my GE sigma

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
camB

Re: my GE sigma

Post by camB »

Looks like Melbourne has all the white GEs still alive. :roll:
Sigmoe

Post by Sigmoe »

been slow with updates!

got the 14" wheels with bigger whitewalls, lower in the front now,
im fitting ecotec v6 at the moment, still got a few things to do !
ill try and upd ate a bit more but heres some pics

Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

how come u've decided to go with a commodore engine......search for more power/reliability/driveability?
Built with pride, Driven in anger
A112H

Post by A112H »

Great work, nice to see some pics of it coming along.
The only thing I dis-like about all Commodore V6 conversions is no matter what you do, no matter what exhaust you run, they ALWAYS sound like a Commodore, lol
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Gotta agree with you there A112H.......I personally think the commodore sounds like a fart in a megaphone
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

In my Galant it doesn't sound like a commodore - due to size I think - but the sigma being longer may sound closer to the commodore.
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

A112H

Post by A112H »

Not inside so much but outside. I have heard a few hiluxs and even a Mazda B2600 converted to V6 and coming up the road you would swear it was a Commodore :lol:
Sigmoe

Post by Sigmoe »

not much of an update! but its in and driving, put about 3,000 k's on it in the car
vast improvement. Happy enough with the sound of it, not too commodorey after all.
will be painting it and repairing some rust soon, then I'm
already thinking about the next transplant :S a supercharged 6 or an ls series motor.
more money !

Pete
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

Who cares what it sounds like really..the commy motor drone is something you can live with considering the power increase it must give you (even in a sigma).Plus at higher rpm at least it sounds like it is revving..with plumes off the tyres i bet!

I had one in a little 1200ute with a 5 speed and locker..leapfrogged sideways from 3rd gear without really revving it.unbeatable! anything that ever pulled up along side it and decided to show me what they had ..got.. :ban:... and from a third gear start. Many red faces. :facepalm:
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

i think this sigma is one of the more interesting cars on this site..real stealth street sleeper..i would be happy with it as is.
Sigmoe

Post by Sigmoe »

cheers dave! It is great fun to drive, and suprise people with, lots of red faces :) glad you like it!
and yep, ill live with that sound all day long! its quite nice and growing on me actually haha
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Personally not my cup of tea but it ain't my car so I'm not gonna sit here and bag it ( the execution of the build does look like of a high quality standard)

Quite frankly, if that's the direction u had in ur mind for a project and ur happy with the results you've got....then top marks for you.....well done.....many of us are still trying to build their car
Sigmoe

Post by Sigmoe »

few updates on the sigma,

moved house a couple of months ago, had the car parked out on the street and one of my new neigbours reversed out of their driveway right into my back door! and I've been told she has done it to about 3 cars parked in the same spot, so apart from parking in my driveway all the time now, Ive taken this as motivation to get the whole car painted. but while i get ready for that, it gives me an excuse to start buying more parts!

so far I've managed to get 2 x nos aftermarket front guards to go on, nos front and rear bumpers and bumper indicators for the front, a new lh tail lamp ( which is handy because i dropped a jack on mine when putting it in the boot..) but now I'll probably go mad trying to find a rhs as well. CamB helped me out with a replacement door which ill get painted alongside the rest of the car before it goes on. also got some cool headlights coming from u.s. , which i'm excited about, if only the dollar wasn't so cruddy right now. also the v6 will be getting a new cam and rockers, and some tranny work as well.

also hunting for some gh struts as a platform to start upgrading the brakes, found some adjustable strut tops on ebay to suit the sigma 3 bolt pattern so will probably try those as well.
And as well the rear wheels will get a widening treatment once i find a pair of sigma steelies as donors. so i can use the semi slicks i have waiting.

so driving it to work for a couple more weeks then its front and back windscreens out, fix the rust around them, new fenders on then all the chrome, lights and moulds off and off to the paint shop!

then a nervous wait before i have to empty my wallet and put it all back together again!

stay tuned for a few more updates over the coming months if your interested.

Pete
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Sigmoe wrote:stay tuned for a few more updates over the coming months if your interested.
Yep, interested :thumpsup:

Sounds like this is all coming together well for you.
Just curious, you going to continue running the stockies for the sleeper/unsus bus look or are you looking at something else?

BTW, picking up on earlier comments, personally I think the Commo V6 into a Sigma shell is a smart swap (almost want to do it myself) and as far as sound goes, 77galantv6's Galant sounds heaps better then a Commodore, if I didn't know what was under the bonnet I wouldn't have picked it. I suppose a lot has to do with the exhaust that you have to go with it.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

The length probably has a lot to do with the note too.....
Sigmoe

Post by Sigmoe »

Yeah dave going to stay with the stockies as they tie the whole car toghether, ideally just widen the rears so i can get some wider tyres on there, keeping the walls' and chrome rings

and yeah alot of people wouldnt know what was under the bonnet unless told or shown, its pretty inconspicuous,
custom headers running twin pipes till just before the diff , single muffler and a hot dog. when it's idling, the lift pump is louder than the exhaust note ! :)
Sigmoe

Post by Sigmoe »

Mini update, been buying lots of things for this after my door got backed into, also been given motivation to fix some other things..
Lucky enough to find some nos aftermarket guards for the front.
Found a nos aftermarket tail light for the lhs ( just as well because it had a crack from me dropping a jack on it) , But now still trying to find a new lamp for the rhs.
Probably cant really tell from this pic on account of the bubble wrap, but got some nos chrome bumpers to replace my slightly warped ones! ( also got some new complete bumper indicators to go in the front )
Also got scorpion struts and diff for an overhaul to go in the car. still working on the diff, overhauling calipers, sandblasting and painting everything.
front struts are done, and will go in with K-mac adj. strut tops when the car comes back from paint.
Image Repaired a bunch of rust before it went off to be painted, biggest hole was at the back window/parcel shelf, few small repairs on the front lower quarter panels and around the front and rear windscreeens and rh tail lamp.
done from the discomfort of my tiny new shed, hopefully it will be back from paint in the next couple of weeks and i can put it toghether again!
got some new fancy headlights to put in, as well as a few other surprises, I'll keep you posted..

cant wait to have it back.
Sigmoe

Post by Sigmoe »

got it back from paint, put it back toghether enough to drive,
im pretty happy..

next up new struts/diff to go in,
widen rear wheels
bit more engine work

then probably go super 6 when this one blows.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

That's tidy as :thumpsup:
You've got to be happy with that.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
71GA

Post by 71GA »

Looks great.
ddt

Post by ddt »

yep, she's looking great :thumpsup:

Any plans of putting some pinstriping back on?
i know a lot of people get rid of the pinstriping after a respray but i think it can make a car look a bit incomplete.
I reckon even a very subtle one can really finish off a car especially if you are going the sleeper/original look.

I've photoshopped a subtle one below, see what you think. I've also widened your rear wheel by about ~1 inch (inwards only)

'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Instead of pinstriping, I'd fit the original rubber/chrome strip down the side of the car.....keep that originaal theme
Sigmoe

Post by Sigmoe »

yeah i was a bit attached to the trolley strips on the side, i quite liked them, but after paint im still in two minds about it, I think the subtle pinstriping idea is a nice one, and the trolley strips are handy for carparks after all, but ive just got to look at it for a bit longer to make my mind up.. or just wind up doing something out of impulse..
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Dontl do it out of impulse mate, if u don't like it, ull kick urself big time......btw, the headlights are tops!!!!!
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

Awesome GE, good job!
Please click below to visit my blog dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.galant-sigma.com

Please click below to visit my cardomain website dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/293989

Belial

Post by Belial »

How have you found the K MAC strut tops?
Sigmoe

Post by Sigmoe »

No real noticeable difference! apart from aesthetic.. may as well have kept the factory tops.