Cipher124's GH Sigma SE

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
Cipher124

Cipher124's GH Sigma SE

Post by Cipher124 »

Hey all, This is my 1980 GH Sigma SE. I promised to put some pics up when I joined SG.com but never got around to it. Well here they are! :thumpsup:

But first, a little about the car.
Totally stock, runs like crap for the moment and needs to be repainted. A little rust around the windows. Pretty alright for what I paid for it though! ($150!!!)
Astron 2L Manual
Replaced original carby with one of a 2.6 Auto (no dashpot), because the original was rooted. Now it runs a little better, but super rich, especially when the engine is cold :@
Changed the instrument cluster with one from a GE, because I just like the look of round gauges better than square hehe. Plus it looks stock to those unfamiliar with Siggys.
I also in the process of 'upgrading' the horn... I'll explain below.

PICS!

Ok so this horn... It is a 3-chime air horn of an old scrapped Hitachi suburban train used in Melbourne, also found on the T, H and Y Class locomotives used in Victoria (Train stuff... :blah: hehe)
So I'm slowly in the process of running some air pipe from inn the engine bay to the dash for the lever and boot for the air tank. This is completely separate from the original horn, which still operates with the steering wheel button.

This is the 2.6 Astron I have lying around. I'm gradually getting this running, and it will go into the Sigma.

Future plans:
Put in the 2.6
Try out a carby off an XF Falcon for a while.
Long term, probably EFi N/A

What do ya's reckon?

Marshall
1980 GH Chrysler Sigma SE - Project - Now with 4G54 wideblock and 5spd BW. Getting it back on the road!
2008 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDI Pacific - The daily

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864268/1
75wagon
Admin

Re: Cipher124's GH Sigma SE

Post by 75wagon »

Sounds like a good project to me. Certainly can't complain about the price.
I prefer the look of the GE's round gauges too.

When you get those horns going, I wouldn't sneak up behind any old people and let 'em rip or anything, you might give them a heart attack :lol:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Dave - do a search for it on youtube. Theres heaps of vids of people driving around with train horns, fog horns, etc scaring people. :lol: :lol:
Cipher124

Post by Cipher124 »

UPDATE:

After about two years of sitting idle, the GH project is finally underway.
I have put aside the first 2.6 Astron I purchased (in unknown condition), to make way for another - perfectly running - 2.6 out of a wreck of a GH that looked like it was in a back-yard smashup derby.

Anyway, got myself an engine crane, pulled out the 2L and BW box together.
Stripped the interior completely to find no floor rust, but quite poor windscreen and rear window frames. Rust holes letting all this Melbourne winter weather in. :-/
This would be a good time to repair all that.
And on top of that, rust at the base of the winscreen has caused my windscreen to spontaneously break one day. I'd better learn to weld I think!

So here's the current plan with the parts I have:
Replace front crossmember (with associated parts) and suspension assemblies;
Fit "new" 2.6 with original BW 5spd box to car;
Repair front and rear window frame rust;
Have windscreen professionally replaced;
Re-fit interior;
Assuming the Siggy is driveble, or at least mobile, take to the mechanic to inspect all roadworthy items to see what else need doing before I can get her registered again.
Then paint job later on. Oh and get rid of the steelies with hub caps and put some good rubber on my Sigma 'mags'

Pics to come, also for those who have me on FaceBook, pics will appear there first.
I've left out a lot of detail in this post, but its coming from an extremely slow tablet pc so ...
1980 GH Chrysler Sigma SE - Project - Now with 4G54 wideblock and 5spd BW. Getting it back on the road!
2008 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDI Pacific - The daily

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864268/1