Our 1975 GC Hardtop (pic heavy and epic read!)

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
Tj.

Re: Our 1975 GC Hardtop (pic heavy and epic read!)

Post by Tj. »

You're a true gentleman Jason.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
A112H

Post by A112H »

Thank you Sir, just want to see every one of these rare and awesome cars on the road. If I ever needed it I hope others would show the same spirit.
A57C

Post by A57C »

^ wow jason you read my mind i was just imagining the flood of guys from foreign countries asking to buy your spares
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

What else do you need (body/trim parts wise) to complete what you need to fix it?
Tj. wrote:That said, I'm going to talk to my panel beater about just chopping that panel out of a wreck and replacing it all in one hit. Would save a lot of fiddly straightening work, what do you guys reckon?
First thing I thought of when I saw the pics.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

I need to do a stocktake on the spare panels hiding in dad's shed and then go from there. So far it needs a front panel off a wreck (when I get time I'll have a look at northern auto wreckers as there's a few galants there) a bonnet and driver's side guard, which I might have, front bumper and possibly a passengers side guard depending on how much bog appears when iy gets stripped back.

I'm not in a huge rush for panels as I'm planning to completely restore the shell which is going to take time, planning and work.
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

holy shit you guys New Zealand has THE best roads)
Yeah I know. Did you go to the South Island around Queenstown. The best roads I've ever driven. The road from Te Anau to Milford Sound would make a fantastic tarmac stage.

As for the car, it does make me sad to see the photos of it and see it in the state that it's in, but I've seen a 240Z that was worse than your hardtop ( the front wheel was pushed back to the fire wall after it went of the the road and hit a tree stump on a stage in Canberra) and had a new front fitted and looked like new.

We know that you'll get it back to a even better state than what it was before the accident and I'll be looking forward to seeing it when it's finished. Good luck with it.

I'll try to find out what parts I've got that I can spare you as well (It's all up at my dad's place) and let you know.
1976 Galant Hardtop
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Hi Tj.

Were you in the Zed up at St.Clair today?
1976 Galant Hardtop
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Probably, I live in St Clair. Was it red with black flares and wheels with a huge brown plume of unburnt fuel trailing behind? Then yeah it was me :lol:

Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

That's the one. It was last Tuesday I think up at the shopping centre. I was driving out and you were driving in. I went back to talk to you but you were gone from the car.
1976 Galant Hardtop
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

So I haven't forgotten about my poor little car. I was just yesterday standing under the carport looking at it wistfully thinking about how much I miss the old girl.
The Datsun has crapped out on me for the last damn time (headgasket this time around :facepalm: ) and I've had enough of working on it. If I'm going to put this many hours into a car I want to be reaping some sort of benefit from it, improving it, not just fixing the last thing that broke. So it's properly up for sale now and I'm going to be picking up a much cheaper daily (but no less fun, stay tuned) and then I'm going to have a good long think about what I'm going to do with the solid chunk of coin that I'll get from the Zed.
I can either A) use the cheap daily for a while, save up a bit more and then drop a decent amount on something nice (type r perhaps?) or B) make sure I'm content with the cheaper daily and use the funds to start on the coupe.
There's no use asking you lot for your opinion because I know what you'll all suggest but it's food for thought none the less.

So I (sort of) have the parts, may soon have the funds, then all I'll need is somewhere to do the work (No garage at my place :-|) Mum and Dad are retiring soon and they're going to bugger off all over the country in a caravan so I'd have free run of the shed (the coupe's spiritual home of the last 17 years :lol: ) but that may be a little way off yet.

All the hours I've put into the Datsun lately has made me really appreciate just how damn easy the Galant is to work on (and how shitful the Datsun is to put a spanner to) and is making me quite anxious to get underway with it again. But for now I'll just have to make do staring miserably at my computer desk top :cry:
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Alright, let's have a little fun with this. This is all going to be purely hypothetical, pie-in-the-sky sort of discussion.

The poor thing is still languishing away under my carport only just out of the rain and looking very unloved. My 260Z isn't getting a whole lot of love on the market at the moment either which means the cash flow situation has ground to an embarrassing halt. With out the money from the Datsun, I have no money to put towards the Galant.
That hasn't stopped me daydreaming in the meantime, mind you, and this is where I want to kick off this discussion or brainstorm, if you will.

What should I do with it?

Calm down, I'm not thinking about getting rid of it. Quite the opposite. Where do you think I should go with it? How should I rebuild it? I know the sensible answer would be "what ever you want" but that's no fun. Like I said, purely hypothetical.
There's a few givens, the paint is going to be much more thorough this time and more than likely a very similar colour as I just keep coming back to it. It will no longer be a daily driver so ultimate everyday practicality is no longer an issue :thumpsup: and I'm still not too keen on a boosted motor setup. I just prefer N/A and I'm not looking to make a bajillion KW. It's not a race car.
Here's what I'm thinking;

Lower it. Properly. I'm talking about new reset springs in the rear and coilovers in the front. Not stupidly, rail scrapingly low but a mean stance.

Proper wheels. Well Der, I've always hated the cheviots that were on it but that's just how it came about. One thing I've noticed though is that wheels are kinda hard to get right on a Galant. There's certain cars that just look right with particular wheels (I'm coming from a classic Japanese wheel point of view here) like Watanabe's on Skylines and S30Z's, Starsharks and techno phantoms on 1200's and early Corollas and so forth. I think this difficulty my stem from the fact that all the blogs and sites like JNC, Speedhunters and Hightopfade etc rarely cover Mitsubishi meaning the internet isn't flooded with pics of Galant's and Lancers lined up at a Daikoku PA meet. Either way, I'm kinda leaning towards Riverside Riverge wheels simply because they're uncommon and they look good on a Celica which, wash my mouth out, looks quite similar to the Galant Hardtop

Something unique enginewise. I know running a DOHC 4G63 is already pretty unique (that's why I scrapped the EFI'd Astron I was originally planning) but there's a few of you bandwagon jumpers ( :P ) looking to do the same. So I still want a bit of that cool factor when I open the bonnet. Plus I'm an elitist dick, so having something that others don't really caters to that idiosyncrasy. :roll:
So I'm toying with the usual ideas, ITB's, Side draught carbs (Heaps of talk about this but I'm yet to see any attempts) but an Idea I keep coming back to, which contradicts a point I made earlier is boosting the engine. But not with a turbo. No that'd be too easy, and what everyone would expect. I often ponder just how difficult it'd be to run a low boost supercharger. The stock engine isn't super high comp'd for a start (8.5:1 I think?) so, in theory, you could beef up the internals (heeeeaps of turbo parts on the market don't forget) a stronger gasket and a clutched S/C a la Toyota 4AGE setups and it could be quite interesting. Like I said, I'm not looking for huge power. If I were, I'd buy a Skyline and go nuts with that. But it could be a good middle ground between a stock N/A setup and an EVO based Turbo setup.
There's another idea I've been mulling over since I first built this engine but I haven't looked into if its at all possible. How 'bout a stroked N/A motor? There's a few decent stroker kits on the market for turbo '63s and providing you can get the right compression with N/A pistons it might work. I've not looked into it at all but with a few specifications and measurements you'd find out pretty quick.

As for interior I like it pretty much the way it is, but I do find the stock front seats pretty flat and uncomfortable and not in anyway supportive. The go to fix in this regard that everyone goes for is to bolt in a Bride or some other aftermarket seat and while they look the goods in some cars, I think they'd look hugely out of place in the coupe. I want something period correct, that looks like it belongs in the car. Suggestions?

Now as I said right at the start, this is all daydreaming. It doesn't mean I'm actually going to do any of it (but I'd like to do most of it ;-) ) and this is where I want you to chime in with your ideas. Anything, just fire away!
Last edited by Tj. on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Hang on to it until you have the cash, time and love it deserves.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Tj. wrote:As for interior I like it pretty much the way it is, but I do find the stock front seats pretty flat and uncomfortable and not in anyway supportive. The go to fix in this regard that everyone goes for is to bolt in a Bride or some other aftermarket seat and while they look the goods in some cars, I think they'd look hugely out of place in the coupe. I want something period correct, that looks like it belongs in the car. Suggestions?
Go for something a bit left of field then. Find a pair of seats that you like and get them reskinned to tie in with the existing interior. 8-)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Out of what you said I agree with a lot of it. I also get where you are coming from with the
Tj. wrote:I'm not looking to make a bajillion KW. It's not a race car.
idea. It sits right on the same page I am.

I wont tell you what to do (it's your car) but I will plant this seed, the KISS theory. Keep It Simple Stupid (it's something my Dad has pumped into me from the time I was a small child).
Less is more.

General tips from an old bugger:
- Don't fall victim to fads (you and everyone else will get over them).
- Do what YOU want, but keep sympathetic to the origins of where you started (You could say, looking forward whilst looking back at the same time).
- Be an innovator not an imitator.
- Set a realistic plan/budget and keep to it (it may sound stupid, but partway through things people change their minds, and this is when things go pear shaped).

And when you're done dreaming, give it to me.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

geezer101 wrote: Go for something a bit left of field then. Find a pair of seats that you like and get them reskinned to tie in with the existing interior. 8-)
i plan on doing this too when i get to the interior. i think its a cool idea. love the look of old school interiors. as for the engine look into the amg 4g63. apparently mitsubishi still sells parts for them. body work keep the colour and dont deter too far from it. its a mad colour for the car as for rims the 4 spokes would look mad on it.
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

The AMG g63 although a great idea is not going to be (175hp NA) easy or cheap to find, there were only 2500 AMG Galants ever made and any part with AMG in the name is high dollar. Stroke that g63 :).

Could do a blow through turbo setup with some Turbo Dellorto Sidedrafts :).
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

As stated on Facebook previously;

* Fix the damage
* Get it painted (i like the idea of grey, but i would go down more the R32 GTR gunmetal Grey side)
* Low on some Jap 14's like an SSR or Work wheel (if that suits brake wise)
* Stroke the 4G63 and fit ITB's
* Fit kameari GT seats (look them up if you dont already know what they are)

Drive the hell out of it and enjoy it on the weekends.

Reliabilty of an newer motor with old school style & sound
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

Tj.

Post by Tj. »

I'm starting to get really keen on this stroker idea. I've not heard of anyone that's done it to an N/A. But then again, I've not really heard of anyone playing with an N/A twin cam '63 either.

Body and paint first, Then I'll look at playing with the motor. And yes I'm fully aware of the AMG motors but they'd be a mission to find for only a relatively small gain. I'd love to get a hold of the cam specs out of one though.
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

There is someone over there somewhere with a real AMG Galant, he's a member on galantvr4.org, Membername is bazeng, maybe give him a chat?

The Stroker will probably respond better with the stroker in NA than it did in stock form. Get a g64 bottom end and you could stroke it to 2.6 ;).
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Tj. wrote:I'm starting to get really keen on this stroker idea. I've not heard of anyone that's done it to an N/A. But then again, I've not really heard of anyone playing with an N/A twin cam '63 either.

Body and paint first, Then I'll look at playing with the motor. And yes I'm fully aware of the AMG motors but they'd be a mission to find for only a relatively small gain. I'd love to get a hold of the cam specs out of one though.
I'm playing with one :) for my ute.. I'd love to see how yours turns out :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Good news!
I've just taken a deposit for my 260Z!

This is the wad of cash that I need to get things moving with the Galant.
So, I'm thinking about pulling the motor out while I'm on my xmas break and get a start on stripping the engine bay to get the front end straightened out, so I'm now on the hunt for a shell that I can chop the front panel off of.

It's going to be a slow undertaking but at least it's now got a financial base to get going.
gaz914

Post by gaz914 »

Good news TJ :)
Race car '72 GA Galant - aka Morgan (here now!)
Road car '73 GB Galant - completely stock and original
2nd car '80 LC Lancer Hatch - 4G54 EFI
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Tj. wrote:Good news!

So, I'm thinking about pulling the motor out while I'm on my xmas break and get a start on stripping the engine bay to get the front end straightened out, so I'm now on the hunt for a shell that I can chop the front panel off of.

It's going to be a slow undertaking but at least it's now got a financial base to get going.
WTF IS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Scorpma82 wrote:WTF IS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, y'know, just me busting out a shred in celebration.
crystalmeths

Post by crystalmeths »

Scorpma82 wrote:

WTF IS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is a cyberman off Dr Who
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The Cybermen were a 1970's glam rock band that time forgot...
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

77galantv6 wrote:As stated on Facebook previously;

* Fix the damage
* Get it painted (i like the idea of grey, but i would go down more the R32 GTR gunmetal Grey side)
* Low on some Jap 14's like an SSR or Work wheel (if that suits brake wise)
* Stroke the 4G63 and fit ITB's
* Fit kameari GT seats (look them up if you dont already know what they are)

Drive the hell out of it and enjoy it on the weekends.

Reliabilty of an newer motor with old school style & sound
These are some awesome ideas put forward, would suit nicely i reckon! Could you even add in some custom bolt on flares? something to chew on that's for sure.

p.s good news on getting a deposit on the 260z, sounds like full steam ahead on this old galant soon enough!
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

:thumpsup:
Thats good news man...

cheers (H)
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Gormzz wrote: ...add in some custom bolt on flares? something to chew on that's for sure.
I've heard of a lot of people wanting to do this and so far the only one that it's looked right on is incorporatedx's wagon. When I got the set that ended up on the zed I taped them to the sides of the galant just for a look and it just didn't work. The coupe's lines just don't suit it. I mean, it totally works on the GTO's and that said they're dramatically smaller than the ZG flares I put on the zed (they were massive (H) )
But the bottom line is, to make them look anywhere near right, you need the width in your wheels to fill up the space. To run wheels that wide you need to cut your wheel arches for clearance (about 50mm came out of the zed, maybe more) and I just don't want to do that to a hardtop shell.

I do want to find something similar to those kameari seats, only with a reclining back.
There is more important work to be done first, however.
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Wow thats amazing so TJ wanna come help me with my GC im only few suburbs over haha :)