1984 Mitsubishi Scorpion GL Sunchaser Convertible

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
convertiblescorp82

1984 Mitsubishi Scorpion GL Sunchaser Convertible

Post by convertiblescorp82 »

Here is my baby...

tandanus

Re: 1984 Mitsubishi Scorpion GL Sunchaser Convertible

Post by tandanus »

Cool!
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

lol as much as i hate the look of these cars... i must say it looks good...

i hate the back window pillar and the way the shape works from windows to boot section... but this is different. nice.
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Hehe, nice work man, it kinda looks factory even, Dont mean to bag your ride but Some new wheels might spruce her up abit but its cool and different man!! Love it
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

some black rims will work nicely.
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

They look even better with the roof down. :D
convertiblescorp82

Thanks a lot of everyone...it is pretty much factory.. It was an optional dealer extra being offered by mitsubishi in NSW. It was done by a company called "Sunchaser" and they converted roughly 300 scorpions and the celica model of the time but it is not known how many of each. The Scorpion was sold for $10,000 and the option of the convertible was an extra $6,000 and for its time you could have got a good BMW or something of the like hence why not many of these convertibles were made and the company went broke. This is the facts i've managed to find...correct me if I'm wrong or anyone else knows anything else about these let me know.

And yes I agree....some aftermarket mag wheels would look nice on it but dont want to ruin the factory look and pay a fortune for tyres (especially the way I drive ;)

I have converted it to manual with an Extreme heavy-duty clutch. The motor has been completely rebuilt, flat top pistons, racing stage 3 crows cam, counter balance shafts removed, head shaved and ported, etc....2 1/2 inch exhaust with cannon muffler, downdraft weber from falcon xf I believe, lowered pedders springs, monroe shocks.

It doesn't seem to matter what you do though...just never seems to go fast enough! Wanted to stay NA but might have to hunt around for a supercharger...my mechanic told me one of the first supras was supercharged and I should source one of those. Any advice appreciated guys..cheers

Brad
carcycle

Post by carcycle »

When i used to have my convertible, i managed to find out that they were used to carry the F1 drivers on the parade lap at the 1985 Adelaide Grand Prix...

I cant remember where i learnt it from, but its now put on a website (after i mentioned it) somewhere with a pic of the scorpion covertible we used to have.... sooo i havent found any, but might be interesting to look for some photos of that event... mitsubishi sponsored the first grand prix.

Anyway, have a celica sunchaser at the moment! Would like another scorp though (have 3 - none convertible hehe)

Alex.

Only pics i have at the moment, from 02 - 03 era!

panda

Post by panda »

Are those gold hot-wire alloys factory or after market? Cos I have a set of 5 that I no longer need.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

They are aftermarket wheels. Standard ones are the same as any other Scorpion.

I personally know of 3 Sunchasers. My good one (SCORP), another one that i bought unseen and turned out to be a major POS, and a Celica Sunchaser a couple of doors down from where i currently live.
carcycle

Post by carcycle »

just for interest sakes... celica convertible

And this is the one we currently have...

C_Fernance wrote:They are aftermarket wheels. Standard ones are the same as any other Scorpion.

I personally know of 3 Sunchasers. My good one (SCORP), another one that i bought unseen and turned out to be a major POS, and a Celica Sunchaser a couple of doors down from where i currently live.
And the website i mentioned before was Chris' ^^^ sorry, didnt know if you were still around these traps so to speak hehe.

Alex.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Here's some more reading material on the Sunchasers.

convertiblescorp82

Thanks for all your info guys...doesn't seem like there are many of these left. I heard a rumour that there is only 7 convertible scorpions registered in Australia.
OlFarts

Post by OlFarts »

convertiblescorp82 wrote:Thanks for all your info guys...doesn't seem like there are many of these left. I heard a rumour that there is only 7 convertible scorpions registered in Australia.

And one GE convertible.

I know of at least 14 Scorpion convertibles around Australia,5 in South Oz.

Gday Chris,Celica's now mate ??
coltspeed2000

Post by coltspeed2000 »

And one GE convertible.
Almost a year after the original post... :$ have you got any pics?

I've always thought the GE would be a neater convertible because the tops of the doors line through all the way from the mirrors to the bottom of the rear screen and the C pillar is detailed separately. I love the look of those GE scorpions.

Ned
OlFarts

Post by OlFarts »

And one GE convertible. But its a Chrysler.

Gday Chris.I see your into Celica's now mate.
OlFarts

Post by OlFarts »

Id be more than happy to post pics of my GE Scorpion convertible,,,,,,,,,as soon as i can work out how to !!

Dave
Milang SA
convertiblescorp82

Would be nice to know if there are any other convertible scorpion owners around here in SA
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Carcycyle is hoarding a couple of those convertible Celica ST's. I thought he may of had one convertible scorp too with all the other Mitsu stuff rotting in his graveyard...
A112H

Post by A112H »

I have a Galant, lol

convertiblescorp82

That gallant looks pretty cool...I'm guessing its all custom? How much did that cost you to do? Vandals decided to year the back of my roof so now I'm have the fun and expensive job of trying to find someone to make me a new one. Sun chaser didn't seem to leave any templates around from the conversions.
A112H

Post by A112H »

I actually bought it all done, it was done in like '86 or '88. If you find someone to do you a new roof I would be interested in the details, the Galant still has the original roof and it is a fairly brittle and the windows are yellow.
OlFarts

Post by OlFarts »

There are several Celica convertibles in Adelaide.

1/ At Aldinga Beach.

2/ At Chrisies Beach.

3/ At Clare

4/ One in Millicent

Dave

Good to hear my GE convertible is still alive,wouldnt mind buying it back to be honest.
convertiblescorp82

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=961 ... jv-uQdfuCs" width="320" height="205" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=961 ... P_AV5padpg" width="320" height="201" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=961 ... 4l7xGCtzI0" width="320" height="204" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=961 ... FD2GijB2S4" width="320" height="200" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=961 ... gs9AlaRY-U" width="320" height="200" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=961 ... W2EMvYLy0k" width="320" height="202" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=961 ... WcJ1KgUSiM" width="320" height="203" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=961 ... -UqUCM4dGw" width="320" height="201" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=961 ... EzXulOz0Io" width="320" height="203" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=961 ... vg6RZhuIHU" width="320" height="195" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=961 ... WLspFUsN7o" width="320" height="200" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=961 ... 7mBm-7yVuA" width="320" height="206" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
tubby

Post by tubby »

'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
tubby

Post by tubby »

click the link then click the pic for the goodness
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
OlFarts

Post by OlFarts »

My GE convertible,just before it was sold.

Hope the pic turns out OK.

Dave

OlFarts

Post by OlFarts »

A couple with the roof up.

Mitsubishi based there Scorpion rag tops on mine.

It was pretty hard to part with after owning it.But................

Dave

Last edited by OlFarts on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.