GD SOFT-TOP TURBO RACE CAR BUILD

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
BlownPajero

GD SOFT-TOP TURBO RACE CAR BUILD

Post by BlownPajero »

Hi all,

I joined up mid-late last year after swapping a 4G61T for TurboL200's old soft top GD, so I thought i should give you all an update on the madness that is occurring in the man-cave (Shed)

Finally i have cleared a space in the shed to get it out of the weather so that i can start restoring it!

have tidied it up and cleaned it right out getting ready to give it a full respray in the near future (yes I can spray-paint like a boss)

Have just brought ASTRONTURBO's old Kit he had for sale here for $600, -Many thanks for the clean bit of kit, i shall put it to good use! :thumpsup:

So not going to do much talking the pictures below are pretty much self-explanatory of the progress being made!

astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: GD SOFT-TOP TURBO RACE CAR BUILD

Post by astronturbo77 »

Looking good gonna use it as suck through not blow through?did the dump pipe fit?
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

wheres the soft top ??
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
BlownPajero

Post by BlownPajero »

amgis_obrut wrote:wheres the soft top ??
Well... there isnt one :(

I plan to re-skin the whole roof myself among other things (Car was originally a vynil top), I will be restoring the car to its orginial condition

- minus the paintwork gold is a horrible colour!

-pete
BlownPajero

Post by BlownPajero »

astronturbo77 wrote:Looking good gonna use it as suck through not blow through? did the dump pipe fit?
Well im gonna try the weber kit i got a go... seeing as i have already coughed up for it, no doubt it will be a prick to tune but ill get it right with a bit of time and effort, if its no good after that ill wack the su on it.

-not a fan of having the carb hanging off the turbo, plus like you said i dont want to have to rip the filter off to kick it in the guts

Going to setup a water injection nozzle spraying straight into the turbo for epicness,

Lancer dump pipe does fit! have to attach it to turbo then sit it all down on the manifold (tiny squeeze then it sits perfectly) :thumpsup:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

BlownPajero wrote:Going to setup a water injection nozzle spraying straight into the turbo for epicness,
Worse move ever. The water has the potential to become a cutting agent and slice through the fins on the compressor due to the high rpm and intake air speed. You'll need to spray the water at 90 degrees to the air flow and make sure it is as far away from the compressor wheel as possible, try to ensure maximum atomisation and make sure whatever you're using for a sprayer nozzle has no way of coming loose and heading into the intake of the turbo. Water/water-methanol injection is a good idea on a turbocharged engine but can go badly wrong if it's not set up with some careful thought...
BlownPajero

Post by BlownPajero »

God no, wont be facing the nozzle straight into the turbo haha!
BlownPajero

And so it begins...

Post by BlownPajero »

Hi Forum,

Sooo this weekend I have officially started the restoration work.

have almost got the front end sorted even got the plastic grill that was starting to crack and split repaired (scored it for $20)

Am currently welding up the stone tray/panel under front bumper and I am trying find a rust repair patch for the front passenger side guard.
so far I'm happy with the progress that has been made this weekend. if i get stuck into it i should have it done by early winter. :thumpsup:

As for the engine side of things I'm getting the dump pipe modified (getting it done professionally) (don't have the tools to modify it myself)

will be show-worthy when I'm finished.
gdgalantlover

Post by gdgalantlover »

I swear thats my old grille!
GDGALANTLOVER

Current Cars

- 1980 GH Sigma Wagon

Past Cars
- 1976 GD Chrysler Galant Sedan
- 1975 GC Valiant Galant Wagon
- 1980 Nissan Datsun Stanza