75wagon's 75 GC Wagon with twin carbs (pic heavy)

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
shuggy

Re: 75wagon's 75 GC Wagon with twin carbs (pic heavy)

Post by shuggy »

yeh same, i had XC GS with phat treads, now that was fun to park
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

oldn64 wrote:
75wagon wrote:I don't think I've got the skill level for this one boys, and I certainly don't have the cash to pay someone to do it. I wonder how much of a nightmare it would be to engineer something like that?
Skill level you will have just need to work out what exactly you want. Engineering wouldnt be too much of a hassle as all you will be potentially doing is a roof chop, and most hotrodders have been down this path. (you will need to do this for the doors to line up and glass to fit. You immediate issues will be getting the coupe doors and rear quarter windows to align and seal properly with the roof. Would be interesting and hell sexy. Love the cartoonism...
The coupe wagon idea raises a few problems.
The coupes have a different A pillar angle to the wagons, so either the pillar angle would have to be changed, or the side window glass.
The next problem is the rear side glass, it would have to be custom made, along with the rubbers (but rubbers are easy).
Seat belt mounting points would have to be engineered.
Flip forward seats for rear occupant access.
Trying to made Gen 2 doors to a Gen 1 shell, as all wagon are Gen 1's from the screen back. Then trying to create a body line that meets up between the 2.

On that last point, I wonder if the GA/ GB coupes have the same angle screens as the wagons? Probably not, but the doors would probably line up better with the body?

As far as the cartoonism, have you seen this post? http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2891
oldn64 wrote:
75wagon wrote:Yep, it's quite heavy. One of the guys at work drove it and said it's got the heaviest steering he's ever experienced (but then again he's only a young bloke and probably only driven smalls cars or big ones with power steer). In reality it's ok when driving, but parking or slow speed is hard work.
Undo the screw on top the the steering box and fill it wil gearbox oil. I used to put gearbox oil and a teaspoon of bearing grease in mine and everyone who drove it commented about how light the steering was. This was in my GB with 185's on it and my GD with 205's on it. So look at your box probably has never been looked at....
I'm not complaining about it, even my wife is used to it. I've adjusted the box, and also run 36psi in the front tires.
The other factor to my heavy steering is the 6 inch increase to track width.
oldn64 wrote:
75wagon wrote:I don't know about power steering, I think can it be fitted to this style of steering or is it only for rack and pinion?
Is possible as it is a hyrdolic ram which attaches to the body and then to a point on the drag link. This does nto give you a power assisted steering box but a powered assisted steering. EH's did this from factory as an option and also some of the america muscle cars. You can get retro stuff fitted these days but the pricing is huge ($1600ish) I would just service the box suck it up and become a man. If a lady can drive mine with the 205's on it then you should be able to (this is not being sexist but realist. It is a known fact females are not as strong in the upper body, nor should they need to be.... Please do not take offence.

I wasn't complaining and I'm fine with it, I do think the young bloke at work is a bit soft though... :lol:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Not much has been happening lately with the wagon. I've had plenty of other commitments that have kept me busy. But I do have an update that is photo worthy...
Bought some GS badges from Shamcos.
Before__________________________________________________and After
Image________________Image

Image___Image

and just for curiosity sake here is what they look like on GD and the hardtop grills.

Image___Image

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

how much did they set you back? i like them on the coupe grill, they look the goods on yours too :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

shuggy wrote:how much did they set you back?
As in Shamcos for sale post $23 AUD each and $5 postage.
shuggy wrote:i like them on the coupe grill, they look the goods on yours too :thumpsup:
Actually, They look good on the hardtop grill from straight on, but I think from the side or on an angle not so good, as it sits so far forward. I think if Mitsubishi was going to put a badge there like that they would have recessed it into the grill further. If that was done I think it would look a lot better.

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

It's been a while so time for an update.

Since buying Lccoops LC Lancer Hatch, and selling my motor bike not much has happened to the wagon except for seeing a lot of garage time (parking, not being worked on). It's now insured to be driven a few times a month, and it's not costing me a lot of money to keep it (besides the usual rego/insurance costs).

I took it out for a cruise today (to Bunnings of all places), but It's still good to drive, turns heads, and draws a lot of thumbs up wherever it goes. I'm fitting the new windscreen rubber plastic chrome strip today (it's needed a new one for some time).

I'm looking for direction of what I should do with it?
I have even considered selling it, but I just can't do it (I think I'd rather see it sit in the shed unrego'd then see someone else drive it).
I need to make the motor/carb/cam combo work better that's for sure. It's a pig, and it doesn't go, but it makes a lot of noise (read as demands turned heads), it makes a good cruiser and that's about it.
I want to stay with the 1.6 (unless I can find the illusive 1750 saturn?), I also want to keep the factory twin solex's.
I'd love to get hold of a factory aircleaner for the twins. If anyone has one they want to part with (doubtful I know but worth an ask)?

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

OK, here's what I got done today

New windscreen rubber plastic fitted.

Anyone who's had a good look at my car would have known the badges off the front guards and bonnet were missing. I had problems with trying to find the plastic things that hold the badges into the panel. I bought ones from an MG. They are about the right size OD (outside diameter) but the ID (internal diameter) is too small. I fitted them too the guard, then used the back end on the right size drill bit and used heat to make them the right size. It worked perfectly. I impressed myself :$
And to think, I've had these badges sitting in my glovebox for 2 years because I couldn't get them to fit?

I'm up for suggestions, what colour should I paint the coloured part of the Galant badge on the guard? I don't care about originality (if I did the car wouldn't be the colour it is), I just want it to look right. Any thoughts on maybe the same colour as the wheels, metallic grey?

Dave...
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

i rekon orange badges on the qtr panels would look good :thumpsup:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Looking really nice.
"New Windscreen rubber plastic"?
IIRC, the GC/GD wagons had GA/GB winsdscreens.
Where did those "New Windscreen rubber plastics" come from?
I want some :P
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

tandanus wrote:"New Windscreen rubber plastic"?
Yep, the plastic chrome strip (it's a stainless steel strip in a GC/GD sedan).
tandanus wrote:Where did those "New Windscreen rubber plastics" come from?
You buy it by the lineal metre from:
Morton's Auto Restoration Supplies
Rubber Products--Retail - Barnsley, NSW
(02) 4953 1411
Address
47 Northville Drv, Barnsley NSW 2278, Australia

Take a sample with you in your hand of what you need. He sold me the wrong one. I didn't realise till after I had it home. I just put it in the car anyway. I had to remove the ridge through the centre of the rubber so it could fit (I wasn't worried it was the wrong one, the rubbers are old anyway).

Be warned, you're better off going in just before closing time. They know how to talk :lol:

Dave...
A57C

Post by A57C »

now that you've puts some km's on them, what's your opinion on the oem twin carbies?

i'm presently making an adapter plate to run my set on the a2 g54b
reason is i want to use my factory air cleaner (H)

also need to adapt un-humped rocker cover as the a2 cover fouls the oem cleaner

if i can't get the setup to run well, i'll have to look into other options
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

75wagon wrote:I'd love to get hold of a factory aircleaner for the twins. If anyone has one they want to part with (doubtful I know but worth an ask)?
Dave,

Try Ebay UK. I saw some for sale on there a few months ago. My dad just recently bought one from somewhere over seas so I will find out where.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Re: Windscreen trim
Tops ! :thumpsup:
Thanks Dave
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

burabuda wrote:now that you've puts some km's on them, what's your opinion on the oem twin carbies?
This is not my first set of them.
I had a GB Galant years ago with them.
I rate them highly.
I have spent a lot of money to obtain a complete set. I had to buy 2 sets to complete them.

It has been spoken of on this site many times that downdraught weber's perform better. I my wagon's case that is true, but my old GB was a weapon. I wish I knew what cam and ignition set up it was running :think:

BTW burabuda where are photos of your GTO?
tandanus wrote:Re: Windscreen trim
Tops ! :thumpsup:
Thanks Dave
No probs, glad I could help.
Nath76LA wrote:Try Ebay UK. I saw some for sale on there a few months ago. My dad just recently bought one from somewhere over seas so I will find out where.
UK, really? Didn't know they had them there? I knew the USA had them.

Dave...
A57C

Post by A57C »

hmm, i've seen the manifolds fs here in the usa, but never the carbies or air cleaner

recall the manifolds (both 1.6 & 2.0 style) were avail. new from direct connection
you were instructed to purchase a 2nd stock carbie and fabricate the linkage, etc.

honestly, i just need my setup to go well until i do the future efi swap
didn't really want to get into messing about with running twin dgv's or dgav's (would they even clear the bonnet?)

but back to the question: what are your overall impressions? (aside from the fact it'd go harder with webers)
and please point me in the right direction if anybody here has run twin dgv's

er, don't have any decent pics of my car due to the fact i parked it in the garage with the intention of fixing a few things before i was able to do a photo shoot. that was 2 yrs ago ... :lol:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

burabuda wrote:hmm, i've seen the manifolds fs here in the usa, but never the carbies or air cleaner

recall the manifolds (both 1.6 & 2.0 style) were avail. new from direct connection
you were instructed to purchase a 2nd stock carbie and fabricate the linkage, etc.
I thought I'd seen new car brochures with Galant's/Lancer's (Dodge Colt's) with the twin carb set ups from over there?
burabuda wrote:honestly, i just need my setup to go well until i do the future efi swap
didn't really want to get into messing about with running twin dgv's or dgav's (would they even clear the bonnet?)

but back to the question: what are your overall impressions?
It is an improvement on a single. The sound is much better then a single.
The do out perform a single, but I wouldn't say it would make all that much difference on quarter mile times.
If you have to muck around to much with making parts to do it, I would probably have to advise not to bother (not if you plan to go EFI afterwards). I think it would just be an exercise in spending money and wasting time in the process. Time that could be spent putting together an EFI set up.
burabuda wrote:what are your overall impressions? (aside from the fact it'd go harder with webers)
and please point me in the right direction if anybody here has run twin dgv's
The manifold sits at the same carb base height as a standard carb. So if the webers fit on a standard manifold under the bonnet, then so would twins.
burabuda wrote:er, don't have any decent pics of my car due to the fact i parked it in the garage with the intention of fixing a few things before i was able to do a photo shoot. that was 2 yrs ago ... :lol:
Oh, c'mon. I don't care if they are decent. Build pics are a good thing too.

Just for the record: The thing with me and the twin carbs on my wagon, is because I was trying to rebuild what i had in my youth. Ok, it's a GC wagon, not a GB sedan, but I managed to get hold of the carbs, so I put them on.

Dave...
ghuphill

Post by ghuphill »

i think that once you have a nice combination sorted out with the motor you will be fine,personaly i would go for some extra cubic inches ,and as you said get the right head cam ,dizzy(electronic) combo in tune with the carbs and some extra torque i think you would be happy,i personaly think the badges would look good in white detail,including the gs badge, and NO DONT SELL IT. :thumpsup:
A57C

Post by A57C »

thx for that info
i've concluded that the original twin carbies are not the right match for the g54b
now, i'm in a bit of a quandry: do i sell off the air cleaner and carbies as a complete unit or separate them? :\

re: no pics, i'm the first to admit how lame that is
fact is i've never been much of a build thread guy

even my close friends complain about the lack of pics :roll:
ozgdgalants

Post by ozgdgalants »

Hi Dave Re the 1600 galant guard badges GB/GC original colours should be a red/orange colour?. GDs are Green i hope this helps?.

On your wagon maybe match the orange on your wheel centre caps would look great i think?.

One more thing DON'T SELL IT it's a part of your life it would be like selling your kids?.

see ya cheers wayne.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Here's a question for you:

I'm looking for direction on where to go with this? I don't know whether to leave my wagon alone or to do a 2.6 EFI conversion on it. I am chasing a little bit more speed (still not interested in going turbo or anything) 100kws at the back wheels would do me (or in the ball park).

The question is this, do I do a conversion on my wagon or leave it how it is? Would I ruin my car if I did?

Any direction/opinions anyone could give me would be much appreciated. Fact is, I'm a bit lost at the moment and don't know which way I should go?

Dave...
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

if you do it right, the 2.6 conversion will be awesome man

and i know you'll do it right :thumpsup:
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Did you want to check out my wagon so you can see how everything fits up, how it handles with the extra weight, etc? Only has a weber, no EFI, but i'm happy with the power. Certainly goes better then most 1.6's.

Done right it should be almost a bolt in job. If you decide to go back to standard one day there shouldn't be too many issues.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

C_Fernance wrote:Did you want to check out my wagon so you can see how everything fits up, how it handles with the extra weight, etc?
Yeah, it would be great to do that. You haven't commented on it at all, are you happy with it?

I'm a bit concerned that I will spoil my car. I love my wagon, the balance and everything. I had another build planned, but it's beyond my control, I don't know what's going on with it?

I was thinking of doing up another type of car, but I just don't think I can part with my wagon?

Dave...
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Hi Dave,

From what I've heard, the 4G54's are fairly heavy motor and my ruin that nice balance. I think being able to drive one already with a 4G54 is a good idea as it may not be up to your liking or you might be happy with it.

Another idea is the 4G63 N/A. They put out 100KW stock and believe they are lighter than a 4G54. Maybe if TJ comes to the next meeting with his hardtop, maybe he'll let you see what that's like. I guess it may also comes down to how much each conversion costs as well.

It would be good to have a couple of people that have done either conversion to give some feadback on pro's and con's for their conversion as far handling, driving and cost goes.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Nath76LA wrote:It would be good to have a couple of people that have done either conversion to give some feedback on pro's and con's for their conversion as far handling, driving and cost goes.
Yes, that would be good.

I have a 4G54 Astron 1 in the garage with everything ready to bolt in. I would rather go EFI if I was going 2.6.
Having the 2.6 wideblock with gearbox, extractors and exhaust, takes a fair wack out of the price it costs to convert.

I'm just not sure I should do it?

Dave...
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

^^ What he said ^^
4G63 NA + Throttle bodies X4. Use an RVR head (no need to hassle with the CPS) :thumpsup:
T.
John Ruskin
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

Keep the wagon as is! Its awesome.

2.6 the hatch. It will go heaps better, and be funner to drive.
71 GA Galant - Project
Build thread is here: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5600
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

FWIW, I would leave it pretty much as is (ie. virtually in a factory spec) .... but then of course a nicely built 2L is also "factory" for a 2nd gen Galant, if you want a little more grunt (H)
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Nath76LA wrote:Hi Dave,
Another idea is the 4G63 N/A. They put out 100KW stock and believe they are lighter than a 4G54. Maybe if TJ comes to the next meeting with his hardtop, maybe he'll let you see what that's like. I guess it may also comes down to how much each conversion costs as well.
I'd be more than happy to show you the pros and cons. It's getting there, just got wiring to do now... that makes it sound easier than it actually is :banh:
I think it's probably the only (simple) way to get that sort of power without a turbo or a big, heavy 2.6L. Not to discredit the 2.6 at all, but it will alter the feel of the car on the road. As for the cost of a '63 conversion, mine hasn't cost me too much money, but I've been using as much original parts from the donor car as I can which I will admit, is making it more difficult.

perhaps a 2L astron with some extensive internal work? its a middle ground I guess.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

FWIW, I would leave it pretty much as is (ie. virtually in a factory spec)
Having seen your car in person, I think it is a great car as is.

Another thing is, going to 2.0L or 2.6L I imagine you would need to get the car engineered. Iknow it's not a too bigger issue but just something to keep in mind.
but then of course a nicely built 2L is also "factory" for a 2nd gen Galant, if you want a little more grunt
I think the set up in my dad's old GB Galant would of been something you would of liked. It had a 4G63 SOHC but with a GS cam and twin solex's out of a Sapporo GSR . It wasn't much heavier than the 4G32 and didn't ruin the cars handling, sounded just as good if not better than a 4G32 with twin solex's, had just under 100KW's, went hard and it was all "factory". Metry's dad can tell you what it was like to drive.
It's a shame they never sold this set up here in the Scorpion's and that they are now hard to find in NZ.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop