76 GD Wagon (daily Battle wagon)

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
geezer101

Re: 76 GD Wagon (daily Battle wagon)

Post by geezer101 »

Merv wrote:That sticker makes me throw up a little in my mouth :think:
Not a fan of "The human caterpillar"? I've only ever heard about it and it sounds like one of the most phuc dup movies in history. As for the battle wagon the colour looks great with the matt finish - you gonna do the whole thing or what? (H)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea the movie itself is really stuffed! Makes me angry actually :\ lol..

But the sticker... I love it :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

geezer101 wrote: As for the battle wagon the colour looks great with the matt finish - you gonna do the whole thing or what? (H)
Yes i am, i need to track down either a bulk buy on rattle cans as they cost a fortune (25-30 bucks a can) or order a few liters of the stuff and spray it using the air compressor and spray gun :)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The good thing about buying it as a spray kit is if you get a heap of overspray somewhere, you just peel it off. Yeah, the spray can option would cost uber bucks - especially on a wagon.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

if u wanted to use the paint on smaller project.....couldnt u use lil airbrushing kits...like what u'd use on model cars?
Built with pride, Driven in anger
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The plasti-dip paint is heavy stuff. I think you wouldn't be able to put it through an air brush (and I don't really see much point when the spray can will do the same without the drama).
Narcotics

Post by Narcotics »

Just spray the roof gloss black
The most expensive car I've ever bought was a 1984 Mitsubishi... in 2014.
Merv

Post by Merv »

Ever thought of going rat rod style? Drop it on its rails and put black steel rims and white walls :thumpsup:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Merv wrote:Ever thought of going rat rod style? Drop it on its rails and put black steel rims and white walls :thumpsup:
Thats a no go, that everybody's resort when they CBF repainting their car, i know a few people who have done it, sure the end product is cool, but not when there are several others styled the same rolling around
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Not much happening here other than me cursing the fact that it isnt registered yet.

However I found the Original Owners Manual for the car, checked the chassis numbers and it matches. Even better is its chock full of receipts of work. the original owner made a really good effort to look after this car, and although the paintwork isnt too flashy anymore it shows in the fact it isnt riddled with rust and full of dead suspension and what not. Car was originally purchased from Stewart and Wright Car sales, Margate QLD. somehow made its way into northern NSW over the years. Also from what i can find i am the 5th owner of the Wagon. Pretty cool IMO

Check out this receipt, if run up a $90 bill just buying the parts these days

Cheers
VGJONO
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

It's always cool when you unearth info on your car. A solid history on where the car has been and how its been treated goes a long way on retaining its value 8-)
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So chucked a battery and a bottle of octane booster in the old girl today and got her running to move it around the yard, ended up going and clearing out some cobwebs in the backyard :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSz2lcmZ3Ts

Then later on i had to jump at the chance of getting a photo with all 3 of my GD's lined up :D

Horse also tried to eat it

and i kidnapped some people in it, that was a thing

Oh and did a video so anybody that was interested could hear the poo cannon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn6toK5P73g

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Also forgot to add ive been doing a little bit of parts collecting, not much but got a set of extractors and a new front lower panel
ImageImage
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Well spent today playing around with the ignition system to try and stop this misfire that it had going on, before i did anything i checked the Dwell angle to see what it was like, it read a ridiculous 70 degrees :|
So I gapped the points, chucked a spare set of leads on, dropped the timing down a little (roughly sitting at 8 degrees now i think) and gave it a kick in the guts, Nope... no good, so checked the points gap, i dun goofed so reset the points gap, Kicked it in the guts, Still misfiring, Ok, lets check the plugs....
so after seeing that i went into the shed and pinched the plugs out of my Sisters GA engine (it doesnt exactly need them right now) and cleaned them up and threw them in. kicked it in the guts and away it went without any misfires

Quickly gave it another check with the Dwell meter, 48 degree's (H) which is around what my sedan runs.

However i jumped in it and went for a run and it was cutting out still, decided to have a look down in the carby and found this.....
Anyone see what i see?

So i think a kit is in order, or a new carby... will see what happens.

Cheers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So i think i got my problem, the seal hanging inside the carby will be a simple fix, loosen carby top, put seal back in place, tighten down carby top and replace seal if it happens again, However i dont think the seal will be my problem, today i went and got some stuff to do a general service, Fuel and oil filters and a bottle of oil, took the old filter out and the fuel that was in it was not looking pretty, nice brown/orange tinge to it, so going to run the car around the paddock until its near on empty, drain the tank, throw some metho in it, drain it again and see what its like after that, if the metho comes out nice and skanky it might get a second flush.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I don't think the seal's gonna be any good - it will be stretched out of shape and will buckle when you try putting it back in place and screwing the carby top cover back down. Get a new(er) carby for it off a fwd Colt. It will be in much better shape than a 40 year old carby from another Galant... :thumpsup:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Another carby over a seal...... Oh hell no :P I have a spare seal, just being lazy, if it messes up then it's no issue, if I was going to go to the trouble of doing a carby swap I would be getting another 32/36 weber

Cheers
Vgjono :thumpsup:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Well got a little bit of stuff done on the Wagon today, finally got around to putting the New passenger seat in to match the driver seat, i have rails for the L/H side so was able to fit it correctly after i gave the rails a quick tidy up, for some reason one of the rails was pretty rusty so hit it with the wire brush, cleaned it and layed a quick coat of black on it. Then fitted some bits and peices to make it look legal, cover for the rear seat, cover for the fronts, although only the l/h side for now as i need to sort out the rails on the r/h side. also wiper blades, floor mats ect. ect. then re-wired a few things and called it a night
i need a sticker to replace the "IF" with a "WHEN" :lol:

Also my replacement R/H guard arrived today, way better condition in comparison to the one it has on it at the moment, will still need some love via the welder and a hammer.

Cheers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So got bored and decided to see what these wheels would look like on the Wagon since i was in the mood to wheel whore.

what i should have been doing is pulling the front sheet metal off for replacement and repairs, but i think it was still a productive morning :lol:
Also random interior shot because i can

Cheers
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

That is an interesting tacho mounting job. Was they your brainchild, or did it come like that?

BTW, do you like the rims or not? You never said?
What size and offset are they just out of curiousity. My guess is 14 x 6 +12 to 15mm

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Yeah i am a fan of the wheels, just kind of thinking on what i would need to do to make them work so i would love them, more low, a quick polish and i should be happy with the look, they sit perfectly in the rears so im stoked about that.

Fronts are 14x6 and the rears are 14x7, offsets im not sure on, however took a picture of the details if you know what you are looking at

Front
Rear

And no the Tach was the previous owners work, not pretty but it does the job.... except the tach dont work :P ive tried wiring it up but never got it working correctly so unhooked it all again, should be a wire for ground and a wire for the -ive of the coil right?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

VGJONO wrote:And no the Tach was the previous owners work, not pretty but it does the job.... except the tach dont work :P ive tried wiring it up but never got it working correctly so unhooked it all again, should be a wire for ground and a wire for the -ive of the coil right?
Take the instrument panel out and you'll find the trigger wire in the circuit board (it's marked as tacho on the back of the board). Trace the circuit back to the main plug to the panel and you'll have your tacho sender wire. Done!
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

For a tacho you need power (acc. Usually red wire), earth (black, as usual :P ), and tach source (green. Which you have right, -ve side of the coil).

All you're missing is power :) also, the white wires are the lighting. Tap that into your light switch ;-)
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Work has resumed on the wagon now we are waiting on stuff for the GA galant. Today i pulled all the front sheet metal off and me and my Father got to repairing the rust, sadly my phone died so i dont have photo's of the repaired sections. But here is what we were working with.

End of the day the guards are repaired and just need some smoothing out with a little bit of bog and sanding, then they are right to put back on, We got my seat rails sorted now too so in the next few days i will be getting the drivers seat bolted in correctly. end of the day though i got bored and chucked a random roof rack we had laying around onto the wagon, we have the matching one there to complete the set somewhere, anyhow i think it looks tops, even with no front sheet metal :P

Cheers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Bit more work has happend

Test fitted the yellow guard to see if i could live with a yellow guard on a brown car, NOPE

Also picked up a $40 orbital sander to make life a touch easier

Then took a bog on each guard

Then got to sanding

Reapeat that process a few times and i ended up here

Then came out the Spray fill/high fill (also gave the yellow guard a quick scuff)

And L/H guard done, hoping to have the R/H side done by wednesday night ready for assembly on thursday

Meanwhile, even with no front end and paint falling off of it it still sits in the corner of the yard looking badass.

Cheers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Spent today getting some more stuff done,

High Filled a few sections of the guard

Then i made the mistake of primering the whole panel, sadly i had some complications and i wasnt happy with the surface i was left with, so ended up wiping it all off with thinners.

By the time i had wiped all the primer off i was pretty much over everything, scuffed up the panel and got to painting

Also got the front lower done, also had some drama's but pretty much painted it in stone gaurd then gave it a few coats of Sienna metalic.

Going to grab some fine sand paper tomorrow, give the guard a quick rub down and put a few more coats on and it should be done, not bothering with clear as this is temporary and i really only painted it to make the panel blend in a bit more.

Cheers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

All bolted on now, just needs blinkers, bumper and grill.

Although i adressed another issue today which was a failing electric fuel pump, supposedly i was going to quickly swap in a mechanical pump but after some difficulties it took a few hours :facepalm:

In the end i fitted it, then pulled the top of the carby off and cleaned up all the crap in the bowl, also found the float was bent in an odd way which surely would not be helping with my previous running issues. after making a new gasket i popped the carby top back on, plugged it all up and away it went, running much better, has the odd random misfire but im sure i could get it sorted easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaH5Yy9 ... b91ILtMdYw

Now i just need to sort out some tires, finish up the front end, Swap the steering wheel out and one last rust repair, if i can find tires easily tomorrow i might have it regoed by friday, if not i might quit for a few weeks and sort some other things out.

Cheers
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Top half of your fuel pump mount cracked off? Lemme guess - no spacer? That has caught plenty of guys out. And there are a couple of different types of fuel pumps just to add to the confusion. Good to see you got it up and running though Jono - nice work. :thumpsup:
gdgalantlover

Post by gdgalantlover »

VGJONO wrote:So chucked a battery and a bottle of octane booster in the old girl today and got her running to move it around the yard, ended up going and clearing out some cobwebs in the backyard :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSz2lcmZ3Ts

Then later on i had to jump at the chance of getting a photo with all 3 of my GD's lined up :D

Horse also tried to eat it

and i kidnapped some people in it, that was a thing

Oh and did a video so anybody that was interested could hear the poo cannon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn6toK5P73g

Cheers
What wheels are on the Wagon? size and name?
GDGALANTLOVER

Current Cars

- 1980 GH Sigma Wagon

Past Cars
- 1976 GD Chrysler Galant Sedan
- 1975 GC Valiant Galant Wagon
- 1980 Nissan Datsun Stanza
- 1978 GE Chrysler Sigma SE
- 1986 Mitsubishi RC Colt
- 1974 Mitsubishi Colt Galant A53
- 1985 Nissan Datsun 720
- 1990 Toyota Corolla SX 4AGE