My L200

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
wa5

My L200

Post by wa5 »

This fine vehicle, is my L200 ute, it was my Uncles, before I was fortunate enough to become its proud owner.

Originally a 2.0 5 speed, the engine was replaced with a 2.6, unfortunately, a BW 5 speed replaced the oringal box at the same time...

She starts every time, does take a while to pump up the fuel, if she hasnt been woken up for a few months, she may sit there for a year or two between drives..

The last picture shows the new after market bonnet I put on her recently... the original was starting to tear my hands up, when I lifted the bonnet.. (to put a battery in her). It cost $12.50..but I though "what the hell", I can afford it... unfortunately the bonnet did have a little damage on one corner, three months later, I still feel ripped off.

You may think that this vehicle is a teensy bit unroadworthy, but I can assure you that the (right front) brake still works fine. the first two feet of the exhaust system gives her a nice note, and the horn works as well as the day she was made..

The BW gearbox does have a little whine in all but 5th gear, oh, and fourth doesnt work. and it kinda sounds like a load of scrap being dumped into an industrial blender in first...

She does have a bit of rust in the floor, but a sturdy mat fixes that.

Wouldnt trade her for the world :)

GC75
Admin

Re: My L200

Post by GC75 »

:lol:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

i love it haha
no, seriously
city hunter

Post by city hunter »

lmao. DId someone park that thing in the ocean? I'm curious about the round headlights. We never had the, in the states, Only the large single rectangle on the early l200
73 galant coupe, 78 Lancer coupe, 84,85, and 86 ex1800 turbos, 87 minicab van supercharged, gto vr4, 4 starions. swb montero, mighty max, 88 cordia turbo. 65 debonair
80's Hero
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

:thumpsup: Love it :thumpsup:
I'll never complain about my rust again....
BTW, Ive found the best way to deal with rust in the floor is to get a stainless steel rack/shelf from an old oven or fridge and wire it down. Lasts for ages and keeps you cool in summer :thumpsup:
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
wa5

Post by wa5 »

My uncle farms cattle, so the old Mitsi copped a fair bit of cow manure behind the wheels, I dont think he ever washed it in the time he had it... 15 odd years... plus I live less than a mile from the coast... The L200s in Oz came with twin rounds, single and twin square/rectangle headlamps. I'd really like to bring her on a club run, anybody know where I could get a blue slip.......
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The least rusty part of that car must be the new bonnet :lol:
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
wa5

Post by wa5 »

Both the windscreen and the aluminium tray are suprisingly rust free :D
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Fully sic dude :thumpsup:
PS. you should enter the next summer nats, It might do alright
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
wa5

Post by wa5 »

with some of the junk that was there this year, a wash and a polish would probably garauntee entry...
wa5

Post by wa5 »

not sure where else to put this... Raymond Terrace Auto Dismantlers have had a pretty good L200 with no motor, just come in..

49876711. Hope this helps someone.

Fired my ute up last weekend, as I have a bit of a job for her... still running sweet. :)

The bonnet is starting to fade down to a nice matte finish... might get some pictures of the old girl loaded and working if I get the time.
ddt

Post by ddt »

aw.. i actually prefer the old bonnet. But i guess a bonnet catch is kinda important.. looks like the bonnet was missing the first 50mm or so.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
wa5

Post by wa5 »

Just fired the old girl up again, still running sweet, the bonnet is starting to get a nice rusty patina.....
Been thinking about putting some petrol in the old girl... cant remember the last time I did that....

I currently have three 2.6 powered cars... this, my "new" GJ and an 89 Pajero.... god the poor old Pajero has some serious noises coming from the timing chain....

just on the bonnet, I didnt replace the catch, dont really go fast enough in the old girl to worry about it....
A112H

Post by A112H »

The only thing this L200 / Triton can't climb hasn't been built yet
wa5

Post by wa5 »

Wonder what that show pony will look like in 30 years... the solid front diff conversion would have cost a dollar... Dont really like any of the current engines available in the new ones, but they do look good.
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Interested where you got that new bonnet from mate.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
wa5

Post by wa5 »

The bonnet was the last one, they were clearing old stock, it did have some damage on it.