OddlyShaded's GA Galant

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
lchilds82

Re: Little sis's GA Galant

Post by lchilds82 »

VGJONO wrote:One of these things is not like the other
One of these things just doesnt Belong

:banh:
Hey mate im just trial fitting some new rims on my GB and have notice exactly the same thing left side has more room in front of tyre to the guard???? it has new inserts so not sure what would be the cause?
4GB63t
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Got bored with the camera today and had all the cars out so decided to take some photo's

saving money at the moment to get a new master cylinder, then i will flush the system out and fit the new master, then hopefully i will have no more issues, also going to be getting a kit for the front calipers just to be safe.

And Lchilds, i believe we spoke on FB, good to hear it was only something simple :thumpsup:

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Good work with the project for the sister! my sister has a 120y which she just obtained and finding some hidden things she was hoping wasn't there (i think you know what i'm referring to).. offered my services to help her so we"ll see how that goes :P. End of the day you feel like you can't refuse to offer help as they are family and you want to pass your knowledge down to them so they at least have a better understanding on the proper way to modify their projects and at the same time get that satisfaction to.

Looks like its coming together nicely though mate, whats next on the cards?
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
OddlyShaded

Post by OddlyShaded »

Im so glad my car is amazing... I don't know what to post other than a lot of blood sweat and tears went into getting it moderately ok.... More work to happen of course... Never bloody stops.
GA '71 Galant
VGJONO

Re: OddlyShaded's GA Galant

Post by VGJONO »

wow havent checked in on this thread in a few weeks.

Thats awesome Gormzz, yeah im guessing the automotive cancer is running rampid in some area's

whats next, why a GD hardtop ofcourse (H)
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=10889
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

How did you change the name? Lol
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Magic (H)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:hit:

Haha :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

OddlyShaded wrote:Im so glad my car is amazing... I don't know what to post other than a lot of blood sweat and tears went into getting it moderately ok.... More work to happen of course... Never bloody stops.
*cough* you can do an update *cough*
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Fine, since she wont update her own thread then i guess i will do it :P

Yesterday after i figured my car wasnt getting done we decided to start on the GA again, a few weeks ago a got front caliper rebuild kits and new rear cylinders, so into the shed it went where both front calipers were stripped down, cylinders hones, pistons tidied up and then put back together with new seals and what not, after we got the fronts done it was getting dark so plan was to put them back on the car and quickly bleed them so we can drive it across the yard, thats when the master cylinder produced a big F$*^(* you and decided to die, no matter what there was no pressure building up what so ever, so looks like that is next on the list.

In other news the calipers are now green and the 15" wheels have made it back onto the front of the car

Cheers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Some more goodies in the fight to fix the brakes

75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Looking good :) but does she stop? :P

And that isn't the same as my MC :( my lines come off the side..
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Lines used to come off of the side of this one too, Went through the parts list and most of the specs matched the one i initially tried to order, so was told to get it. lines were modified to fit, id say it would be a bit more of a task on your car as you would have the 2 lines for the front instead of one like this one has since its boosted. and they havent been tested as of yet, need to smack the new rear cylinders in and fill her up with fluid.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Brakes still havent been fixed, buys seat covers and floor mats because they were green #womenlogic :lol:

gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

That booster is a strange setup. Have you thought about removing it?

They don't increase breaking, so if you're breaks are setup well you'll hardly notice the difference.
71 GA Galant - Project
Build thread is here: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5600
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Removing it is going to be way more of a headache than leaving it there so it can stay, yeah it is strange but seems to work so it doesnt bother me.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

its a substitute because the car has no factory booster.......part number is VH40
Built with pride, Driven in anger
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Well it stops, and doesnt stay stopped when you dont want it to be stopped, so therefore fixed :thumpsup:

here is a video of my Sister and father taking it on a short test drive down the street, magically the handbrake cable had snapped by the time they got back :wut:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xVuGzBI9qQ

Cheers
OddlyShaded

Post by OddlyShaded »

VGJONO wrote:Brakes still havent been fixed, buys seat covers and floor mats because they were green #womenlogic :lol:

Oi. Don't pick on me... I just didn't like that feeling of burnt ass when I sat in my car. Besides. The brakes work... Kinda.... Everything but the handbrake now.... >.>
GA '71 Galant
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

First day of daily duties was a success :thumpsup:

OddlyShaded

Post by OddlyShaded »

It's been bathed. Now he's shiney rather than disgustingly brown and filthy.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

My Handbrake at the moment is:
GA '71 Galant
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So a little bit of work has been carried out on Al the last few days, He's been a joy to drive so far, few unpleasant noises coming from the rear wheel bearings and an oil leak that i will have to track down and fix but other than that he hasnt missed a beat...... well he has gotten me home anyways, had a small snag with the Alternator regulator that left me driving the last 2klm's home the other night with little to no headlights and a flat battery. More on that in a bit.

So on Thursday OddlyShaded got to the bumpers and chrome trims with some metal polish, and boy did it make a difference
Left(unpolished) v. Right (polished)
After
Rear (was already pretty good as it came from a partscar i had)

While this was all happening i was underneath checking the Diff oil (of which needed a small amount of oil to top it up) and while i had the rear wheels in the air i swapped the matching set of 15x6.5's onto him
Just a bit wider :P

Now come Friday we had plans to take Al out to a car meet at Mt Gravatt (of which didnt happen... the meet, not taking all up the mountain) But i wanst too confident since i had issues with the electricals the night before, so after work i went for a run into the Autoparts store, ordered him some new rear wheel bearings, grabbed some oil and a fan belt that fit just a little bit better than the old one which had a decent amount of slack in it, also grabbing myself a multi-meter to check the voltage and what not.
Started him up and the alternator was barely charging, just enough to sustain the battery at 12.5v, then i turned the headlights on and it dropped to about 11v, so i decided to check the regulator and brushes

Pretty sure they were the problem :P

Chucked a spare in and all was good, while not perfect he was charging 13.5v with the headlights on, which is much better than before.
So we ended up taking him up Mt Gravatt to a meet that didnt happen, then took him back down (scaring the shit out of Oddlyshaded on the way down :lol: ) and he handled it all like a little trooper.
Some Servo Pictures after we pulled up to grab some stuff

Cheers
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Looks mint! :thumpsup:

Gonna have to get oddlyshaded out to polish my bars :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
OddlyShaded

Post by OddlyShaded »

Haha, and your carpet too ;P
GA '71 Galant
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Nah I bought carpet that already fits my car :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
OddlyShaded

Post by OddlyShaded »

T'will never be as glorious as the hand laid carpet of ye ol' Grumpy Al... Just face it.
GA '71 Galant
webby

Post by webby »

Nice work guys :thumpsup:
My sister wasn't interested when I offered to help her fix up my old blue Scorpion, she likes it, but she's "moving to Wollongong for university, there's no point in owning a car in the city"... :hit:
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
OddlyShaded

Post by OddlyShaded »

Been taking Al out a fair bit lately. First time I drove him on my own out to Auto One car meet.

Then Sunday out to Last Place Cruising Cruise with VGJONO
Image A glorious picture of Al & Jon's GD by AC Automotive Photography.
GA '71 Galant
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Nice stuff. Amazing what a bit of love can do for an old car, it's come up very tidy (a matching set of wheels help too) :thumpsup:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

It sure does, everyone is loving it, few people prefer it over my GD despite the 4x4 spec suspension :P

was also a very nervous few moments when we both got followed for about 5klm by a police car, with Al spewing blue smoke all over them every time we took off from a set of traffic lights :lol: