"Alf"

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
74GalantGB

"Alf"

Post by 74GalantGB »

1974 Mitsubishi/Chrysler Valiant Galant GB, GL.

My cars name is "Alf". Laugh it up ;-) There is logic behind the name!!
Numberplate is "AF-6010"... to remember it, I just think "Alf GOLD"... (6=G, 0=O, 1=L, 0=D.) Works for me!

Ask questions about car and I shall answer as best I can.
:-)

Following photos taken not long after I got car:
Exterior:

These photos taken today:
Interior:

(inside) door:

Seatbelt hook thingy-ma-bob:

Again - with seatbelt:

Steering wheel:

Steering wheel badge:

Peddles - carpet was brown, but have recently put black in. Obviously not in right yet, lol:

Gearstick ;-):

Installed CD Player - Dad cut rectangle out of dash for CD player... (I got a spare section out of another Galant, so I've still got the original section of the dash in the shed, unharmed):

She's done a fair bit of travelling!

Shelf - I wanted CD player here so wouldn't have to harm dash, but dad said it wasn't possible...?:

Dash badge:

EXTERIOR BADGES
1/. Quite faded "VALIANT" badge:

2/. Also quite faded "GALANT" badge:

3/. Side (panel?) badges:

4/. Grill "GL" badge:

5/. Grill "Mitsubishi&Horse" badge - quite bug splattered, oops..:
Last edited by 74GalantGB on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
'74 GB.

R.I.P ALF; my darling little car. You never had a fault in/on you. ~ </3

Definition: "Shim"; being a supreme being of awesomeness which is neither male nor female but walks among both worlds as it pleases.

<.* Yes, I'm an idiot. Get over it. :) *.>
74GalantGB

Re: "Alf"

Post by 74GalantGB »

I want a new exhaust for it... the one that is on it is laughable ^_^
And I want it louder ;-)
and would LOVE TURBO!! :D Lol.

Also planning to get it re-painted one of these days... still undecided whether to just get it re-sprayed same colour, or go for a new look... I quite like the gold/bronze, but I was thinking dark metallic blue or something?

Getting windows tinted at some point, also.

Want bigger/wider tyres... love the chunky look. :D
Would also love to have the car lifted somewhat, but not sure how high I could get away with... would make handling somewhat tricky(er!).

Breaks are pathetic... honestly. You don't get anything until your about half-way, then it's still pretty slack... which is quite dangerous if you drive the way I do. ;-) haha. Nah, I drive pretty steady in town, etc... on the highway is another story... =D
Also needs new shockies...

Will get 'under bonnet' pics soon. Although, nothing special going on under there. All original as far as I know.
'74 GB.

Definition: "Shim"; being a supreme being of awesomeness which is neither male nor female but walks among both worlds as it pleases.

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

That's a nice looking ride you have there.
I miss my old GB sedan. Mine got cleaned up by a truck.
I had the stereo mounted in the same place as you have it, but I modified the brackets on the dash panel and made it removable. The stereo sat underneath it. I wanted the stereo hidden because I used to park it in a railway station carpark for 13hrs a day. I hid the rear speakers under a granny rug. It kept the car theives away for 2 years :thumpsup:

Oh, and another female car enthusiast :thumpsup:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

That's a nice looking ride you have there.
I miss my old GB sedan. Mine got cleaned up by a truck.
I had the stereo mounted in the same place as you have it, but I modified the brackets on the dash panel and made it removable. The stereo sat underneath it. I wanted the stereo hidden because I used to park it in a railway station carpark for 13hrs a day. I hid the rear speakers under a granny rug. It kept the car theives away for 2 years :thumpsup:

Oh, and another female car enthusiast :thumpsup:

Dave...
Thanking you muchly!! =D I am rather fond of it. ^_^

Ohh, man! Wish I'd thought to do that (for stereo)! =/ Did want it on the shelf bit under the glove box, but dad said it couldn't be done, so yeah... My speakers are hidden, too...though not by a granny rug, lol. It's a carpet type thing cut to fit that bit of the car. ^_^ (What do you call that bit? The shelfy bit under the back windscreen, above the back seats?)

Yep, female car enthusiast... we aren't as rare as some folks seem to think! ;-)
'74 GB.

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

74GalantGB wrote:(What do you call that bit? The shelfy bit under the back windscreen, above the back seats?)
I've always called it the rear parcel shelf.
Although now looking at it written, it sounds sort of stupid :think:
74GalantGB wrote:Yep, female car enthusiast... we aren't as rare as some folks seem to think! ;-)
I wish there was more...

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
rob020

Post by rob020 »

parcel shelf! yea, it tis quite a nice g-lant.. makes me miss my GA... that had pretty bad brakes too... i had to bleed the crap out of em and what came out prety much looked like mud :(
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

75wagon wrote:
74GalantGB wrote:(What do you call that bit? The shelfy bit under the back windscreen, above the back seats?)
I've always called it the rear parcel shelf.
Although now looking at it written, it sounds sort of stupid :think:
74GalantGB wrote:Yep, female car enthusiast... we aren't as rare as some folks seem to think! ;-)
I wish there was more...

Dave...
Well, I've never known what it's called... so I sure ain't laughing at 'rear parcel shelf'! =] It's just the "shelf thingy-ma-bob" to me. ;-)

Lol... if you look hard enough, you'll find that there are many of us. :)
Although I'll admit that most seem to prefer the newer cars *screws up face in disgust*.
Yeah, I hate new cars... and seem to be made of plastic =_= lol.

I love REAL cars...!
Plymouths, Chryslers, etc... =D and the older Fords and Holdens. Holden Kingswoods... =D The little Geminis are pretty awesome, too. ^_^
'74 GB.

74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

parcel shelf! yea, it tis quite a nice g-lant.. makes me miss my GA... that had pretty bad brakes too... i had to bleed the crap out of em and what came out prety much looked like mud :(
Mmm.. breaks suck. Not sure if these have been bled yet.. will have to ask dad in the morning. He's my mechanic ;-)
'74 GB.

tango76hardtop

Post by tango76hardtop »

are they drum brakes in the front if so you might want to upgrade to gc/gd front struts and disc brakes, they should bolt straight in
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

love the car - absolutly love it

this is another one of those examples i would pay way too much for :thumpsup:

looking forward to see what progress you make on it, how much money are you hinestly looking at spending on it and in what time frame? i had big ideas with my GC but in the end i bit the bullet and replaced all the steering linkages, front brake pads, seatbelts, fixed up the rust and painted over the repairs in grey primer and then left it at that and took it over the pits

im so happy now that i spent the money on making it drive well and safe before doing things to the car that didnt help me to get it over the pits ie paint and stereo - however stereo came a week after the pits inspection ;)

best of luck keep us updated
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

and how did you come across the car/fall in love?
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

74GalantGB wrote:Want bigger/wider tyres... love the chunky look. :D
hey, i got a set of Sigma GSR Pepperpots you can have for $400 with mint (195/50/15) tyres
they have been polished in the past, just need a clean up now - been sitting in the shed for a while
Image Image
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Welcome to the site,

:| Nice car! Bloody neat! How'd you come across it? must of been from some oldies :D

Yeah factory brakes are pretty ordinary (especially if you are used to a newer car).
GB... From memory you can bolt in a complete strut from a GH Sigma = Bigger & better front brakes
-Do you have boosted brakes?

Cheers.
Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

Ok, you may wanna grab a beer or cup of tea or something... this gonna be a long read ;-)

I actually recently found out some funny info about my car!
Turns out that my mates grandmother was the first owner! Of this very car! :O
Aaaaaand, she is the same woman who used to baby-sit my mother when she was a kid... so my mother had been in my car, way back in the late 70s! Lol. :-)

I know the entire owner and location history of my car :-)
#1 - Mrs Betts; Pyengana.
#2 - Mr & Mrs Quick; South Mount Cameron.
#3 - ME!! :-)

Second owners were parents of a class mate in high school.

:| Nice car! Bloody neat! How'd you come across it? must of been from some oldies :D
how did you come across the car/fall in love?
Righto! Weeeeeell... dad, John (dads mate) and I were sitting about chatting about cars, and what sort I should get... (I wanted a Datsun 120Y :D, or an old Corolla or something along those lines) John (dads mate) said he'd keep an eye out for anything like it. An hour after he left, he was back again... said he'd found a perfect car for me, and asked them to take the "for sale" sign off it until I'd looked at it. So off we went, and the minute we pulled into their drive-way and I saw it I told dad that I didn't care if anything was wrong with it - I wanted it.
He did his mechanics-check... found one little thing wrong with it (think it needed a new heater hose or something, so wasn't a biggy)... got the car for $900. :D

She's been a reliable little car - only "broke down" twice in the three years I've had it. And neither time was really it's fault, but more mine/my dads for not checking it out.

First time was just clogged fuel filter, so fuel wasn't getting through... thankfully was only 5 minute drive from parents house, so not a long walk home. ;-) and I'd managed to get it off the road. Was about 2 months after I got it.

Second time was only about two months ago... she was running hot - and I mean HOT!!, and was loosing water fast... I had driven from Devonport to Latrobe (about 15minutes), heading home (another 3 hours from Latrobe!), so pulled it off the highway and checked the radiator hoses, etc and couldn't see anything wrong there... so I called dad and told him what was going on. Fearing it may have been the head gasket, he drove all the way to Latrobe to pick up my car and I. Turns out a heater hose had a cut in it... only about 2cm long..! So dad came all the way to Latrobe to pick my and my car up, when I coulda just fixed it temporarily with some duct until I got home. :roll: (and I'll tell you now - sitting in a car, in direct sunlight, in the middle of summer, in the middle of the day... with no water = NOT fun!!) To pass the time, for the first hour I counted cars... and kept a tally of each colour, and type of car, etc.. 151 cars went past in that first hour :P I'm never going to forget! Oh - out of those 151 cars, only one made me sit up straight.. and that was an old Kingswood ;-)

Unfortunately, my female-mechanical-logic was a tad flawed... I figured that seeing as it was something to do with the heat/loosing water, it'd have to be something around the radiator/radiator hoses... but noooooo, it'd have to be the heater hoses up the other end!! :roll: Lol :)
Ahh well, this is how we learn I suppose.

The bit that shocked me was HOW the cut got in the heater hose. Turns out there was a little piece of metal stuff sticking off the air filter thingy-ma-bob (yeah, I still don't really know whats what...), and it had gradually cut through the hose.

The piece of metal stuff - now bent away so it can't cause any more damage:
'74 GB.

74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

tango76hardtop wrote:are they drum brakes in the front if so you might want to upgrade to gc/gd front struts and disc brakes, they should bolt straight in
Will chat to dad about it - thanks!! :-)
'74 GB.

74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

shuggy wrote:love the car - absolutly love it

this is another one of those examples i would pay way too much for :thumpsup:

looking forward to see what progress you make on it, how much money are you hinestly looking at spending on it and in what time frame? i had big ideas with my GC but in the end i bit the bullet and replaced all the steering linkages, front brake pads, seatbelts, fixed up the rust and painted over the repairs in grey primer and then left it at that and took it over the pits

im so happy now that i spent the money on making it drive well and safe before doing things to the car that didnt help me to get it over the pits ie paint and stereo - however stereo came a week after the pits inspection ;)

best of luck keep us updated

I'm not really in any rush to get her all done up and what not... it's going to be slow and gradual over a number of years. Just going to do whatever I can as I can afford to.
No idea how much I'm gonna end up spending on it.
ATM I wanna get new exhaust system... :-) had a chat with dad, and gonna see what we can work out for my birthday. ;-) (Usually means I'll only have to pay 75% of total for whatever is needed, and he'll pay the remaining 25%, and do it all free of labour charges... as my birthday pressie.)

She does need a wheel alignment... =/ so should probably get that done soon..!

Since getting new tyres (olds were bald, lol), she drives really well on dry road (and fast for a little old car, methinks - shh! I'm only on my first year Provisional license, and only meant to go 80KM, MAX... but I mean, c'mon... who sticks to that??? :P) I've got her to 100MILES (so whats that in KM? ... 160?) while racing my mates boyfriend in his Toyota on the back roads near here. My car won, of course... ;-)
Sucks on the wet though... I can be driving along at about 60/70km around a corner, and she'll start to slide sometimes O.o frustrating when I've gotta drive so slow...!
So much for GOOD new tyres!! :roll:
And she's pathetic on gravel roads, too... end up doing more of a drifting thing the entire drive than anything else, haha :-)
Must say, it certainly keeps my on my toes =]
'74 GB.

74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

EVL076 wrote:
74GalantGB wrote:Want bigger/wider tyres... love the chunky look. :D
hey, i got a set of Sigma GSR Pepperpots you can have for $400 with mint (195/50/15) tyres
they have been polished in the past, just need a clean up now - been sitting in the shed for a while
Thanks, but not overly fond of Pepperpots... they remind me of swiss cheese :lol:

i like the mags I've got on her now - only just got them a couple of months ago. :-)
'74 GB.

74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

81GL wrote:Yeah factory brakes are pretty ordinary (especially if you are used to a newer car).
GB... From memory you can bolt in a complete strut from a GH Sigma = Bigger & better front brakes
-Do you have boosted brakes?

Cheers.
Nick.
CERTAINLY not used to newer cars.
Cars I had before the Galant were a Morris Minor, and a Datsun 120Y (both just paddock-bashers).
Only other cars I really drive are my partners old Holden Gemini... and my mums old Mazda when I take her to town...

I don't think I have boosted brakes.. but I'm not sure?
'74 GB.

EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

74GalantGB wrote:Thanks, but not overly fond of Pepperpots... they remind me of swiss cheese :lol:
:P fair enough.. personally i reckon they are one of the best looking rims on a galant :P

and im glad you didnt get a $1.20's worth of Datsun too
the galant is such a better car :thumpsup:
Image Image
74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

74GalantGB wrote:Thanks, but not overly fond of Pepperpots... they remind me of swiss cheese :lol:

:P fair enough.. personally i reckon they are one of the best looking rims on a galant :P

and im glad you didnt get a $1.20's worth of Datsun too
the galant is such a better car :thumpsup:
Haha, nah I'm more than happy with mine :D

Yep, Galant is a faaaarrrr better car :-)
'74 GB.

74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

Dad got sick of me complaining about the pathetically small exhaust pipe on my car... so popped this on her today, without my knowing!
=P

'74 GB.

camB

Post by camB »

You've broken the GSR boys' hearts with the swiss cheese/pepperpot comment. :(
I do tend to agree though.

Good luck with the car - I know all about trying to fix stuff up on a budget. It tends to be more about prolonging roadworthiness rather than performance. Oh, and tell your Dad the exhaust tip has to go!
tango76hardtop

Post by tango76hardtop »

This is what your car will look like with the pepperpot rims
woops wrote:Finally got around to fitting some pepperpots to the gb after what feels like an eternity of polishing them at home.

I think i need to lower it and to suit the wheels and give the car another polish. I think the wheels have pretty much changed the nanna spec theme and i'm still deciding about keeping the visor on or taking it off and putting it into storage.
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

nice car, remove the exhaust tip though i rekon bahaha :P
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

:stupid:
74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

GC75 wrote:nice car, remove the exhaust tip though i rekon bahaha :P
Lol. Yeah, I'm not too fond of it.
Dad only really put it on as a joke, because I was complaining about the tiny exhaust pipe XD
But I'm keepin' it on anyways! Just for laughs ;-) 'til I can get the stuff I want done.. =]

Any suggestions, folks?? What exhaust tip (or whatever) would look good??
'74 GB.

GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

Just get a bigger exhaust system the whole way through if you plan on upgrading anything. Old cars = no tips, love the ole rattling exhausts suits our cars lol.
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

camB wrote:You've broken the GSR boys' hearts with the swiss cheese/pepperpot comment. :(
I do tend to agree though.

Good luck with the car - I know all about trying to fix stuff up on a budget. It tends to be more about prolonging roadworthiness rather than performance. Oh, and tell your Dad the exhaust tip has to go!
Haha.. well.. it's true. ;-) They don't look BAD... just look like cheese <.<
'74 GB.

74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

tango76hardtop wrote:This is what your car will look like with the pepperpot rims
haha... yeah.. I think I'll stick with what I've got on her ;-)
They're a bit.. tougher <.<
'74 GB.

DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Welcome, and GREAT Galant!!
You should be proud of ALF's original condition :thumpsup:

If the exhaust isnt leaking or rusted, keep it.
It makes it look like the Sundays Bowls car, which is way cool!
But if you really wanted to change it, maybe start with a 2" system from the engine bay fire wall back.

Save your money and pay attention to the Suspension and brakes :)
Check the Galant section, Builds, and Suspension sections and you will see loads of upgrades that you can do
and usually not too expensive :thumpsup:

Look after Alf, he/she is a beauty

Cheers Dan