my 77 galant v6

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
Jordan1249

Re: my 77 galant v6

Post by Jordan1249 »

Haha yer but i want that v6 power in my little galant as.much as i bag out.commodores i do like them
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

i dont think the is actually THAT bad....they've definately proven their worth.....its just that they aquite often owned by a complete piss-ant with no brains and a high ego
Built with pride, Driven in anger
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

It is true that a decent Astron with turbo etc would beat a commodore.
I think what he is referring to is doing something "different" which is what I tried to do.
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

A112H

Post by A112H »

Speaking of something different. Did you ever do a write up on fitting the steering rack in your car Dean?
It is something I would like to do to the hardtop when I get the front end refurbished down the line.
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

Jason,
No i've not done one on the conversion.

It is a shortened VH (off the top of my head) Commodore rack & pinion that mounts directly to the GJ Sigma Strut set-up.
I took some photos a while back to try and show some visual help. If anyone wants any different shots i can get them, just let me know what you need / want.

These are all from the front drivers side;

The ammount of lock i can get with a 15x8 (-0 offset) wheel
'77 Galant V6....

Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Was there any particular reason you chose the Commodore rack? I reckon an mx5 would be pretty pretty close size wise plus they're a relatively quick feeling rack, that or an early corolla of some sort.

Next time I've got the bosses MX5 up on the ramps I'll run around it with the measuring tape.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Work equip 01's!! Stepping up in the work dean? :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Was there any particular reason you chose the Commodore rack?
Just a guess TJ but maybe to keep the parts in commodore family with the engine being out of one
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

Just what was laying around.

No real reason other than that.
'77 Galant V6....

Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

hmmmmm, i wonder if it will be easier to install in a sigma...since they are a wider car
Built with pride, Driven in anger
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

Anyway, the real reason i came back on..... I've finally got my computer at home going so i can update this thread.

Ultimately, I’m at the stage of my build in which I don’t have much to "fix" at all; it’s just driving and maintaining.
Of course, me being the OCD person that i am (most people who have met me know what I'm on about) know that nothing is ever "finished".
Over the past months I’ve done a few things.

I've been looking for so long for some older wheels in 14x8 - 14x9 in a good negative offset. So when a mate put his genuine Work Equip 01 wheels up for sale with sizes of 14x8.5 (-6 offset) fronts & 14x9 (-0 offset) rears i had to have them.
They weren't in terrible condition but needed a tidy up and had a chunk taken out of one of them. I got them for a decent price plus a set of genuine Datsun 1600 JDM fender mirrors that i had lying around.
I got the face of the damaged wheel machined by a local company that fixes wheels and the rest Dave (75wagon) set up on his wheel cleaning jig. He just gave them a skim on the outer edge to make sure that they were in almost new condition.
After that, I polished them all up and then mounted tyres.
I gave the challenge to my tyre guy to put a set of 195/45/14 Falken tyres on them. He had no issues and they were good to go.

The results are below;

The night I picked them up….

Old vs new

Fitting them up, the car ended up being 65mm lower so now I’ve got the issue that the cars exhaust and gearbox mount only has 60mm clearance from the ground. In the coming weeks the exhaust will be re-run to sit tighter up under the car and the gearbox mount is being adjusted so that there is 100mm clearance all round making it legal.

Next on the agenda was to replace my old dash & dash pad.
I scored a non-woodgrain dash through 75wagon who had it just lying around and I had purchased a brand new N.O.S dash pad from Japan a few years ago but just hadn’t got to putting it in.
I tidied up all the wiring behind my dash – I have an oil pressure and volts gauge by Autometer along with the fact my tacho and electronic speedo are Autometer as well.
I also changed the way that the original plastic gauge cover (the clear plastic that stops dust from getting into the gauge) sits so that my Autometer gauges don’t have 2 screens in front of them – it used to have the Autometer glass and then the plastic cover.

Overall I’m very, very happy with how it turned out and it just finishes off the interior so well.

Note – People with a keen eye will notice the fact I have 2 stalks coming from the column. That is because I use a GE sigma column with the lights mounted on the column rather than the dash;

Since then it’s just been driven on the rare Sunday, taking trips to Pie In the Sky early in the mornings and washing / cleaning.

My new low ramps so I can get my jack under the car

And my apprentice

I am still on the lookout for a set of GD front door trims in the burgundy red colour and am willing to pay decent money and swap for mine including the custom speaker pods with top level Alpine type R coaxials.

I am also on the hunt for front & rear bars, as they are the last things on my list to tidy up. It’s either that or I get mine straightened and re-chromed.

If anyone has any of the above, please let me know.
'77 Galant V6....

Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

What did you use to paint your dash ?
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

:thumpsup:
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

I didn't paint the dash. That is the rarer pov pack dash that nobody used to want.

I wanted a "race style" stripped out looking dash rather than the woodgrain.
'77 Galant V6....

Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

car looks mint dude. nearly the exact same look i'm going for! where'd you end up buying the bosozoku hang ring from, ebay? so keen to get my meshies cleaned up, painted and put onto my gc and finally some low. keep up the awesome work mate.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

Nah, not from Ebay, through Jesse Streeter with a few other things from Japan.
'77 Galant V6....

Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

ahh good old streeter.. might have to hit him up again it seems.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

That looks so much better then woodgrain id trade mine in for that any day
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

Well, it’s been a while since I have updated my car thread.

With a recent move into my fiancé & my own first home, and all the things that go along with planning a wedding, my time has been taken up by other things than my car.
Now that most of that is done and we are back into the main routine of life, I have had a recent surge in passion for the Galant and it has been pulled out from under the covers for a few cruises & spirited Sunday drives.

I also entered the car into a show & shine at the recent Sydney Fast Fours & Rotaries Jamboree with a few photographers noticing the car and speaking to me about it. Since then I have been contacted by a magazine wanting to do a photo shoot so I’ve been cleaning all the nooks & cranny’s awaiting the time for the shoot.

I’ve done a few little things as well to the car like adding in a few gauges that I had lying about (Air/Fuel & Water temp), new steering wheel set up & gear knob, re-trimmed the sun visors in some Bride material I had, put in a Wink 180 rear view mirror & a new exhaust from the muffler back that I had some guys at my work make up with blast tips. Just little things to set the car apart.

Now that I have the time to drive it again, I hope to start getting the Newcastle guys out and about and possibly head down to Sydney for a cruise like old times
'77 Galant V6....

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

That's awesome about interest from a magazine.

Got any pics of the blast pipes, or are they in hiding till the shoot?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

'77 Galant V6....

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Yep, I like them :thumpsup:
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
RyBj

Post by RyBj »

What were the biggest hurdles you ran into while swapping over to a tacho dash and installing it? I've got one out of a coupe that I'm currently tinkering with and cleaning up. Would love a bit of a heads up on problems you ran into. Shame I can't see any of the pictures anymore. Cheers for the help cobba.