1981 sapporo "scorpion" g54bt manual trans conversion.

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
city hunter

1981 sapporo "scorpion" g54bt manual trans conversion.

Post by city hunter »

A few pics of the car when I first picked it up this last spring. Been sitting for 10 years. Mice had infested it at one time, water had been sitting in the interior as well. Quite a bit of work ahead of me. Had a g54b auto in it.

Interesting enough. It had a factory cruise control that was installed by chrysler. The quality of the componets definately showed chryslers 80s crappy ass quality. I could make better brackets than they had made. I still have the entire setup if anyone wants it.

Stripped out the nastiness

Sure sucks working in a small apartment garage.

In with the broke in rebuilt turbo shortblock I put together for a starion I owned a year back. 11:30pm The neighbors love me.

Turbo door handle mod from a usdm starion. Needs a little cutting and welding, but should work great.

Trans in and mounted with some angle iron I had laying around. Bolt in driveshaft with teh front half of a 2 piece l200 driveshaft. Temporaryt ransmission until I get a hold of a 88 starion trans. This old 87 trans is worn out pretty bad, so I didnt bother cleaning it.

The floor has been disinfected and cleaned with vinegar and water, plus a second chemical. I also disassembled the entire heater vent system and cleaned everything.

Finished cleaning the engine bay and running the usdm starion harness. Mitsubishi was nice enough to leave the wiring harness holes in for the carbureted cars. Beer and a lot of long nites being single helped me get most of this done within a month.

Clutch Pedal installed.

Cutting done for the oil cooler and intercooler. Not mounted but hooked up.

Here is a pic as of now. I stole the radiator and plug wires off it for the lb lancer for the time being..

Working on the side dump 3inch exhaust. This thing sounds great with just a small resonator and this 3inch side dump. I still have to finish making hangers and cutting down the tip.

Lowered the back a bit.

Installed my aus tails

Dash and side panels painted black. Starion carpet installed. Isnt long enough for the back, but better than nothing. 1988 starion cloth seats. THey faded to blue, use to be black checkered.

How it's riding now.

How it sits as of now. In need of a ring and pinion. Someone forgot to put oil in hsi sopare diff when he swapped it in >_<

Plans for the near future are getting some suspension work done. Starion brake upgrade. I am not sinking too much money into this as the chassis condition is so so. Has some bubbling rust. Shiny but not a great paint job. I think it will become a bit of a bozo car. I plan on running a multi pipe sidedump and running them up along the side of the car and back. Some crazy front spoiler maybe. I'm waiting for a factory rear spoiler from rxcorp. Remove the window louvers completely. Who knows what elese. Soem new wheels down the road.
73 galant coupe, 78 Lancer coupe, 84,85, and 86 ex1800 turbos, 87 minicab van supercharged, gto vr4, 4 starions. swb montero, mighty max, 88 cordia turbo. 65 debonair
80's Hero
DanTurboLancer

Re: 1981 sapporo "scorpion" g54bt manual trans conversion.

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Getting there Hunter for working out of your Garage!
Bet you wont forget to check the oil again ;)

2nd photo, was that your yellow LB in back ground?

Oh and i like those Turbo dorr handles, nice touch :)
Last edited by DanTurboLancer on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
city hunter

Post by city hunter »

yeah, thats my lb. I'm going to be swapping in a 4g62 turbo cordia engine pretty soon. I need to buy a aus starrion exhaust manifold and a charge pipe, and pull it out of the cordia I picked up.
73 galant coupe, 78 Lancer coupe, 84,85, and 86 ex1800 turbos, 87 minicab van supercharged, gto vr4, 4 starions. swb montero, mighty max, 88 cordia turbo. 65 debonair
80's Hero
516MA

Post by 516MA »

woah can i ask what that blue colour is called? did it come out in australia?

Im getting my car painted over christmas hopefully and i love that colour :D

Nick
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines" - Enzo Ferrari.

1965 - xp falcon project
city hunter

Post by city hunter »

not sure on the exact color, but teh guy said it was from a early 90s chrysler. So I figure If you look through a paint book, you could probably find it. It wasnt factory, some guy had this paint and some ugly honda gold and made it a 2 tone.
80's Hero
city hunter

Post by city hunter »

well, gear set is back in and everything seemed to check out. I'm now rocking a set of 3.90 gears. Interesting enough the gearset in my old diff was 3.307 which I have never even seen mitsubishi use. I'm going to try and save that gearset.

Tomorrow I'll swing by the dmv and get the car licensed then take it on another drive after I get some plug wires and reinstall the radiator. Hopefully this will be the last of the big issues.

I'm hoping to get my exhaust finished up tomorrow evening as well.
80's Hero
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Sure sucks working in a small apartment garage.
Mate that garage is huge compared to where I did up my Galant...... I ended up spraying it on the driveway....god I hate my garage
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

Nice work so far..

I find the gearbox part especially interesting.
You say you used an l200 driveshaft, which I believe uses a 2L Jap box, but different spline to other jap boxes.
Yet you have a 2.6L jap box.
Or is it a narrowblock with the 2L box?
I've confused myself again just trying to figure it out :P

I tried using an L200 motor and box once before i found out the spline didnt match my driveshaft, and there was nothing in town to steal a yoke from
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

city hunter

Post by city hunter »

it's a usdm starion transmission no idea what box that equates too other than its a km132 without the later group a big gears that the 88+ starions got. It's a wideblock.

The drveshaft was off one of our american trucks with the 4g63 sohc mid 80s which is a narrow block/ Thiat truck also uses a km132. just a weaker version.

Shes coming alonge nicely. Took the sidedumpo off for now so I could get the front lower. I'm reworking my exhaust plan. The wats from my lancer actually look decent on this thing when it's lowered. They are only 14x6 +13 too.

I'd like to do a shark nose up front and a lower airdam, but I think I may hold odd for right now. Besides I need a welder first.

80's Hero
city hunter

Post by city hunter »

Adding a few pics. A few updates. My turbo water reurn line spawned a leak near the spark plugs and blasted the entire engine with water for a few days. Gotta reclean the damn engine and engine bay now. Might be getting some simmons 15x10 and 15x11.5 mesh pretty soon. Running just a resonator under the car is getting pretty old quick. I'm still looking for flat body 4 bolt starion front struts and saving some cash up for some sw20 agx inserts. I'm not sure what to do witht he back yet.

One tire fire truely sucks as well.
Here is a pic of before the rear was lowered more.

After fixing the rear.
80's Hero
oldcolt75

Post by oldcolt75 »

what are you doin with the old strut /brake assbly from this car .. it seems i cant get calipers for my colt and you said that you got some flatty setup and ill pay for your old stuff
4g63 GC colt
MitsiMitch

Post by MitsiMitch »

city hunter wrote:
Plans for the near future are getting some suspension work done. Starion brake upgrade. I am not sinking too much money into this as the chassis condition is so so. Has some bubbling rust. Shiny but not a great paint job. I think it will become a bit of a bozo car. I plan on running a multi pipe sidedump and running them up along the side of the car and back. Some crazy front spoiler maybe. I'm waiting for a factory rear spoiler from rxcorp. Remove the rear window louvers completely. Who knows what else. Some new wheels down the road.
I think you almost done it. With all these plans for modification. Im planning also for manual trans conversion, but i decided not to because too much to do but i dont have enough time.