dvsfin's story/rides

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
dvsfin

Re: dvsfin's story/rides

Post by dvsfin »

Ok dokie then.

I have acquired a white (well almost black at the moment) gk gsr sigma.

the bad: It is in pretty bad condition at the moment, it is covered in dirt and mould >_< there's plenty of rust, though so far nothing too serious that would make me want to scrap it, but I am thinking it may be easier to get some new doors and panels if I can. It's also missing some trim and I haven't had a chance to look under the car yet. And it needs a steering wheel, but I have that already under control :P

the good: it has a pretty strong efi 2.6 with a magna head and unknown internal work, supra 5 speed with short shifter and apparently some sort of LSD. The interior seems pretty decent as there is no major damage and nothing big missing, a new centre console might be on the cards :P

I don't have any current pics but here is what he sent to me before I bought it.

dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

oh yea, it also has a full set of semi slicks on the pepperpot rims
A112H

Post by A112H »

Someone has spent a bit of time and money on this, shame it was let get into that state. It certainly has the potential to become great again.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

What a find! Someone forgot it was there until they mowed their lawn? :|
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

I took advantage of the rain and used it to help me scrub off the filth that was covering the exterior of the sigma and it came up pretty decent except for the passenger front door,

speaking of which if anybody has a white gk gsr (I don't know which other model's will fit on) passenger front door and front left guard they are willing to sell to me then feel free to send me a pm :D

here are the pics from after of the quick clean

I can't wait to get this thing on the road :D
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WATANABE-sty ... 415cfd51b5

for the galant hmmmmm...thinking thinking

also I was wondering if anyone knows if this centre console is standard for a GSR as the other one's I have seen aren't the same, also if anyone has one that I could buy :)

orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

for those xxrs, look on ebay for a company in the states called lsd motorsport. youll save atleast 200
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

quick update, most progress was put on hold for the galant. But as of yesterday my gearbox has decided it was time to go to heaven, which doesn't surprise me due to the daily nature of my spirited driving, but the timing could have been better
though it has prompted work to be completed lol.

So in the mean time I am stuck driving this, it's no mitsubishi but it goes alright >_<

I miss driving the galant already :(
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

Ok dokie, after blowing my gearbox I have decided to restart the progress on my build :P

Firstly I will be rebuilding my motor as the car overheated one day quite severely and blew the head gasket :( so I am pulling the block down and getting everything checked out and sorted.

Before I started :P

new radiator, though it doesn't look much different to the old one, it is much bigger and in immaculate condition even though it has been sitting in my shed for the past 20 years. :)
I am pretty sure I got that shroud from vaughn.

Manifolds off and the rocker cover.

Head off and on its way to be ported and machined.

I forgot to take photos of when I was checking the EFI manifold for clearances, but I am sure you can guess what that looks like :P

I will try to get more photos and progress reports as I go along.

Enjoy :)
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

I had to line up my manifold again so I could work out fuel lines so I thought I would take a picture for you guys, even though the head is off.

dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

alrighty, the motor is back together and I am in the process of relocating the battery and installing the power distibution block and fuel lines etc.

just some happy snaps of the manifold

so close but so far away :S
foxpsi

Post by foxpsi »

nice work manifold is looking sweet.
It's four and a half hammers across!!!
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

Ok, seeing as it was raining all day today I couldn't really get much work done on my car like I was planning to do >_<

So I sat inside and played with my hoses and fittings :P and modified my fuel rail to suit a -6 fitting for the fuel pressure regulator.

This is what I have so far. The fittings still in the boxes need to go in the car so I haven't opened them.

dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

quick update.

Seeing as this rain has been so relentless I haven't really been able to do much in regards of finishing my car off :(

so I decided to refurbish my tail lights, though I forgot to take pictures along the way.

here are the finished items as I was putting them back together

this is them after I had finished washing, sanding, polishing and painting.

putting one together

after putting them both together

and on the car

and then seeing as it wasn't raining, I took the time to put my fuel tank back in, which I took out to run the new fuel lines and also I had cleaned out and treated for rust and then painted.

I hope you guys enjoy these ;P
A112H

Post by A112H »

Nice work, it's always amazing how great the tail lights clean up. Looks the goods :thumpsup:
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

thanks Jason, I spent a couple of days trying to get them perfect :P haha
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

ok quick update, haven't really been able to do much work to the galant as the s15 is costing me money >_<

firstly I needed a new pair of rear tyres ( I don't know why though >.> )

TOYO proxes R1R do the job exceptionally but they don't come cheap

secondly there had been a ungodly squeaking noise coming from the rear end and I had narrowed it down to the cusco adjustable camber arms sperical bearings being worn out, so I just replaced the whole arms with some neo tech items as I couldn't be bothered replacing bearings :P

mmmm hks hipermax fully adjustables :P

but back to the galant side, I have basically finished the car minus the motec wiring. here are some pics of the fuel system

also I found that the manifold didn't quite match up to the head, so I had to seal off one of the water ports and redrill it to make it smaller, otherwise there would be water everywhere >_<

first I welded up the hole then covered it with quicksteel to fill in the imperfections

then I filed back the quicksteel and sanded to get a flat surface

then I used the manifold gasket that I made myself as a template for the new hole :P

then to finish it off I used a drill and dremel to make the new hole and get it the right shape

finished product :)

after putting this on the car is basically complete,I just need to wire in the motec and after a quick tune she will be back on the road =D

I hope you guys enjoy this update :)
foxpsi

Post by foxpsi »

looking goody dvsfin tail lights are looking shmick!
Is the battery positive distribution block going to stay there in the engine bay ? or will you be moving it later ?
if you need a distribution for the power you can use the starter motor or alternator +ve bolt.
It's four and a half hammers across!!!
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

thanks fox, I am leaving it there as I am planning ahead for future mods ;)
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

looking the goods man
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

hmmmm, what a mess hahaha

dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

trying to tune this thing and my POS laptop keeps crashing because the motec system runs from DOS and windows 7 doesn't like it >_< ffs
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

ok dokay, I have pulled out an old pc with xp on it and it runs perfect, now I am having trouble getting it to spark >_< I have a signal coming from the magna hall effect sensor going to the ecu but no signal going from the ecu to the coil :( does anyone know what the ignition type should be set to on the ecu, I have tried what I think it should be but no results
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

Dont know if this help but i found this on the web, i just copied paste, hope it helpz

In order to run, the engine needs 3 things Air, Fuel and Spark at the right time. First you should check to see that there is spark, injector pulse and fuel pressure. If you are missing both spark and pulse, look at the error screen while cranking. See if Sync Status changes to OK once you are cranking. If it does not, make sure the basic setup is correct (Ref/Sync Mode, Number or Crank Teeth etc.) If sync status is okay and you have no spark or pulse, do a diagnostic test and make sure you get both spark and pulse. Once sync status is okay the ECU will provide both spark and pulse - assuming this ignition system and injectors have power.

If you have both spark and pulse and it wont start, use a timing light on the number 1 wire. Crank the engine with all spark plugs out and spark plug wires grounded. Go into the CRiP Set Screen and make sure the timing you see with the light, is the same as what is defined in the screen. If not, adjust the CRiP until they match. Remember your CRiP can still be out by 1 revolution even if the marks line up properly. Try adding 360 degrees to your CRiP and see if that helps.
4GB63t
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

IT'S ALIIIIIIVVVEEEEE!!!!!! and sounding very tough I might add :P

those of you who are on my facebook can see a short video of it running/revving

I don't know how to post a video on here though :S I will try and figure it out
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

ok, I uploaded my first ever video on to youtube just because I am so excited to get this running after working so hard on it hahaha

so here it is

http://youtu.be/uPhAPvwSTWk

sounds tough, enjoy :D
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

OH YEAH!!! Sounds awesome and revs very nicely - next, vid of your road test dvs! :thumpsup:
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

I already took it for a test drive, I couldn't video as I had my hands full. I realised coming into an intersection that I have no brakes though >_<
A112H

Post by A112H »

That does sound very nice, revs smooth too. Well done :thumpsup:
Can't wait to see a video on the raod :)
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

sounds sweet as. great job