OddlyShaded's GA Galant

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
VGJONO

Re: Little sis's GA Galant

Post by VGJONO »

One of these things is not like the other
One of these things just doesnt Belong

:banh:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

You still on about the shockies? :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

yup :lol:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:facepalm: haha! :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So Al got a some new goodies installed yesterday, New Pedders Comfort gas strut inserts and better sway bar gear, when i was taking the strut out i noticed all the bushes for the sway bar were badly perished so while i we were waiting for the struts to come back from my uncles shop we decided to have a look under the parts GB, to my suprise the link pin bushes were like new and the sway bar mounts/bushes were nolathane = WINNING (H) so we dropped them out, cleaned them up and fitted them aswell, after making the sway bar green :thumpsup:

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Green is nice
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So we went on a parts haul down to the local Auto one to get some bits and pieces for both this and my GD, while we were there i thought i would ask the carpet place down the road if they had anything,
turns out they did, not the right colour but it will work, so 60 bucks later and a fund drive home with it hanging out the window, we had carpet.
my sister is working on the front now, last time i checked in on how she was going i was greeted by this......
im sure its fine.... :P

also wire brushed back a few of the rust spots and sprayed them with etch primer for now (just to get it through rego) also got stuck into the front right guards lower quarter and turns out it was hiding a previous repair under half an inch of bog, will get that welded up and give it a coat of etch to get us through roadworthy and registration then look into it later.

Cheers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So the last two days have been busy, with no end in sight over the next few days as it needs to be regoed by friday :|
instead of explaining what we have done im going to do a dump of images of which should give you an idea of the work going on

interior is also kicking along nicely, new seats are in (now both are black)

i have done more but it was dark so didnt bother with photo's, pretty much the front right guard is ready for paint and i have started painting the valance panel, since it is pretty rough i decided to use stone guard paint on it to hide some uglies and will then apply a coat of orange over the top of that.

So the list of to-do now consist of
- Sand and paint repaired sections
- Fit panels
- bleed brakes
- fit rear seats
- re-wire high beams
- wire up reverse lights
- replace speedo cable
- fit dash and new glove box
- trouble shoot demister problem (pretty sure the earth wire just needs to be attached to the body somewhere)
- Cross fingers and hope that the roady bloke is in a good mood

Cheers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

more stuff, more to come later
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Noice! :D paint looks close :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

ended up getting auto one to mix me up a rattle can of burnt orange, so it is the same, only difference is fading from the age of it, the only thing that wont match is the front valance, i used a different orange to paint it because i hadnt been to auto one to get the paint mixed yet :P
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Haha awesome :D should look alright mate :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Looks great :thumpsup:
With that amount of filler, watch out for flex when assembling.
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

cheers guys, went out and spent another hour or so on it before it got to late, got a guard on and finished up some interior bits
(the bottom of the guard has been corrected and sits in closer since this picture was taken)

and apparently this is now a thing

Cheers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Most of the front end has been fitted, bumper is also in place now. got the glovebox replaced aswell, pick up a new speedo cable tomorrow and then its a working frenzy to finish it off, although it doesnt seem like much got dont today a lot of small insignificant stuff got done, biggest things being patches of surface rust are now fixed up, new door lock, new glove box and the demister is now working. tomorrow will be busy, we will be doing the door cards, fitting the gauge cluster and speedo cable, fixing the issue with the high beams and fixing and fitting the last of the cosmetic stuff (rear bumper and grille) then i will bleed the brakes and take it for some test laps in the yard to make sure the brakes are going to hold up, alsong as they do we should be all set, the rest of the car seems mechanically sound, the engine starts first time every time, the gearbox feels good and the clutch feels fine.

anyways fingers crossed we have it ready for roadworthy in time
Cheers
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Doing a great job guys :)

I expect a visit once its registered (A) haha :P

I'd offer some assistance, but I'm working until 5 tomorrow, and need to have my cars loom pulled through, master cyl off, and engine/box/tailshaft pulled.. All by tomorrow :\ so I'm feeling ya :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Well today it passed roadworthy, sadly not in time to get it registered though, got to the local department of transport and they had closed the doors already :( but atleast it is ready to be registered by next monday, i am going to switch out the front brake calipers, they are passable but after having a look at them when they were off of the car i dont trust them and would not want to have to stop in a hurry with them, so thats my plan for the weekend, once thats done i will be happy to take it on monday to register it.

the grille was also taken back off to be repainted.

Cheers
VGJONO
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So today was a long..... long day

First of all we done a little bit of a tidy up after we went throught the brakes yesterday, we completely removed and cleaned the front left caliper leaving the right side as it was functioning ( :banh: )
Then it bit me in the arse, got about 15k's away from home and the front right brake was locked on and had us come to a halt on our way up a hill just up the road from my grandparents
so i made a call and my grandfather was able to provide my sister with a lift home to get a support vehicle and a bunch of tools, as they headed of i was sitting in the passanger seat of the car, and just as they got out of sight the brake come un-stuck and the car started rolling backwards, quickly ripped the handbrake up properly and checked my undies :P then started the paranoia as i was sitting on the side of the road in an unregistered car, and all the paperwork for rego was in my sisters name. all i could think of was a cop popping up over this hill to make my afternoon worse.
once my sister returned i decided we would just drive it up to my grandparents as they offered a concrete driveway and shade to fix up the brake caliper, aswell as a rattle-gun and a few other things to make it easier
turned out to be a bunch of mud and water in the caliper :| after cleaning it and re-assembling it we were on the road again, this time we went the back roads so we didn't attract attention if we broke down. also got to give her a blat on some dirt roads :P
finally we made it and got it all registered no problems, then on the way home we had some admirers :facepalm:
they werent too bad, the superior officer was pretty cool and was happy after he checked over the paperwork, meanwhile the other officer was ready to look over every nut and bolt :z thankfully all they did was breath test me.

So now the fun begins, i will be putting the plates on it and driving it around for a few weeks to work out any bugs before my sister can drive it, although she is going to drive home from her year 12 graduation on Friday

Cheers
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

A big... Very well deserved... Very underrated! Bloody good job! :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

VGJONO wrote:they werent too bad, the superior officer was pretty cool and was happy after he checked over the paperwork, meanwhile the other officer was ready to look over every nut and bolt :z thankfully all they did was breath test me.
Oh for the freaking love of God...you leave from having it rego'd and cleared and then the cops pull you up. Lucky it wasn't while you were on the side of the road earlier or they would've eaten you alive.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Cheers 75, and yeah, super glad it wasnt when we were on the side of the road geezer, it was entertaining seeing the senior officer tell the lady copper that it was and old car and this kind of stuff happens, when she pointed out the radiator had a slow leak :P also she didnt know that you could get roadworthies from mobile mechanics, she was questioning me as to why the address the roadworthy was completed at was the same as my address :P
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

she didnt know that you could get roadworthies from mobile mechanics, she was questioning me as to why the address the roadworthy was completed at was the same as my address
:lol: :lol:

Well done.

Awesome thing, doin up an old car with ya younger sis. I did same when my sis turned 16, I gave her my old Cortina to do up for when she got her P's. Tought her so she could look after herself if something went wrong, and was an awesome experience.

cheers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

bruggz351 wrote:Tought her so she could look after herself if something went wrong, and was an awesome experience.
pretty much why i have done this, so she isnt the only one that is useless when it comes to cars in our family :P

We took Al for a drive to the shops today, and my sister drove him for the first time, she loves it, thinks driving him is the best thing...... untill the brakes ceased up on us again :banh: we ended up stuck in a carpark, was waiting for the hoon squad to show up as i got the crankies and dropped the clutch in first and spun the wheel a little (sorry 75glnt :P didnt mean to on your wheels) then we called up and organised a tow truck, and in true fashion as we got off the phone the brakes started to loosen off, so i forced it down the road the 2klms to home we had to go, got into the yard and they locked again.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Sounds like the piston is sticking....just get a rebuilt kit and replace all the rubbers with fresh lube/fluid
Built with pride, Driven in anger
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

^^ Do this first. But I've also found that old rubber hoses can grow flaps that act like one way valves. Sounds weird, I know, but it happened on my Corty. I replaced the hoses with new and problem gone. When investigating the old hoses with compressed air is when I found the groovy growth.

Also, does the pedal return normally?

cheers

edit...

75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:lol: all good :) they're stuffed anyway :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

We are thinking it is the master cylinder, going to rebuild it, if it was a rubber hose it would only lock one wheel whereas this is all the brakes. Fronts and rears lock up, front left seems to be first to lock but the rest are locked as well
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Ahh ok. Yeah, that suggests the master cylinder. Easy to put a kit through.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Just drove it till it locked up and jacked it up, all wheels except the rear left lock up, that suggest to me that the master cylinder is still working and it might have something to do with contaminated fluid
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

well i got bored this morning and decided to do something different so thought i would drive Al to work despite his brake issues, i only work a few k's up the road so it was no big deal. recorded my trip home because i could :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwTQn5SuaRI

Cheers