76 GD Wagon (daily Battle wagon)

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
VGJONO

Re: 76 GD Wagon (daily Battle wagon)

Post by VGJONO »

Been a while but I done gone and did things :P

I noticed the bumper bar support looked strange, Old one on the left, new one on the right.

Pretty much its all back together now, fixed a few small unnoticeable things and swapped out the carby for the old Carby from the GD Sedan. Which didn't help much, but made a difference

Flushed out the fuel tank, Got a bunch of stuff out of the tank and all was good. This is the 10l of E10 mixed with a litre of Metho that I used to clean the tank after draining it out. as you can see it is red and there is alot of crud on the bottom of the container.

started the car and ran it for a bit and the fuel was coming through nice and clean, Not a Dirty red colour it was before. But no Improvement to the Engine, it was still picky about when it would idle and coughed and farted when you tried to rev it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxZUd-utej8

Then I had a complete Brainfart and thought i had drained a decent amount of water out of it, so I took the Radiator cap off to find that I had not drained anything out, but it did leave me to find this.....

Which then lead me to find this on the oil cap

After that things were thrown, verbal abuse was heard throughout the neighbourhood ect. ect. And now I'm lost as to what I do, I can chuck a new head gasket on and hope that is the only problem and there isn't any cracks in the head or worse yet, the block. Or I could swap in the 2.0l 4G52 i have. Thought whats the worse that could happen, so I went to work pulling the motor apart to see what was up. Not exactly sure what to think of what I found. (Excuse the potato spec Photo's, phone is on its last legs)

As you can see there is no clear damage to the Head gasket, but there are some signs of gasses getting past the gasket. For example

Now Checking the head over and it looks to be pretty warped when I put the straight edge on the Surface of the cylinder head, however I cannot see where water and oil would have mixed, unless I've missed something, so now my concern is that the head is damaged or cracked internally. Still not sure where this will all land, for now im still thinking what my next move is, continue with this motor or cut my losses and get my 4G52 2.0 bolted in and mod plated.

Cheers
VGJONO
77GDWAGON

Post by 77GDWAGON »

Warped head probably means overheated at some stage which would cause the water to mix with the oil most probably from the rear water jackets to the oil return galleries when the engine is warm.
1977 GD GALANT station wagon owned since 1988
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

I'm guessing ur going with the 4g52 purely out of money/resource limitations, but, if u were going to the extent of a 4G5x engine..wouldn't u go with the 54,.and if ur heart is set on a 2L, I'd consider a SOHC 63 to be the better option
Built with pride, Driven in anger
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Scorpma82 wrote:I'm guessing ur going with the 4g52 purely out of money/resource limitations, but, if u were going to the extent of a 4G5x engine..wouldn't u go with the 54,.and if ur heart is set on a 2L, I'd consider a SOHC 63 to be the better option
Going with the 4G52 because i already own it :P

A 2.6 would be nice, But currently i have my heart set on being a weirdo and trying out a Turbo deisel engine. But that's a long way off before I have the time and money to pursue that.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Love wacky ideas and weirds creations and all sorts of creative "outside-the-box" thinking.........but a '76 Galant TDi? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Hmmmmmm, not sure about that one tbh....but like i said, full marks for the creative thinking

I'd be more inclined to run a highly modified Buell motor (sports bike built by Harley-Davidson) and fabricating it into the rear end of the wagon (more the likely through the floor).....those motors can produce more power (and torque) than just about any 4 cylinder car motor (in N/A form)....and weigh about 60% less than the factory units
Built with pride, Driven in anger