my colt/galant A51

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
colta51

Re: my colt/galant A51

Post by colta51 »

here is a pik of my new carpet im still putting in.. takes ages cutting all the holes right and laying the underlay i will post up piks wen its finisht too!
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
krohny

Post by krohny »

hey man, sorry i been lazy.. just got some fuel line so ill pull that reg out and post it and the jets off to you asap. you should also have a look at some sportmax wheels on ebay, almost the same as superlites but multifit, they have a range of sizes and offsets.. i have 17 inch momos at the moment, but im selling them to get a set of 15x8's with zero offset..
your car is coming along nicely too.. good job
krohny

Post by krohny »

i just had a bit better look at your pics.. a couple of little things, you should probably get some shaft stops for the linkage.. they will centre the shaft so its not rubbing on the thermo housing. and also push a little bit of the accelorator cable through the clamp on the other side of the engine from the carbs so it makes a smoother angle where it goes to the linkage, or you will have crap pedal feel and probably eventually break the cable.. like this..

colta51

Post by colta51 »

cheers! i was gonna hav a nuther go at that its not to bad at the moment but will be improved!

now i just got to get sum gb/gd disk breaks insted of the drums ( :hit: to mitsubishi)
A112H

Post by A112H »

I have a complete strut, spring, caliper and disc set up out of my coupe you can have, it's going in the bin if not. You will need a couple of bolts here and there as my GH set up had no bolts but it is in perfect condition.
colta51

Post by colta51 »

sweet now i hav disk breaks to fit! thanks again Galant_GT0 :thumpsup:
so my plan is to first clean and paint the strutts and breaks and im getting slotted disks to fit....
im allso looking into diffrent shoks? really wood like to find a set of bilstines or close!
then b4 i take my old strutts out i will go get my new balljoints fitted and lower arm bushes... i wood do this all my self but as most of you will allredy know you need a press to fit the balljoints :(
once thats all done i will get new braided lines for the breaks and fit my master cylender to suit new breaks then fit the strutts fully asembled! oh i will be looking for sum new springs too not sure wat sort or hight?
woops

Post by woops »

I actually ended up buying a shop press from supercheap recently for $100 that would do the job for you. Got frustrated with always having to get new bushes fitted by a suspension shop. You might need some large sockets to use as a drift to get them out and in again. I replaced mine in the galant and they were possible but frustrating to do with only a large vice and two people.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... 67#details
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

colta51 wrote:really wood like to find a set of bilsteins or close!
Bilstein inserts are available off-the-shelf ... if not listed for GA/B/C/D Galant, may be listed under GE Sigma (same strut insert). I think the part no. is P30-0088

Alternatively (much cheaper, & fine for normal road use) are KYB Excel-G Part No. 365004.

I run the KYBs on my GB .... only cost $100 per corner 12 months ago.
SE Wagon

Post by SE Wagon »

For what it's worth:

I first put Konis into my Galant when it had GC struts in the front. The same inserts went into GH struts when I had them fitted to the Galant.

After the Galant died the Konis were re-built, and are now in the front of my GK.
(Formerly) 1984 GK SE Wagon
Kings, Konis, EFI, exhaust. Not much power. :( But it is red! :D And Sold...
Member's Rides Thread
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

davetrees wrote:
colta51 wrote:really wood like to find a set of bilsteins or close!
Bilstein inserts are available off-the-shelf ... if not listed for GA/B/C/D Galant, may be listed under GE Sigma (same strut insert). I think the part no. is P30-0088

Alternatively (much cheaper, & fine for normal road use) are KYB Excel-G Part No. 365004.

just make sure you get the GE 1.6l struts :thumpsup:
colta51

Post by colta51 »

yea i might look into them!
i do a lot of driving on dirt roads in the adelaide hills will thay be ok for this? (not rally driving obviously!)
colta51

Post by colta51 »

any idears on springs to suit? dont want to go too low!
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

shuggy wrote:just make sure you get the GE 1.6l struts :thumpsup:
Makes no difference ... and we are not talking a strut change, only an insert (ie. remove guts of standard strut & drop in the insert). Galant & GE Sigma are the same insert. Only difference, from memory, is the Sigma uses a slightly different gland nut on the top of the strut ? Something like that.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

colta51 wrote:[i do a lot of driving on dirt roads in the adelaide hills will thay be ok for this? (not rally driving obviously!)
They are working fine on my car ... and the only time it sees tarmac is on the way to & from events !
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

colta51 wrote:any idears on springs to suit? dont want to go too low!
The springs in my GB were custom wound - I think they are Aurora springs ? Not sure how much stiffer than stock they are.

They would have been sourced in Adelaide anyway ... that's where my car came from originally.
SE Wagon

Post by SE Wagon »

davetrees wrote:
shuggy wrote:just make sure you get the GE 1.6l struts :thumpsup:
Makes no difference ... and we are not talking a strut change, only an insert (ie. remove guts of standard strut & drop in the insert). Galant & GE Sigma are the same insert. Only difference, from memory, is the Sigma uses a slightly different gland nut on the top of the strut ? Something like that.
That sounds familiar - different pitch in the thread?

From memory, my springs were Lovells - but I bought them almost 20 years ago, so they probably don't have a listing any more.
(Formerly) 1984 GK SE Wagon
Kings, Konis, EFI, exhaust. Not much power. :( But it is red! :D And Sold...
Member's Rides Thread
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

I bought Lovells Lows for my GA about a year or so ago - so they may still be around - Stiff for road use....
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
A112H

Post by A112H »

That sounds familiar - different pitch in the thread?
Don't know about pitch differences. When I put the Commodore inserts in my GH struts I had to use the gland nut that came with the inserts as the inserts were a larger diameter than the GH inserts and the GH nut wouldn't fit ovet it. Threads of both were the same.
Hope that makes sense, lol
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

SE Wagon wrote:That sounds familiar - different pitch in the thread?.
Don't think so .... it's something to do with the depth of the nut or similar, or maybe the shaft diameter ? In any case, the inserts are the same part number for Galants & the GE.
colta51

Post by colta51 »

i started cleaning up my breaks today heres how there looking :D
its amazing how much a wire brush and sum paint can do....
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

let me know when you fit your new pads if you need to open up the holes for the pins to go through a bit - the pin holes in my new pads were too small had to drill them bigger
A112H

Post by A112H »

Looking good mate
colta51

Post by colta51 »

shugy- yea i will...havnt had that problem b4?

galant_gto- thanks!
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

Nice car......as it wears Colt badges, looks like a '69 or '70 fully imported model. Does it have an Australian compliance plate?

I remember seeing a couple in a dealer's yard on Parramatta Road in Sydney back then, when they were first released. I think Mitsubishi Heavy Industries marketed them through an Australian agent at that time.
It was the first time I had seen one. They had a new Isuzu Florian there also......

Roger
colta51

Post by colta51 »

yes this is a import made by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries not chrysler australia..
has a big square aus com plate to the right side of bay you shood be able to see in the piks?
colta51

Post by colta51 »

UPDATE!
i hav now finisht putting in carpet looks sweet as! :D and fitted the extractor witch also looks sweet!
now i just got to get the exourst fitted :@ and she wil be redy to start i think? :think:
now i just got to order the new wheel bearings and break lines shoks and springs but this all means more cash witch wont be till next fortnight or so... but till then plenty time for polishing caps an bumpers and trim pices etc..
im also thinking about making a new rear shelf as mine has too big holes in it :(
i will post up piks soon of carpet and motor and strutts wen i hav painted them! oh yea did any one no that standed mitsu struts are KYB ? i seen it stampt on myn wen i was cleaning them!
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

toruhiwi wrote:Nice car......as it wears Colt badges, looks like a '69 or '70 fully imported model. Does it have an Australian compliance plate?

Roger

Aust Compliance plate was never black, that looks like the Jap ID plate......so it is pre-compliance, which from memory came late 1970.

Any idea of the production date?

Roger
colta51

Post by colta51 »

all i no is it was first regod in aus in 1970! i got it of my mates sister who got it off the original owner who used it for a church car!
colta51

Post by colta51 »

acording to the sticker on my aftermarket heater it dates 1942 :wut: this cant be right? alltho i hav seen them in sum old hotrods b4???
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

I had a very similar heater in my '65 Datsun SP310 (different brand though). Actually worked quite well.
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin