The imported jap-spec GJ GSR 1984 (MOVED BACK!)

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
Lowmion

The imported jap-spec GJ GSR 1984 (MOVED BACK!)

Post by Lowmion »

Here's my baby, it's proven to be an expensive and time consuming venture.

It's still being rebuilt, so not in my hands at the moment - Flav's still at it - he's the Austarion Mitsubishi guru and has stated that you're all welcome to harrass him for parts, engine conversions/upgrades etc as thats what he does, and ships australia wide.

His number is 0438838722 - admins please remove the phone number if it's inappropiate to list it here.

He was initially amazed at a sigma with all the running gear of a starion, including the IRS, ventialted disk brakes (all round), a purpose built 4 speed gearbox (a smoother gear change I've not come across - could use a 2k rpm stally though), electric everything, factory tint (amber tint), aircon, power steering, and was mildly horrified at it only having a 40 litre tank.

Alledged engine output is in the 130kw range - basically what ever a starion puts out, when it's run in, I'll weigh it and dyno it.

I've included some brochures I found when I was trying to find out "exactly" what it is for insurance reasons.

You'll note the japspec variant of Tufsig's beasty is shown in one, and another version which is different from mine due to the absence of the over-riders, and yes mine does have the yellow fog lights fitted, with the headlight washer/wiper's but someone has removed the blade arms so hunting for some :)

Engine bay before rebuild

note the headlight wipers

This one has the yellow fogs installed

This shows the digital dash that's in mine, when I've got it back I'll update

This brochure and the one following show a different version to mine as the one shown doesn't have the over-riders on the bumper.

Last edited by Lowmion on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try to insure a 1984 Galant Turbo 2000 with RACV, they'll insist that it only came out with a super charger, and that the turbo is an illegal mod........
RXCORP

Re: The imported jap-spec GJ GSR 1984 (aka my baby)

Post by RXCORP »

Ay man.. good to see flav is working on it.
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

Might have to put signature plates on it
Don't try to insure a 1984 Galant Turbo 2000 with RACV, they'll insist that it only came out with a super charger, and that the turbo is an illegal mod........
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

Flav just let me know it's running :)

I gotta bite back the urge to call, let him work his magic in piece.

If I ever come across another one, the details would be pm'd straight to you.

Mine is still along way off being finished - gotta look at bonnet breathers for the replacement bonnet.

Maybe just a grill in front of the driver side, or a number if circles cut out above the turbo with black mesh underneath. Open to idea's

All the trimming needs refurbishment, which is semi easy, and then the final will be paint, but will save and get that done by professional's
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Do you have any photos of the rear suspension, diff, etc? It would be interesting to see a Sigma with IRS, and to see how similar the chassis is to the Aus Spec Sigmas. I was considering getting the IRS off a Starion and putting it onto my Sigma. There was one at U-Pull-It the other month, and I didn't grab it when I had the chance.
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

Cottees wrote:Do you have any photos of the rear suspension, diff, etc? It would be interesting to see a Sigma with IRS, and to see how similar the chassis is to the Aus Spec Sigmas. I was considering getting the IRS off a Starion and putting it onto my Sigma. There was one at U-Pull-It the other month, and I didn't grab it when I had the chance.
That's do-able, you're welcome to any specs, measurements etc on the thing that I have, I'll take some photo's with the mobile and work out a way to uplink them.

I just got off the phone to Flav, he says it's all back together but he's hit a problem with the fuel tank having rust & crap in it. The tank was acid dipped, flushed etc 3 months back, but he say's it's come in force.

Anyhow off to see it tomorrow, I might need to see if a GSR tank will slot straight in.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

looks filth.. a beasty sigma! :mrgreen: :lol:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

yours a 40 litre or different size?

And in good condition?

As I don't see the point in paying again for the same service that didnt work the first time, not that I see how it didnt work in the first place.

I'll have to photo the thing, dang.
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

Does your GSR tank look like this?

city hunter

Post by city hunter »

beautiful car man, it's another I want to eventually own. You guys find all the awesome cars down there.
73 galant coupe, 78 Lancer coupe, 84,85, and 86 ex1800 turbos, 87 minicab van supercharged, gto vr4, 4 starions. swb montero, mighty max, 88 cordia turbo. 65 debonair
80's Hero
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

city hunter wrote:beautiful car man, it's another I want to eventually own. You guys find all the awesome cars down there.
Thankyou

I'm chasing a fuel tank for it, as mines rusted past restoring, and fouling my injectors, can you have a look in your region for me and I'll have to work out if the freight is as expensive as a custom drop tank.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

While I was at U-Pull-It I found a couple small headlight wipers from a Cordia. If you want them, PM me and we can sort something out.
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

Cottees wrote:While I was at U-Pull-It I found a couple small headlight wipers from a Cordia. If you want them, PM me and we can sort something out.
Cool, will definitely have to have them.
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

The car's up and running - and sounds pretty damn fine, :)

Half my electrics don't work, it's got the wrong dizzy in it and the kick down cable isn't there, but it's running and drivable.

It's going back after I've put some running in k's on it - for proper dizzy, retune & tighten and the repair of all the electrical faults.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Yeah, gotta see pics. Especially the IRS.
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

TUFSIG wrote:i wana see it
:P
No probs

Just drove from Belgrave - Dandy - Brighton.

(Belgrave for the hills - dandy for a squz - home for beers)

Couple of beers and I'm off again, lol, gotta get it run in, it performs beyond my expectations, and that's with low boost, wrong dizzy etc etc

You can kinda see the IRS in this fuel tank shot

Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

Heres what it looks like after it caught fire whilst I was running it in,

After I paid au$4,000 for Flav from Zoom Tuning Performance/ (The Austarian site) to rewire the engine primary and secondary loom, rebuild a new motor, new turbo, new flywheel - new everything and then install it, he's saying he's not responsible for the car going up in flames, and that he's not at fault, I'm not a mechanic, all I know is that I saw embers in my revision mirror, turned the car off and coasted to a halt only to have flames come "licking" out of the front of the bonnet, if you know of anyone that could help pinpoint the origin of the fire i'ld be eternally gratefull
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

:shock: :cry:
Holy smoke, that's TOAST.
Dude - so sorry to see ....
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

yeah

I'll keep you all informed as to how this goes, and I'll try to make sure it stays out of the 6 o'clock news as I'm not impressed
77GDWAGON

Post by 77GDWAGON »

It is either fuel or electrics that caused the fire. I would most likely say electrical after having work done on the wireing.
1977 GD GALANT station wagon owned since 1988
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

OUCH! I would be completely devastated if it happened to me. Hopefully it is repairable and you get compensation for it.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

fuck man that sucks... go for compo i would haha.
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

GC75 wrote:fuck man that sucks... go for compo i would haha.
Yup
Last edited by Lowmion on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

By the looks of the burn marks on the bonnet and the melted brake reservoir, I would be inclined to believe a fuel line wasn't clamped on properly.

Petrol sprayed all round the engine bay and was ignited by the turbo, which in turn lit everything up.

Just an educated guess.

Cheers.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

dude id be in the exact same mindset dont worry....

your well forgiven. 8-)
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

Superscan811 wrote:By the looks of the burn marks on the bonnet and the melted brake reservoir, I would be inclined to believe a fuel line wasn't clamped on properly.

Petrol sprayed all round the engine bay and was ignited by the turbo, which in turn lit everything up.

Just an educated guess.

Cheers.
thats hectic!

compo $$$$$
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

TUFSIG wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
:cry:
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

Thnx

I'm so over that car now

If I stay outa gaol long enough I'll buy that green Galant and put the motor into it, as it'll be easier and cheaper - and dare I say faster.

So that means if Luke wants the IRS and 4 wheel factory ventilated disc brakes it's his.

[digital dash]

the 4 speed auto I'ld have to think about.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

then swing me the green galant and we have a deal :lol:

compo could pretty much pay it.... why not exaggerate a bit or something :lol:

non smoker and was hazard to your health hahaha :oops:
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

Flavio Siblio (yes that's Flav from the http://www.austarion.com/ forums for those un-initiated) told me that the fire would have been started by the headlight relay's he didnt replace on the left hand side of the motor, and that there's no way it started as a fuel fire, he said those relays shorted which somehow then ignited the fuel through the overheating wiring and etc etc

I must admit that I never expected him to do this to me, nor that he would intentionally do this to me.

He - Flavio Siblio, (yes that's Flav from the http://www.austarion.com/ forums for those un-initiated) , said to me - and yes I have witness's - that if it, (the fire that ruined my car), was a fault of his even though he re-wired the car and put and connected a new motor in it, that he'ld rebuild it, (the motor and repair the body), for free as per his obligations as a mechanic and a generally nice dude.

But he DOESN'T see this as his fault, so he says he's NOT obligated.

I've driven it for 216 kms whilst running it in -
Last edited by Lowmion on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.