Hey there. I've been given a '79 Scorpion

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
Twelvespaces

Hey there. I've been given a '79 Scorpion

Post by Twelvespaces »

Newbie to the Mitsubishi world, I can't say I ever expect to make the jump from Datsun's, but I've been given a Scorpion. It's pretty cool. It's an auto, but it runs really well. Unregistered since 2013, it's was run up the back of another car, so the front bumper, grill and body work between them is ruined, plus the passenger parking light and indicator that's in the bumper. It's got a bit of rust in it, a decent size hole in the driver door, but that's manageable. The carpet is stained and the paint work feels like sand paper. But seriously.. parts.. I'm struggling to find replacements for the front end. With a 1600 Datsun, there is still so much around, people listing new parts every day. With this Scorpion, I feel like I own the last one in Australia. If anyone here has front end Scorpion parts or knows where I could source some, that would be awesome. Cuz I don't think I'll be passing a NSW blueslip without a front bar and parking lights. I'll post some pics if anyone is interested.
webby

Re: Hey there. I've been given a '79 Scorpion

Post by webby »

We love pics. Haha
I might have some spare GE/GH front end stuff, I'll have a look when I'm out at the farm this weekend. Where are you located?
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
Twelvespaces

Post by Twelvespaces »

Hey, sorry I haven't got back to this post, work has been killing me and I hope I'm replying properly. I haven't used a forum in years.

Anyway, I live in Sydney near the beaches, the Scorpion is parked out the front of my dads place in Maroubra.

I got a grill, as you can see in the photos. I've paint stripped it and sprayed it black. That strip panel between the bumper and the grill is pretty well screwed, and my dad had a go at straightening out the bumper, which sort of worked. I'm thinking about calling Flynns wreckers in Cooma as I have been there and an guess he would have a Scorpion or two rusting away down there. That's the other thing, there's a bit of rust to get out of it before it will pass a blueslip.

So, I've uploaded some photos, have a look: http://imgur.com/a/Af7zM
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

It looks pretty clean in those pics. It shouldn't be too hard to fix up.
Twelvespaces

Post by Twelvespaces »

Yea, it's not too bad. But when you get up close, like the guy who will be passing it for rego will be, it doesn't look so good. There's just going to be a bit of rust converter/bog/primer going on. I mean, it hadn't been started in 3 years, I did an oil change and flushed the radiator, put a bit of petrol in it and it went. Well, it wasn't that easy, but once I'd work out that I needed to prime the carby, it was sweet.
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

Looks in pretty good nic

I know Flynn's used to have a lot of cars in the day but do they still have any
My 1980 GH Scorpion Restoration Project - The Oz Snowmans Scorpion - Meet B1 and B2 - The Grey Ghost