75wagon's 75 GC Wagon with twin carbs (pic heavy)

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
75wagon
Admin

Re: 75wagon's 75 GC Wagon with twin carbs (pic heavy)

Post by 75wagon »

I was talking to my brother in law about this last night.
coltspeed2000 on the site, yes he's very quiet here, but been into old school Mitsu's about the same time as me, and he has been there with me through my GB and LB hatch days. He also had the same love of those cars.

So where I' at is this. A project I was going to do (another wagon) has fallen through (for various reasons). So I'm left with my wagon (which has always been to precious for me to touch/modify), my hatch which is my daily and is running well and a bit of fun that turns heads where ever it goes because of the paint/wheels combo. I don't really want to spend any money on it as such, I was going to respray it, but I think my lack of time at the moment will end that.

I have in my shed a complete 2.6 conversion that I was planning on taking that bit further and making it EFI too. This is the set up that was going in the new wagon that is now not going to happen. I wish I could buy 77GDWAGON's car, but the fact is I don't have enough coin to do it, and his wagon, just like mine is too original and way to tidy to convert it to a 2.6 anyway.

Anyway, so talking to coltspeed2000 last night about the pros and cons of converting and I realised the one major thing that I don't want to change. The way the wagon sounds. So that would make it a bit hard to change anything really?

It looks like I'm just going to have to save up and buy another wagon to put my gear in. A clean slate to start with.
Then I can put all of my collected bits in it. I've got a few things, factory tacho, console, manual conversion (for if it's an auto), 13x6 hustlers same as on my wagon (which clear the 2.6 front brakes and keep it looking old school), coupe grill (that needs a bit of a resto) and a few other bits, but they are the interesting ones.
Tj. wrote:I've been using as much original parts from the donor car as I can which I will admit, is making it more difficult.
What donor car did you buy? FWD GSR Galant?
tandanus wrote:4G63 NA + Throttle bodies X4. Use an RVR head (no need to hassle with the CPS) :thumpsup:
Yep, I'd love to do it. There's a GTO on youtube with something similar done to it. What do you think that would cost, and where on earth would you even find the parts to do it?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

N/A DOHC 4G63's come in a variety of car's, HH, HG and HJ Galants, old Sonata's, I think some Elantra's and maybe even first gen Tiburon

Quad throttle body kits
http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?op ... &Itemid=51
http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_inf ... cts_id=113

Or you can adapt a factory set from a SR20DET or 4AGE 20V

Try and tell me these don't sound cool
2.0 Pinto with EFi and quads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glItCXh-MvI
Quad TB N/A 4G63
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eu0QWAOSS4

This is a pretty cool set up using Skyline GTR throttle bodies. Although the RB uses 6 tb's they are made up of 3 lots of 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67_DN-vuOGw
A112H

Post by A112H »

I even found a "how to" on using GTR TB's and making a manifold
http://www.4gtuner.com/index.php?/topic ... -throttle/
woops

Post by woops »

The Sonata would be the cheapest option for sourcing the 4g63 out of. Or you could get the 1.8L from the Hyundai Lantra as the head is almost the same. Also they were made available between about 93 and 98 Sonata's which i wouldn't call that old, although i've never owned a car any newer then from the 80's. Also the 4AGE 20V is the easiest to get to fit. All you need to to make a basic adapter plate to convert the mounting patterns.

An example of the setup on a 4g63.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Yeah I used a sonata as a donor. They're much easier to find, and cheaper when you do.

I've heard that the 4AGE is the simplest setup to adapt. I might go down that path, but I have another rather silly idea in mind but I'm going to keep hush about that until I know if its possible and when I have the means to do it. It's another stupid idea that will be unecessary, overly difficult but different and damn cool if I ever pull it off. :thumpsup:
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Hey Dave,
I found your cars (evil) twin here in Adelaide:

(H)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Hotwire wrote:Hey Dave,
I found your cars (evil) twin here in Adelaide:
Yeah, I've seen that one before. I think I saw it on Ebay a while back?
The blue isn't doing it for me :think:
It's awesome tidy though :thumpsup:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

OK, I haven't had much time to work on either of my cars, but it hasn't stopped me collecting stuff for them.
Here's a small up date of what I've picked up for the wagon over the last couple of months.

A distributor (converted to electronic ignition) and a 5 speed knob (thanks to A112H for the knob :thumpsup:), I've only been after one since I built the wagon. I've been running a 4 speed knob that I machined the top off and then repolished to remove the 4 speed pattern for the last 7 years now.

The electronic distributor came with the original box, receipt and instructions (+ the original points that came out of it)
And before anyone asks, no I haven't fitted the distributor yet (I'll get there one day, I think I must have bought it about 2 months ago :think: )

Dave...
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Curse you!
I wanted that knob :roll:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Too slow :P
You snooze you lose.

Dave...
guylant

Post by guylant »

you were better of useing a starion dizzy thats what in running on my 32 never had a ploblem with it
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Yesterday I travelled down to Sydney for a few meets.
Firstly the JDMST meet at Penrith
I got a few pics taken of my car, thought I'd share them as they weren't bad pics.

other pics from the meet here...

I then went on to the Harry's Cafe De Wheels meet at Liverpool (why not, I had travelled down from Newcastle already, might as well take advantage).

bigbird tagged along with me for the night, we even got a chance to get our drift RC cars out and give them a crack on the track marked out in the underground carpark.

Whilst there, I met up with ozgdgalants and 2Lgalant. Thanks Wayne for getting me a spot in amongst your car club, without it I would have been down in the far end of the carpark. :thumpsup:
It was the biggest meeting at Liverpool I have ever seen, anyone who decided not to come definitely missed out.

Dave...
webby

Post by webby »

I was just going to post those pics for you, didn't know if you'd seen them or not.
Looks tops, as always (H)
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

webby wrote:I was just going to post those pics for you, didn't know if you'd seen them or not.
Yeah, my nephew sent me the link.
They were up before I got home.
webby wrote:Looks tops, as always
Thanks mate :thumpsup:

I sort of wish I gave it a polish now, it would have looked so much better :$
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

1 more pic from the JDMST meet.
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

man thoose are the coolest station wagons i ever seen! fukn turbo it bro! would be such a good 'low rider' awsome build guys!
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

:hit:
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

75wagon wrote:Image
...God that looks good. Makes me regretting that I'm playing with a girls car at the moment, grandma cars are so much hotter :banh:

How were the JDMST guys Dave? They seem to be a pretty active mob.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
A112H

Post by A112H »

75wagon wrote:1 more pic from the JDMST meet.
5 kinds of :thumpsup:
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

81GL wrote:How were the JDMST guys Dave? They seem to be a pretty active mob.
I'm curious about this too. I'm not a huge fan of the modern import scene but some, in not most of em seem to appreciate old school j-tin so I guess they can't be completely written off.
I heard there was a bit of shenanigans at the last end of month meet at eastern creek that got them in a bit of strife, the organisers obviously did their best to avoid it and definitely don't condone it but it still happened. I'm not keen on mixing with that sort of crowd if I can avoid it. Gains a little too much attention from the 5-0.

Still, I want to get a bit more active with meets and there doesn't seem to be any regular old school meets apart from the (sometimes) annual All Japan Day which I keep missing :$
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

Tj. wrote:
81GL wrote:How were the JDMST guys Dave? They seem to be a pretty active mob.
I'm curious about this too. I'm not a huge fan of the modern import scene but some, in not most of em seem to appreciate old school j-tin so I guess they can't be completely written off.
I heard there was a bit of shenanigans at the last end of month meet at eastern creek that got them in a bit of strife, the organisers obviously did their best to avoid it and definitely don't condone it but it still happened. I'm not keen on mixing with that sort of crowd if I can avoid it. Gains a little too much attention from the 5-0.

Still, I want to get a bit more active with meets and there doesn't seem to be any regular old school meets apart from the (sometimes) annual All Japan Day which I keep missing :$
I'm still a fan of the newer stuff as well (having owned quite a few in my time) so i find the meets good.
After taking the Galant to the last one, i left about half an hour before any shenanigans, as TJ put it, started.

At the largest point there were over 1200 cars parked in Eastern Creek with over 1500 entering throughout the night.
I got people asking about mine and after walking around the venue came back to find a gathering around it asking what was under the hood.
This kind of attention is what the site (and a little bit for my ego) need to get the name around.

They have an EOMM (end of month meets) - like the name says - every month in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
Join up and take a look around, like every forum there is "Trolling" and hating, but all in all its a good site. Much the same as here.

For those that dont know the site, its http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

Tj.

Post by Tj. »

I think I might have a stickybeak at the next event. I think the only way to get more classic stuff to these shows is to stop whining and just take our cars out there.
Might start off with the Galant though, not just because the Zed is still pretty rough round the edges but because the Galant has all the papers to stop me from getting into trouble should it arise. (A)
Maybe we should try and get a group from S-G together at one of these one night? Saves us organising anything.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I don't mind later model stuff.
I don't mind tuner stuff.
I love Hot Rods
and I also love a quality piece of old school 4 cylinder metal (does not have to be Jap).

I'm up for anything really, except, going to look at cars that are obviously not rare, lowered and with a set of wheels (eg late model Pulsars, Corollas, Lancers, and of course lets not forget Commodores and Falcons etc...).
The Penrith meet had IMO too many of this style of car. That is why I did not bother going to the Eastern Creek meet (I couldn't be bothered driving to Sydney to look at cars I can see in shopping centre carparks, as that was for the majority what I expected to see there).
77galantv6 wrote:Join up and take a look around, like every forum there is "Trolling" and hating, but all in all its a good site. Much the same as here.
I have joined up (took me almost a week to get the confirmation email so anyone wanting to join, don't wait up for your reply), had a bit of a look around the site. So far unimpressed :think: But I think I need to give it a bit more time? I'm seeing too much slagging on members who's cars aren't quick (mine fits in this category). I'm also seeing to many telling others what they need to do to their cars (I don't mind suggestions, but some of what I've seen makes me not want to post on there at all).
webby

Post by webby »

JDMST is suffering from an overabundance of hipsters tbh, most of them seem to only be in it for the e-fame that comes with owning a "stanced" car these days. There's also a majority of clowns who'll rip on any S-chassis that isn't done to their tastes (big kit, 18/19 stagger, hellaflush bullshit with aqua tint), but that's not relevant.
That said, a lot of the folks on there do mean well, and are friendly enough.
I think it'd be cool if we could get a little club display happening at one of the EOMM's, as they're really the only regular formal meets going at the moment. Get a bit of exposure going for the old Mitsu's :thumpsup:
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
SIKMA

Post by SIKMA »

I joined JDMST as my father drives a DA Integra as his daily. Well it sure doesnt have hellaflush stance and decked full of JDM merchandise. As expected, my ride thread is probably on page 100 now hahaha
1992 Toyota Cressida Grande - 2jzgte + Garrett GT35r, BPU mods
1985 Mazda RX7 - 12A Rotary
1985 Nissan Bluebird TRX - CA20S
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

thats a great read mate. love the wagon :thumpsup: (and i'm not one for wagons tbh no offence :) ) my opinion is; you should keep the 1.6. if you want more power. its obviously possible to get it out of a na 1.6. i have a 1.6 in my gb. its plenty enough powerful. (if you're not carefull you'll lose it (im only running 165/75r13s atm though)) but it's fully worked... so there's alot of (some say wasted) money gone into it. but i love it. but honestly i love the 1.6s note with the right exaust, cam and carb.

cheers,
mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I realised today that I had a couple of globes not working.
Both of my parking lights weren't working, one reverse light, the front left blinker and my radio had stopped working?
I obviously haven't been spending enough time on it or driving the wagon for that matter, so I gave it the time it needed today.
All light checked/contacts cleaned and replaced as needed, radio contacts checked and front speakers cleaned out (they are on the floor in front of the front seats, so they get dirt etc in them).
And I also did some work on my console, I re-fixed my shifter boot (got sick of the bit sticking out over the console) and re plastic welded in the custom bit's I've made (they've come loose over the last 8 years).

So at the end of the day, it now looks like this
That's the parkers on, neither of them were working, but the tail lights and dash lights were?

Looking forward to taking it out on it's next cruise now, I think Sydney will be my next destination? I've got some parts to pick up, and I've got to pay Superscan811 a visit.

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Getting ready for the cruise tomorrow.

Painted all the underguards black.
So much more to do.
If only I had enough time to do everything it needs :think:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I'm one step closer to getting another 1.6 motor in.
I just ordered a NOS oil pump for a Saturn (now just waiting for it to arrive from the States).
Still needing a new water pump, and then to decide whether to use the previously rebuilt bottom end (with shaved block) or to start from scratch and go stupid on the original block that came in my wagon originally?

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I was looking through my first post on this car (in the introductions section) and I forgot a few pics.
Here they are.

Just for interest sake, here's my introduction post http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... 214#p10214