82 Sigma Turbo - Build #375

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
Andy

82 Sigma Turbo - Build #375

Post by Andy »

Car Name: Mistikal
Model: 82 GH Sigma Turbo
Colour: Silver over Black
Engine Type: 2L Astron
Engine Mods: POD Filter, Manual Bleed Valve off inlet manifold, K&N Oil Breather Filter
Power: Enough to spin one wheel in 2nd on the brake!
Exhaust: 2.5" Mandel-bent mild-steel from turbo back, no rear muffler
Gearbox: Jap-spec 5spd
Diff: Stock open wheeler
Brakes: Stock and crappy
Suspension: Stock and very very soft
Wheels/Tyres: 15" PWS wheels, standard fitment
Interior: As per stock fitment
Other Mods: Blitz Boost gauge
Stereo: Alpine Headunit, 6" splits all round, amp under the seat

Future Mods :
  • New clutch - DONE.
  • Cut out all rust and fix
  • Paint to stock colors
  • Clean up the interior and make it much more presentable
  • VL Diff Conversion
  • Brake upgrade to Commodore spec on the front
  • Somehow upgrade suspension to more sports orientated items
  • 2.6L EFI Turbo conversion

Last edited by Andy on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andy

Re: 82 Sigma Turbo - Build #375

Post by Andy »

There is a video of a Sigma Turbo on Youtube getting a little tail happy, may or may not be the car I now own :) Search for 'Sigma Turbo MOV021' and you'll find it :)
Andy

Post by Andy »

Haha, never would have thought you'd be able to get a Sigma all crossed up and spinning both wheels... mind you... it was wet*.

* - I wasn't driving!

Also, should be able to get some pics tonight, need to clean the car out first thou, it's pretty grot.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Pictures added :)
Andy

Post by Andy »

Finally fixed the stereo up today, redid the wiring and added the missing crossover back into the drivers door, sounds sooooo mucn better!!

Also put what I believe is the fuel restrictor back onto it, appears to run alot leaner and smoother, doesn't choke as much.

Going to get a few quotes on panel and paint, and see if I can extend my personal loan to get it done. The rust is seriously starting to get to me already and I just want the bugger fixed! Even if the 2.6 has to wait, I want it to look shmick before I pull it to bits.
sigmare

Post by sigmare »

Mate i think it would be wiser to restore it to original spec. Might actually be worth something in years to come.
Andy

Post by Andy »

I realise it'd be worth more in original spec, but with it as far gone as it is, not much would be original anyway :(
Andy

Post by Andy »

Yeah there is actually, and it's not good :(

Pulled the roof lining down today as I wanted to see how much rust is in the roof, and it's absolutely riddled with rust. All the support beams are rusted out, the skin on the roof at the rear has rusted along the top of the rear window, and the tops of the B-pillars are rusted on the inside.

It's a shame really :(

Going to hunt down a good roller with as little rust as possible, and do the ol' swapperoo.

It won't be a ridgy-didge, but I'll be cutting out the Chassis numbers of the old shell, aswell as the VIN plates/etc, and keeping them somewhere safe :)
Andy

Post by Andy »

Funny you should mention that - think I've found one!

I've actually come across a few, and was even willing to drive one back across the country to get one without rust. The one I've found is local, with a popped 2.6L.

Will know later in the week if I've got it or not, fingers crossed!!
letmefknin

Post by letmefknin »

Will you be using the engine?
May be interested if it is a narrow block etc.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Depends how stuffed it is. If it's just a set of bearings or something small, then I'll use the bottom end :) If it's more sinister than that, more than welcome to it.
letmefknin

Post by letmefknin »

Ah, starting to catch on here; popped as in doesn't go?
Here's me thinkin 'popped' as in a little worked.
I have two boat anchors already......
Andy

Post by Andy »

Yeah, popped as in a dud ;) It's running on 3 cyls at the moment, so could just be something mundane.

Hopefully find out sooner than later if I've got it or not...
Andy

Post by Andy »

Well I didn't get that Sigma, but however, I did manage to get a donor car of a different kind :)

Pretty sure it's a TN Magna. It's got the 4-pot EFI motor with the head/etc that I need to convert this sucker to EFI :)

Will pick it up within the next week or so - it's got a defect for 'excessive oil leaks'.

Now to do a little research and work out exactly what I need to strip off the Magna.
Andy

Post by Andy »

As always, keep changing my mind - bit unsure about EFI conversion now. Got the Magna home and found out the head is knackered (warped, heat cracks all thru it) so ended up stripping out the glass and selling it for the same price I bought the car for and sent the rest to SIMS as not much else was worth saving. Kept a whole pile of screws and plastic clips/etc thou :)

Other than that...

Gearbox is out so we can replace the clutch. Turns out the clutch that is in it still had plenty of meat on it, but the flywheel was a little glazed. Starting to suspect that the clutch had some oil on it which caused the slipping. If the new clutch slips, will pull it back out and go a heavier duty clutch that can handle a little abuse.

Alternator is off as it has given up the ghost, getting the reg replaced and giving it a bit of a spruce up in the process.

Starting to get a little worried about this engine - we were able to turn it over by hand, albeit with a small amount of struggle. Starting to think that the rings are absolutely toast, as it also gets heaps of blow-by out the oil breather on the front of the engine. Thinking either re-ring and hone this motor and keep it 2L Carby, or new/recon 2.6L long-motor and slap the turbo gear on. Still undecided, see what the wallet says.

I keep forgetting that I bought this car as a daily, not something that I wanted to spend bulk coin on as I've already got a car for that... so just thinking of getting the carby rebuilt and leaving that in place at this stage... again, it's a case of what the wallet says :)