84 wagon - big plans

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
gareth12

84 wagon - big plans

Post by gareth12 »

So heres my proud purchase! Got a permit to drive it back to NSW from VIC and it never missed a beat.

Didn't have time to clean it before the sun went down

Last edited by gareth12 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gareth12

Re: 84 wagon - big plans

Post by gareth12 »

had a few little issues:

auto linkages were sloppy as, leading it to stay in reverse when it was put in park, not a good look when you start it and lurch backwards.... Made a few metal bushes (out of crap from my garage floor) to get it reliable for now.

high beam warning lamp wasn't working - fixed

wiper blades were shot - fixed

overflow bottle leaked a bit - fixed with one i had for my rod for now

steering seems a bit sloppy and ill be buggered if i can loosen the nut on the box to adjust it.... Even made a special tool and it still didn't budge... but it may be as good as they get, im not sure

seems to be a bit of a dog when its cold so will have a play with the cold idle speed next morning start and see if it helps

Plan is to get it on NSW rego and daily drive it for now...
gareth12

Post by gareth12 »

Then the plan is to leave it looking just as it is, bar the wheels and drop an LS1/t56 manual in it, hilux or r31 diff, some bigger brakes on the front, master to suit, chaser steel wheels, see what i need to do with the front spring/shock wise and i would like a power rack, but would settle for a power steering upgrade... So im thinking i might try get my hands on another rough wagon so i can mock up fitting things then put the brakes/diff into mine one weekend and then the motor/box etc when i have that sussed
A112H

Post by A112H »

Looks like a great pick up Gareth and pretty good money for $1100. Really looking forward to seeing the build thread.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Looks in good condition.

So drive it as a daily for now, and the long term plans? Did I read somewhere you were talking V8 transplant?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
gareth12

Post by gareth12 »

yeah 75wagon, you were probably replying when i posted the third post, ls1 is the planthey weigh about the same as a straight 6, so i should be a step ahead of the ford v8 sigmas
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

gareth12 wrote:yeah 75wagon, you were probably replying when i posted the third post
I was actually fixing the title for you before I posted :thumpsup:
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
gareth12

Post by gareth12 »

hahaha i wrote 74? too used to playing with 70s stuff...
ripthesystem

Post by ripthesystem »

love the roof racks. keep it original bar what you said. can't go wrong :thumpsup:
gareth12

Post by gareth12 »

cant get the bloody wheels of it lol, anyone got a spare factory wheel nut tool for these mags?
71GA

Post by 71GA »

all i use on my wheels is a half inch allen key socket.
gareth12

Post by gareth12 »

Been collecting a lot of bits over the last few months. fitted power steering to the car and have just been driving it. Done a few things like worked out the magna digital dash and made a loom for it but otherwise been biding my time wanting to keep my daily drivable.

Bits i have collected include - Hilux diff now with 3.56 LSD and sigma mounts, brake parts, hoppers brake kit (gave up on my own design as i wanted it done yesterday), WK statesman LS1 and auto, LS1 standalone loom, security removed LS1 computer, magna dash and i'm sure there's more.

Anyway last weekend i pulled it of the road. Fitted a smaller hot rod dual diaphram booster, HQ 1 inch master and prop valve. I have 2 weeks of coming up so i figured i would bite the bullet and pull the motor. I was advised the auto might fit the tunnel bit it was way to small so i have cut it out

Anyway! pics...

not much space anywhere, radiator will be interesting...

Billsy

Post by Billsy »

just found this thread... I approve :)
nice mint example to start with too
Insert witty one liner here -->
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Don't stop there! You can't! :P I need more :D
N/A ALL THE WAY
gareth12

Post by gareth12 »

Did the tunnel and crossmember, pretty horrible job lol... Just got to clean up the welds. The floor was so thin on the drivers side...

amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

YAY another V8 sigma

DEATH TO THE ANCHORTRON
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

nice job
4GB63t
gareth12

Post by gareth12 »

Had a very busy couple of weeks!

ve shorty headers went well, drivers side fit without mods, passenger side needed some work

Pic of the booster setup, ebay hot rod dual diaphram job, the rest being HQ

I got the factory heater back in which was a total PIA, it was joined tot he fan by the AC which is removed so some dutcing and duct tape fixed that

Big thanks to Just Alloy Radiators for busting his butt to get me a custom made radiator done as quick as he could, i didn't get a pic sadly but it was a work of art.

Few mods to the engine cover mount to get the sigms speedo cable to work

Pretty exciting that last one...
gareth12

Post by gareth12 »

Lots of big and little jobs sorted, took it for engineering today, eside from speedo calibration and hoppers stoppers brake kit having a disc scraping caliper issue it was all good!

The hilux LSD is junk, single pegs all over the shop, only had 80,000 on it. Anyway i will get it tightened up or get a True Trac.

Few little things to sort otherwise, but pretty happy..... Doesn't feel that fast though, maybe cos it weights 1400kg on the weighbridge! Already thinking about cams heads etc... But first the LSD and some much stiffer shocks! Actually i posted a thread asking for the bolt spacing on the commodore vb-vp strut tops on another forum but got no reply if anyone could help? I know the inserts fit the sigma, but they wont fit the sigma tops.

ANyway! some pics!

^ i like this

C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Love the exhaust, and the fact it looks so standard on the outside.

When I had my GH Sigma with the VR4, the outside was completely stock looking, right down to the dodgy paint and factory wheels. Lots of fun upsetting try hard P Platers at the traffic light grand prix, even more fun when you can hear there mates bagging them out when there fully sik Falcodore gets beaten by a 'shitbox'.
71GA

Post by 71GA »

Hey mate love the wagon. From memory all i had to do with 3 bolt strut tops was drill the hole out in the top spring plate as the commodore shocks dont have the locating flat. I made a tool up to tighten the nut up but a rattle gun works fine too.
gareth12

Post by gareth12 »

few pics of the dash, just cos i reckon it looks cool! Thanks to this forum for giving me some idea with where to start on wiring

A112H

Post by A112H »

Awesome work mate. The end result is perfect :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: