my 77 galant v6

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
77galantv6

Re: my 77 galant v6

Post by 77galantv6 »

Went to the JDMST End Of Month Meet last night at Eastern creek, saw plenty of amazing cars
and got some more inspiration to do more work on my car.
I have been lacking the motivation lately - last night was the first decent drive my car has had in like 4 months.

There were a few people taking photos so hopefully there are a few that come through...

Heres one.
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Love that shot man... :thumpsup:
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

A couple of Videos from the other night...

http://youtu.be/8pB2KncIKfM

http://vimeo.com/41195099
'77 Galant V6....

Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Man I'd love to see more old school stuff out at these meets. I'm not really big into the Tuner scene. I think it gets a little over the top sometimes but each to their own.
I might have to bring the coupe out to these one night, Eastern Creek is only down the road so I don't really have an excuse.

Didn't see your car in those videos though :P
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
A112H

Post by A112H »

77galantv6 wrote:A couple of Videos from the other night...

In the first 60 seconds I saw a Ford Laser, VZ Commodore, VT Clubsport Daewoo Lanos, BF Falcon, BA Falcon and a Maserati. Not a great way to start a JDM video :P
We actually had a member of this forum get bombed on FB because he took a Sigma to All Japan Day and was told not to come next year because it isn't a real Japanese car :@
Good vid though and a great idea, wish we had something like this in SA other than the annual AJD :)
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

A112H wrote:
77galantv6 wrote:A couple of Videos from the other night...

In the first 60 seconds I saw a Ford Laser, VZ Commodore, VT Clubsport Daewoo Lanos, BF Falcon, BA Falcon and a Maserati. Not a great way to start a JDM video :P
We actually had a member of this forum get bombed on FB because he took a Sigma to All Japan Day and was told not to come next year because it isn't a real Japanese car :@
It wasn't a JDM only meet.... JDMST stands for JDM Style Tuning - a little different.

But yes, i know what you mean, although lets be honest, mine is an Australian made car too.
(made even more Australian by the fact it has a V6 in it
'77 Galant V6....

77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

Not much to update in here, but i've been slowly buying a few things to clean up the interior
all will be revealed at a later date but have started by modifying a dash up and changing the layout of cabling/wiring etc
in the mean time i have just been enjoying driving the car.

on another note someone should by my old rims / seats so i can do more to this thing!

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9174
'77 Galant V6....

77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

OK, bit of an update on this thing...

As most of you know, i had put the car up for sale and was going to stop on the whole modifying thing,
but i've had a change of heart and am going to continue with the car and the build (yes, its not over yet).

I have a few plans for the car which are;
* New rims - those of you on my facebook will know which ones
* strip floor and paint floor pan white (will not have carpet)
* new guage cluster
* install my brand new dash pad (uncracked)
* minor engine bay stuff
* front & rear bars straightened & re-chromed
* a few other little things

But stay tuned as i would like to have most of these mods knocked over in the start of the new year so i can get it on the road and enjoying it by winter time.
'77 Galant V6....

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Glad to hear this...

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
ghuphill

Post by ghuphill »

good stuff mate :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

75wagon wrote:Glad to hear this...

Dave...
What he said, lol :thumpsup:
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

So, new wheels have been payed for and are currently being made to the specs I wanted.
New specs are 13 x 8.5 with -8 offset.
This will sit the wheels perfectly on the guard line and will in effect lower the car approx 20mm.
Hopefully should have them next month. They take about 20 days to make, plus shipping so more than Likely will be late next month.

Also, have put a brand new high flow cat and new muffler on the car and made a slight change to the exhaust, put it on the dyno at a meet in Port Macquarie for shits and giggles and it made 178HP lol.

There is now a new front lip on the car as well. I made it in a rush more as a guide for a proper one that I want to make in the future (will upload pics tonight).

I sold my '08 D40 daily yesterday so I am now on the look out for a daily that is fun to drive while being fairly cheap on fuel. Am looking down the path of Honda Integra type R's at the moment so hopefully will have one in the coming Weeks as well.

It is all moving quite well and hopefully can start on stripping the interior mid Feb.
'77 Galant V6....

77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

Just thought i would throw some pics up of my new daily.
Sold my Navara and a few other things in order to buy a house so this is now the daily.

Bought it a month or so ago and have been spending some time and money getting it up to my standards. Only a few more things to go.

Its a 2000 built Honda Integra Type R.
Was owned by an older bloke who had taken pretty good care of it.

Mods list is as follows;
• Stainless Headers
• 2.5” Stainless B Pipe with Stainless Resonator
• Genuine Mugen Twin Loop Muffler with 2.5” Stainless axle back
• Hondata S300 V2 Tuned by BYP making 130 KW ATW
• J’s Racing Carbon Fibre intake
• Heavy Duty Clutch
• Hardrace Engine Mounts
• Spoon Oil Cap, Radiator Cap & Reservoir Socks
• Carbon Wrapped Plug Cover
• Red radiator hoses
• Password JDM battery Stay
• GAB SS HA Coilovers – 10kg front & 6kg rear – Height & dampening adjustable
• RDA Slotted Front Rotors
• Endless Super Street front and rear pads
• Hardrace Swaybar bushes
• Enkei RDF01 wheels – 16x7 (+33 offset) wrapped in Bridgestone RE-01R (205x45x16) tyres
• Titanium wheel nuts
• Carbon fibre Mugen Gen 2 rear spoiler (replica)
• HID’s , tint, Alarm & immobiliser
• Clear side indicators
• Factory 6 Stacker in boot

when i first picked it up

after taking off stickers etc and giving it a detail & polish

infront of the weekender...

Plans are to do some minor things to get it to where i want and just enjoy the car as is, maybe take it to some track days in the future (although that is really getting away from being a daily...)
'77 Galant V6....

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Looking Good :thumpsup:
I've been for a ride in this, and is pretty damn impressive.
I'm very jealous that this is what you are driving to and from work in :think:
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

pics of the car hosted on facebook arent showing up. I want to see it now that it's finished!
1973 Galant Wagon, 4G63 Turbo | Coil overs | Flares | Work wheels | Follow me on instagram @incoporatedx
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

Page 6 shows it.
'77 Galant V6....

Tj.

Post by Tj. »

I don't know why but I just can't get into Honda's. I mean, I look at the facts about them and I can't fault them at all buy there's just something about them that puts me off.
I honestly think it's the "jdm yo!" Fan boys that put me off. Just not my bag.

Don't get me wrong, I reckon if I had a pedal in one of those I'd probably enjoy the hell out of it, giggling manically the entire time.

Cant wait to see the new wheels you have lined up for the galant :thumpsup:
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Go and drive one, and judge for yourself if the hype is worth it.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

VTEC!!! Still laughing about the time Dave took a bunch of us down to the shops to demonstrate VTEC in the Jazz. :lol:
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

Let's just say that after driving the Integra Dave was looking at engine swaps....
'77 Galant V6....

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

77galantv6 wrote:Let's just say that after driving the Integra Dave was looking at engine swaps....
I wasn't just looking at engine swaps, I was looking at car swaps.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Dave... you are a bloody LEGEND!!! your workmanship and care for anothers cars is, unbelievable! and i honestly assumed you were/once were, a professional spray painter/panel repairer for sure. i've learnt alot from reading this thread. i will use most of your methods like the plastic on the panel once the stripper was applied. thanks to amgis_obrut. also, the soaking hinges and door mechs. great work! :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup:

77galantv6, this car has made me think twice about the gd sedans. its a wicked and pristene car in every aspect! the 3.8 is certainly a different way of going with it. but im all for different! i havent yet seen any pics of it after the spray and all the new bits. i think on page 6?? i cannot view these pics :( but from what a have seen. it's certainly raised the level for galants, and especially gd's.

great work guys! and i look forward to seeing more of this car and Dave's work

cheers,
Mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

All the pics are on my FB, I'm not getting why they aren't working?
Maybe I should upload them to SG on FB? I got frustrated with the photo storage sites because they were too slow, and only stored so many pics before they started asking for money to store more.
Anyone who knows what I do on here knows I have heaps of pics on here.

And thanks Mick, I appreciate the kind words, as I also Assume 77galantv6 does. His attention to detail, and constant pushing to get more out of what he has inspires a lot of us.

Dave...
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

well i'll be sure to look for those pics right away :)

and no worries. good work deserves good acknowledgment and praise.

a few questions for ya Dave.
how many aplications does it take to get the paint to bare metal? is it just rub of from there?
what ratio do you run your paint?
how exactly does the black/grey finish work. i understand the fact you sand off the grey which turns to black, then the dents are left behind. but how do the dents stand out? i mean, you could use a sponge with the sandpaper. then wouldnt it go into the dents and sand off the grey areas?

cheers,
Mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

75glnt wrote:how many aplications does it take to get the paint to bare metal? is it just rub of from there?
Depends on what paint is used (and various others), but basically this job was a mostly one application of stripper. The plastic stops the active chemical in the stripper from evaporating, and allows it to work on the paint (where you want it to work).
I've also tried the same method on 2 pak paint, and it took 3 applications of stripper.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

75glnt wrote:what ratio do you run your paint?
I use approx 50/50 paint and thinner (acrylic lacquer).
When I'm doing finishing coats, I increase clear into the paint so I can get more coats so it gives me more to rub back. All the thinner does it get the paint onto the item to be painted.
75glnt wrote:how exactly does the black/grey finish work.
It's just primer with a black dust coat over it (dust coat being very fine spray of solid black paint).
It just shows you where you have rubbed, and where you have missed.
If you use a sanding block (recommended by the way) it shows the dents up that you missed in prep. Thus the red spot filler shown in the pics (which is just basically thickened paint anyway).

I am a painter BTW, I just paint houses etc, and not cars for a living. But the attention to detail is something that is shared by a good tradesman in both trades.

Dave...
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

ah so thats it? (the black stuff over the undercoat)

how many coats do you apply?
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

1 coat.
You are aiming to get a mist spray, not solid black.
The more you put on, the more you need to take off. It's only a rubbing guide to let you know where you haven't rubbed yet, and it also shows the imperfections up before you put the finish coats on.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

cool. ta :) and i was talking about the topcoat of the finish product (white). should've stated that. lol :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

75glnt wrote:should've stated that. lol
Now I read it again, it made sense the way you wrote it the first time.

I try to get between 8 and 10 finish coats on.
a 4 litre can generally gets me about 6 coats (on everything).

With this job, I laid down 2 solid coats (50/50 white and thinners). Then I started adding clear to the white so I could get more layers on (still 50% thinners in the gun). As the layers go on, I drop more and more percentage of clear in. Until it's almost all clear (but not quite all for a solid colour).

For Metallic, it's the same method but you want to end up with at least 4 solid coats of clear over the top. And you're probably going to want to aim at 10 to 12 coats of finish in total.

This is just a method I have found works well for me.

Dave...