a bit and came up with an idea for something rough, but functional.
Essentially I picked up a 3/8th barbed threaded brass fitting from pirtek. The exact same ones I used to make my fuel fittings. I got one with the smallest diameter threaded end they had and got a socket (a long nut) to match.

I still had a bit of the aluminium tube left that i used in the connections between the TB and the airbox so I made another to go in the line, drilled a hole in it and gently hammered a flat surface for the fitting to seat on, cut the socket down to a thin nut, drilled a hole through the threaded end of the fitting then fitted the whole lot together with a bit of loctite and a split pin to make sure the nut wont come off and end up in the motor. That wouldn't be pretty :\

As I said, rough but functional.

It should be enough to keep an engineer happy, but it may come back out yet. We'll see.

So, wish me luck :mrgreen:
ddt

Post by ddt »

good luck with the engineers, mate! :thumpsup:

With that oil pressure gauge, if it uses an internal bourdon tube and it hasn't burst or deformed the tube by being overpressured, then the span is probably OK and only the zero is out (maybe it was dropped). You may be able to force the needle gently back to zero. Then just cross-check against another gauge or make up a tyre fitting and take down to petrol station.
If the zero is good but span is bad then it's ready for the bin unless you want to experiment with slightly bending the bourdon tube until the span comes in spec.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
A112H

Post by A112H »

Good luck today, with the amount of work and attention to detail the guy would have to be a twit not to pass you :thumpsup:
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

It passed! It passed! It passed! It passed! It passed! It passed! It passed! It passed!

I'm so Damn stoked right now!

It only just passed the noise test by 0.5dB :lol: but aside from that the guy loved it.

Full report later!
A112H

Post by A112H »

Mate, that is awesome, congratulations :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Tj. wrote:It passed!
Congrats TJ..
Tj. wrote:But then he wants me to determine the capacity of the master cylinder (not just bore size) and check it against the capacity of the pistons in the calipers AND the capacity of the wheel cylinders in the back! How the fuck are you supposed to work that out!
It's not that hard actually. Area of a circle (Radius squared * pi) multiplied by stroke.

It's the same for the master cylinder and calipers.

If you are using the same master cylinder, it's even easier. All you need is to calculate the ratio difference between the old and new calipers, that ratio is the volume difference for the master cylinder AND pedal travel.

Not required now obviously, but good to know for future reference.

Cheers.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Tj. wrote:It only just passed the noise test by 0.5dB :lol: but aside from that the guy loved it.
Wow, I thought it was pretty quiet really?
H'mm, well my wagon wouldn't pass that test then :think:

Congrats on the engineer's cert :thumpsup:

Dave...