75wagon's 75 GC Wagon with twin carbs (pic heavy)

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
75wagon
Admin

Re: 75wagon's 75 GC Wagon with twin carbs (pic heavy)

Post by 75wagon »

Finally getting around to fitting the other motor I have had sitting around for way too long.

It was out of a car I bought years ago. It's had a rebuild not long before I bought the car. It's been bored and had the block skimmed (you can see the raised section where the engine number is). Because it's been a while since it's been used, I'm replacing all of the gaskets. In these pics, the timing case cover has just been fitted, and also had a new rear main seal fitted. I've also fitted a new timing chain, and have a heavy duty clutch waiting to go on as well.
I'll be using the head that is currently on my wagon (reco'd a little while back). I'll be getting into fitting this as soon as I have finished some other small jobs in my garage. I hope to have it in and running in just over 1 week.

This has been way to long in me getting motivated to do this. Truth is, I was waiting for something to go wrong with the current motor, it finally happened last week, the timing chain tensioner has gone? Glad I was close to home when it happened.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

75wagon wrote:Getting ready for the cruise tomorrow.

Painted all the underguards black.
So much more to do.
If only I had enough time to do everything it needs :think:
Were these pics taken at your house???? coz you seem to have a HUGE amount of under cover room there!!!!!!
Built with pride, Driven in anger
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Yes the pics are at my house.
Yes I do have a bit of undercover area to play with.
I didn't buy it like this, I saved up for 15 years, and built what I need.
I currently have a 6m x 9m (3 car garage) and a 6m x 10.5m carport, and it's still not enough :P

You can't have everything though...

I forgot to mention earlier, I also picked up a new oil pump from the States. They don't seem to be available in Australia anymore :think:
I still have to get a new water pump, but the one I have on my current motor was replaced by me a few years back, so that should do till I get a new one.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I've started finally on getting the fresh 1600 in.
All the motor stuff is disconnected, now I need to drop the tail shaft, and pull the gear stick out.
I'll be fitting another 5 speed box at the same time as the motor change over and install of the heavy duty clutch.
The current head will be used on the new bottom end.

Here's a vid of the last time I'll hear the old 1600.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=102 ... =2&theater

Last pic of the complete motor that has entertained me for the last 7 years.

Dave...
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

R.I.P. :P

Will she ever be used again??
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Not as it is.
The bottom end needs a freshen up, It's got a bit of blow by.
natosig

Post by natosig »

Awsome wagon love the attention to detail good work
84 gk sigma
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Oh so it isn't the absolute end?
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I've been a bit slack working on this, but I made some positive progress this morning.
Project shifter shortener is completed.
I shortened the stick height by 40mm (which in my opinion is the perfect stick height and length for a 5 speed stick in a Galant).

I separated the 2 piece gearstick, machined the area for the new thread, cut the thread using a die with the factory 10 x 1.25mm, then put it all back together again.

Yes it's a small step, but one I've felt the car has needed since I first started driving it back in 2004.

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Well, after way to many weeks of my wagon just sitting in the shed gathering dust, I'm finally getting into it.
Here's this mornings effort so far.

Still a bit of work to go. But i want this running a driving for Harry's at Liverpool next Saturday night.

Dave...
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

75wagon wrote:I shortened the stick height by 40mm (which in my opinion is the perfect stick height and length for a 5 speed stick in a Galant)
I discovered earlier this year when installing my new gearbox that there are at least 2 different gearstick lengths.

My original (4-speed) stick is 200mm long from the base of the stick (the wide part) to where the thread for the knob starts. I always felt it was too long - especially the reach to 1st gear. Not sure if it was the original GB stick or not, as it was in the car when I bought it. Gearbox may have been from a GD, as that's what the motor was from.

The stick on the 5-speed JDM Galant/Lancer box I now have in the car is 175mm long. It may not seem a lot of difference, but it's a MUCH better length & falls to hand more easily (I wouldn't want it much shorter in the rally car, don't want to be "searching" for it !)

I have another 4-speed stick that is 175mm long too.

Just a variation between models/years perhaps ?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

davetrees wrote:I discovered earlier this year when installing my new gearbox that there are at least 2 different gearstick lengths.
Interesting, after reading this, I just went out to my garage and measured the 3 sticks I have there. I measured a 4 and 5 speed stick, they were both about 175mm, and the one I shortened is 135mm dead on to the bottom of the thread.
davetrees wrote:(I wouldn't want it much shorter in the rally car, don't want to be "searching" for it !)
With the driving position the Recaro puts me in, I'm sitting about 20mm or more lower then a standard Galant seat.
I'm looking forward to driving it once I get it back together, the stick height has irritated me since 2004.

Meanwhile, more progress in the shed.
Took the opportunity while the motor was out to give everything I cant get to with the motor in a good clean.

And the current mess in my garage as it sits now. With parts laying everywhere. Some are drying from painting, some are cleaned ready to go, and some I'm having problems removing.

I'm currently trying to get the alternator off the old motor to go onto the new. I'm not having much luck, the nut is off, but the bolt seems corroded in place. I've sprayed some WD40 on it, I'd use the rattle gun to move it, but I don't want to snap the bolt. Everytime I put pressure on the bolt to turn, you can see the top of the bolt flex, but the other end doesn't budge. I'll give the WD40 a bit more time to work, then I'll see what happens.

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Just about to give up for the night, but I'm on target to complete what I want to complete this weekend.

I've just about finished all the painting and detailing I want done before this goes in.

And the part I've been sitting on for a few years waiting to use on this engine.
A Cheaterparts adjustable cam gear. I ended up buying this off kodos when I also bought a No5 cam off him (must have been back in 2009?).

Brand new oil pump thanks to Dodge Colt searches on US Ebay (shame about the postage prices though).

This HD clutch has been waiting way to long to go into the wagon, I must have bought this about 3 years ago? I've had a soft clutch for a long time now, I was getting over it.

Dave...
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Looking very neat indeed :) what's the deal with the new engine? The specs it has/will have?
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

75glnt wrote:The specs it has/will have?
- block has been skimmed, although I haven't measured exactly how much.
- bore is 1mm oversize.
- No.5 cam (as in my previous motor)
- just slightly oversized valves (as in my previous motor)
- twin factory carbs (as in my previous motor)
- HD clutch (approx 30% heavier then standard
- not balanced or lightened or anything special like that, just a bottom end I picked up out of a car I stripped years ago, and been waiting for a reason to finally use it. And some parts I've picked up along the way. It's not a race car it's a cruiser, but it'll go alright when it's put together. I'm confident of that.

Dave...
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Still nice :) so, 1mm is 40thou over right?
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I'm just quoting off what's stamped on the top of the piston.
1.00 I assume that's 1mm? I could be wrong, I've been wrong before.

I'm sure I'll be corrected though... :think:
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Looking good Dave.

I think I'm going to come out to Harry's next Saturday.
1976 Galant Hardtop
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

75wagon wrote:I'm just quoting off what's stamped on the top of the piston.

40thou = 1.016mm if you want to be anal... :lol:

Cheers.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

I knew it was close enough to 1mm. My 1600 is 40thou over
N/A ALL THE WAY
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

75wagon wrote: I'm currently trying to get the alternator off the old motor to go onto the new. I'm not having much luck, the nut is off, but the bolt seems corroded in place. I've sprayed some WD40 on it, I'd use the rattle gun to move it, but I don't want to snap the bolt. Everytime I put pressure on the bolt to turn, you can see the top of the bolt flex, but the other end doesn't budge. I'll give the WD40 a bit more time to work, then I'll see what happens.
Had exactly this problem with mine.

We solved it with lots of WD40, then put a nut on the end just covering the end of the thread and gave it a few belts with a hammer. This loosened in a little, then we took the nut off & used a slightly smaller diameter bolt as a drift to drive it out.

Will depend whether the alternator bracket is threaded or not (mine wasn't).
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

75wagon wrote:
75glnt wrote: not balanced or lightened or anything special like that
If you can afford the couple of hundred dollars it will cost, it's well worth getting the clutch cover/flywheel/crank/pulley balanced .... it makes an enormous difference to the way it revs & general smoothness.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I ended up getting the alternator bolt out using the rattle gun. I tried for about 2 mins alternating direction (didn't matter either way it had no nut on it, and the hole wasn't threaded). I oiled the rattlegun and turned up the air pressure on my compressor and that sorted it out pretty quickly. I would say that the bolt had been there since I 1st put the motor in for the 1st time I registered it back in 2004, but I might not have undone that bolt at all? I can't remember if I used the alternator off the original motor, or the one that I just removed?
davetrees wrote:If you can afford the couple of hundred dollars it will cost, it's well worth getting the clutch cover/flywheel/crank/pulley balanced .... it makes an enormous difference to the way it revs & general smoothness.
I got talked out of it by an engine builder back in May of this year when I originally posted pictures of this motor and my intention to install it. I went out to get quotes to do it all. And it's too late now anyway, I've fitted up all of my new gasket kit, and it'll be in the car and running by the end of the weekend.
It was certainly my original intention.
Just for interest sake, to quote the engine builder "If it's not in a race car, then I wouldn't bother, and if it's not going above engine speeds intended by the original manufacturer then I wouldn't bother at all, as the original balancing is pretty good and you'd never really notice just driving on the road anyway".
I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but it's too late anyway as the motor is just about in the car, but that is the comment that turned me off doing it.

Dave...
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

75wagon wrote:I'm just quoting off what's stamped on the top of the piston.

The pistons in my LC are also 1mm oversized, which is just under 40 thou.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

75wagon wrote:I ended up getting the alternator bolt out using the rattle gun. I tried for about 2 mins alternating direction (didn't matter either way it had no nut on it, and the hole wasn't threaded). I oiled the rattlegun and turned up the air pressure on my compressor and that sorted it out pretty quickly. I would say that the bolt had been there since I 1st put the motor in for the 1st time I registered it back in 2004, but I might not have undone that bolt at all? I can't remember if I used the alternator off the original motor, or the one that I just removed?
Nice one .. they can be a b1tch. Just a tip - give the bolt a good smear of anti-seize lube before re-installing it.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The stuff you find you spend your time on instead of what you think you need to :think:

I trial fitted the head this morning to find this.
It's going to be pretty hard to get that through rego without the engine number being fully visable.

The red section is what needed removing.

It now looks like this.

And why I didn't have a problem on my last motor. It's a late model non balance shaft import motor. The engine number tab is a completely different shape so you could read the number perfect.
I had a lot of problems trying to rego this when I first put it in my wagon. I had to take it into the RTA inspection station to get it approved.

The head is now torqued down, I've advanced the cam 1 degree. Why? Because the dowel pin on the cam wasn't lining up at 42 degrees ATDC.

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Just about to take it off the engine stand and fit the flywheel clutch and gearbox.

Dave...
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

:thumpsup: for a smooth install and startup...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Other side.

And it's about time I got a 5 speed knob onto the 5 speed box.
It had vice grip (or multigrip) tooth marks on the alloy base. I put it in my lathe, spun it up, sanded out the tooth marks and re-polished it. it looks good enough to go into the wagon now.

I've got most things ready to go now for tomorrow's install. I still need to buy things like oil filter, and a new set of spark plugs.
When it's all up and running, I'll most likely convert the distributor to the electronic ignition distributor I have had sitting in wait for a while now.
But the most important thing is to get it running reliably for next Saturday night for Harry's at Liverpool. That's about 400kms return for me, there's no way I'm doing that without a couple of hundred km's testing first.

Dave...
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Looking good mate :thumpsup: