Picked up a Pajero

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
RaptorReed

Picked up a Pajero

Post by RaptorReed »

traded my subaru for it, much better choice and feels great to be back in a Mitsubishi :).
1990 Montero LS
6g72
AW2 4spd auto
Rear LSD
32x11.5R15 tires
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
geezer101

Re: Picked up a Pajero

Post by geezer101 »

Looks tough RaptorReed. Now that's a real off road 4WD. :thumpsup:
MadMuz

Post by MadMuz »

Geez... you must be strong! I would have needed a jack :D

Nah, that looks quite good.... make sure you service the trans and run a cooler..... How many Kms? (or should I say miles?)

Doesn't look like it has any rust? I like the sky light... sunroof (moon roof) whatever you call them over there (H) (either that or you got one with the steering wheel on the wrong side) :facepalm: :lol:
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

181.8k miles/292.5k km :P
I call it the party roof because of its location. Haven't found any actual rust yet but nor have I looked real hard, because that isn't really an issue in the region of the US I amlocated. I'll look into a trans cooler and servicing it.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
MadMuz

Post by MadMuz »

Yeah, I just mentioned the trans coz people usually forget about servicing them and fry them... especially if you do any decent wheeling a cooler is good....

looks like a great score..... :D
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Correction it's a 91 RS not a LS lol as per the VIN, so no LSD :(. Gen2 rear axle swap time lol!
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
MadMuz

Post by MadMuz »

Air lockers mate.... leave the diff open and fit air lockers both ends... will handle better on road and go anywhere off road,,,, serious wheeling with an lsd aint all that great and they can be pigs on the road if the diff is tight enough to do any good off road (H)
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Oh it actually has a factory external trans cooler btw, was looking for the oil cooler and saw both lol.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Took it out for the first time :), Not too bad with the LSD, but the open front diff caused the most issue. Also I'm down to just 2 mudflaps, it came with 3 intact. However in my wheeling adventure earlier (Friday), one ripped off somewhere. There's a Gen 2 at the local wreckers near me, that I have to go investigate to see if it has the factory air locker :). :thumpsup:
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Well that Pajero was short lived. Radiator cracked a few months ago, which led shortly to getting the engine too hot and cracked the heads, so I replaced them. Then last friday, it threw a rod....awesome. Now? I have another one already, that needed what looked like just suspension and front diff and rear axle. However while I did get it up and moving, it needs some tlc. Engine is burning oil, even though it just had it's heads redone supposedly, not sure how well though since distributor timing is off a bit and it also needs the rear of the frame pulled straight as it has a bit of a thrust angle issue.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion