Lancer SR20

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
lancersr20

Lancer SR20

Post by lancersr20 »

Hi all,

Now that my car is pretty much "finished", thought I'd post a few pics of her.
Feel free to have a look at my photobucket link for a more complete picture of the build that has taken around 5 - 10 years.

A quick run down of inclusions:

1980 LC Lancer (purchased 1989 and taken off the road in 1991 - reborn Aug 2014)
Subaru "WRC Blue" in Dulux 2 pak
Nissan EFI SR20 engine (sorry die hard Mitsubishi heads)
Nissan 5 sp
Scorpion disc brake rear
Adjustable Koni's all round
Magna twin spot front brakes grabbing Starion disc and fitted with King spring and adjustable platforms
Work Wheels 17 x 8 & 17 x 9.5" with 40series Nankang 205 & 245 tyres
Alpine sterio, 2 Amps, 2 subs and front splits
LB front & rear bumpers
Honda Integra seats, LX Torana mirrors
Custom interior and rear area (no rear seats)
Alarm, Electric windows, Central locking

Please feel free to comment or ask questions or send me a pm

Lindsay

Taz

Re: Lancer SR20

Post by Taz »

Hey mate, nice ride!
Im interested in the details of the rear disc conversion, ive been trying to track down some info on exactly whats the best path.
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

Hi Taz,

Mine uses a GE 1979 Scorpion diff with 3.7 (or 3.9 gears) ..... I think it may be the same centre as the standard Lancer ?

I did the mods myself. Removed the scorp suspension mounts etc... , Jigged up standard diff, removed leaf spring brackets and welded them back onto the scorp diff.
I think the diff is 25mm wider than the Lancer, which I thought would be great to fill the rear guards a bit more, but when combined with the offset on the front of my car (very modified) caused me no end of greif trying to find the correct offset of wheels. I had to have my wheels specially made and ordered (25P and 38P). Probably not so much of a problem if you will be running same wheels front and back though ! The hand brake cable is twin on the diff but changes to single up to the hand brake lever. The Lancer has twin cables. I use the standard leaf springs as stiffening the rear of the car would just make it "skate and dance" everywhere. It also has 22mm lowering blocks - but that actually virtually sit onto the bump stops :(

I have heard that Datsun 1200 diffs (or the commercial Nissan range) are also used - but not sure if they are discs ?

You may need to think about the brake master cylinder in the engine bay to, as I think there may be a valve fitted to suit drums (but removed for discs ... or something like that). Mine doesn't run the rear brake proportioning valve either - but my whole brake set up is very non standard.

Lindsay
Chrislb

Post by Chrislb »

Looks great Lindsay!
What struts are you using, and what are the Konis out of?
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

How did u adapt the front twin pot calipers
Built with pride, Driven in anger
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

Struts are Sigma large diameter with VP Commodore top hats and very modified Sigma lower arms.
Koni's (adjustable) for front I think are RAV 4 revalved etc ..... but can't remember what the rears are?

The Magna calipers are adapted via. a "dog bone" steel adaptor that I machined myself - wouldn't recommend this combination however as it was a bitch to position mm perfect to get them to fit 8o|
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

P.S. pic of most of the mods etc.... are in my photobucket link
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

yeah i saw the bracketry there......is that a custom adaptor or are they adaptors from another car???

(I'm planning on using Starion struts with brakes.....the twin pot magna calipers would be a good upgrade)
Belial

Post by Belial »

Was the bumper a straight swap?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Very nice :thumpsup:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

Thanks Dave :D

Scorpma82 - The bracket is "custom". The starion struts are quite different to the Sigma struts so you would have to suss the Magna calipers out. I know the mounting ears on the Starion (from memory) are vastly different !

Belial - The rear bumper was pretty straight forward bolt on (just the side mounting needs a little imagination).
The front however was "a bitch". It is "not right" but still looks great. This is because the chrome reflects sooo much that you can't really see "what's going on there". The panel pictured has since been trimmed back and I added a rubber trim strip to finish it off a bit better. The LB bar sits about 30mm below this panel (the LC bumber sat properly over the top of it). The mounting holes on the bumper were also slotted to allow it to move up as high as I could get it. (The side mounting also needs a imagination). Apart from that, trying to find LB bars, and in reasonable condition, and then having them reco'd will cost anywhere up to 1k for the pair :o

Lindsay

Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Cool, thanks for the info Sr.....I'll look at other avenues (Austrian would more than likely have a solution)
lance

Post by lance »

HI Lindsay

:thumpsup: The wheels look great , good choice.

Good to see its on the road but sad to see the Qld reg. Did you float the car up or drive it on a permit ??

Enjoy your ride ,it looks cool
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

Gidday Mark,

Yeah, the wheels I'm very happy with !
I got it registered the week before we left back in Aug 2014.
The maiden voyage was a lazy 2000km (Melb to Gold Coast) and it hasn't missed a beat. (H)
Drive her every day.
Bumped into "lca18" the other day and we compared nissan powered LC's yesterday.
Very cool car! It's a very dark metalic green (but looks almost black when the sun is not out)
Here are the "twins" together :P

How's your engine transplant/turbo etc coming along ?

Lindsay
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

They ^^^^ both look really nice,and must fly sideways with ease..I saw a guy on MMarket has nos side marker lights for sale for $25..(perhaps the owner of the dark green car is looking for a pair? ) (H)
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

They both go "well enough" :D

The green one is a CA18 Nissan with t3 turbo !
He is actually thinking of selling for the right price (H)
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

great to see yours is all finished mate. the green one is actually for sale on ebay. your lc looks great. i just finished swapping a 4g63 dohc into mine. doesn't look anywhere as neat as yours though. do you have any interior shots?
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

I will take some interior shots and add them to my photobucket soon and let you know.
The green Lancer is a really nice job- and a quick car too I'd suggest with the turbo Nissan
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

Orangelancer,

Interior pics as requested.

Here's one and the rest (about 20) are in my photobucket folder.

Lindsay
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

Just went through your photobucket and WOW. love the interior. Looks great. love how you've turned it into a 2 seater
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

Thanks orangelancer :)

I hope you may have picked up on the interior theme.
If not, the blue flash on the door trim continues into the rear.
It is the shape of the "L" in the Lancer badge. My sister came up with that and we worked around some designs. The interior guy did a great job of it (H)
The seats are still "as is" trim from the Honda that they came out of. I could have trimmed them to match but I ran out of time and they kind of matched reasonably well to the rest of the car :) ... (and I was kind of "over" the build by that stage!)

Yeah, I only turned it into a two seater when I tried sitting in the back seat after installing my new seats. It was a waste of time. So I decided to do something different.
The car actually ended up very much like the Torana SS Hatchback (in the photobucket) that I built when I was 19 (30 years ago!) ... although pretty much quite by accident :\
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

Yeah the back seats are pretty much useless. Barely any space. That being said I've crammed 5 6 foot + boys in mine and gone for a drive.
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

How did you go with the back of the motor hitting the drag link for the steering?
leoca64

Post by leoca64 »

beautiful!
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

Hi Karl,

The motor is set back a fair way (the firewall is recessed about 25mm and the tunnel was massively modified to fit the big nissan gearbox.

So basically, the motor went rearward as much as required until it cleared the drag link :think:

Lindsay