GE Sigma love

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
Rokinfreekapotamus

GE Sigma love

Post by Rokinfreekapotamus »

I've been looking for a good couple years to find a nice base to start a project on. I've had a love for high roof wagons and Ge sedans. But every time I find one it's too far away, or sold, or I have no spare cash. Well today it has all changed.

Not but an hour ago i went and picked up a deceased estate GE Sigma SE all original and rust free, with 3 weeks rego for $200.
It's a deal, it's a steal, it's sale of the fucking century.

my previous plans were for a Shakotan style GE. Drop it on its guts, fender mirrors, flares deep dish wheels etc etc, but an SE in such nice condition I may reconsider what i do. Open for suggestions, Pictures may help.

VGJONO

Re: GE Sigma love

Post by VGJONO »

Looking good man, a good exhuast, a decent set of wheels and a subtle drop in height would do it a world of good, other than that grandpa style it all the way (H)
A112H

Post by A112H »

:thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup:

Lower it, rear venetian, update the powertrain and widen the stock wheels.
Keep the 13's I reckon but get them widened to 13x8 and chuck the hubcaps back on, would look tough.
Rokinfreekapotamus

Yeah, I was thinking to keep 13 inch, maybe not originals. But, I hadn't thought of getting them widened with the stock hub caps, could be cool.

What fender mirrors would anyone suggest? There is some Bullet ones on Ebay i see a lot of, anyone know of they're goo,d or should I be looking at the ones in the FS section?

any places anyone can recommend getting wheels widened?
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

with fender mirrors i beleive its not too hard to get some period correctish ones, i think they will look better than the bullet ones, so yeah the ones in the FS section are probably your best bet :thumpsup:

What motor and Trans does this old beast have?
Rokinfreekapotamus

true, there is a set like A112H's on ebay that i like the look of, I'd rather MMC ones, but i prefer the chrome to the big black boxy ones. I guess i could be converted though.

It's a 2L Auto at the moment, it's saying it has 160,000 on it, which i less than my 2003 AWD magna. But there is a service sticker saying next service 170,000 or sometime early 2012, not entirely sure the date. The odometer wasn't working when I first picked it up, but i've solved that.

It runs quite well, no diff whine, there's a little slack but barely noticeable. Needs new front shocks and i think bushes. It's got a weird floaty feeling, which i guess is the shocks, but every now and then, when turning, it seems like it takes a moment for the rest of the car to catch up (if that makes any sense). I had a similar feeling in my first sigma i had, and we put new bushes in it and it stopped.

needs new tyres too, they have enough tread, but they are rock hard and slippery as hell in the wet.

I'm really looking forward to this.
relatively immediate plans are
service, and get it all checked out.
Lowered, (thinking just kings lows all round)
Golf MK1 Front lip.
rear tyres (fronts aren't awful)

then,
2.6, Jap manual
extractors,
Look into cams
look into carbys

At this stage, I want to keep it NA carby, not really after a super fast car, but enough to surprise people
llgc

Post by llgc »

Awesome buying mate, I saw it on gumtree and couldn't believe it was only $500!!!
You should post some interior pics it looked amazing in the ad
A112H

Post by A112H »

Rokinfreekapotamus wrote:true, there is a set like A112H's on ebay that i like the look of, I'd rather MMC ones, but i prefer the chrome to the big black boxy ones. I guess i could be converted though.
The mirrors in my signature are now on my A53 and the A112 has the correct GSII mirrors :P

ddt

Post by ddt »

Top buy!
Looks in great condition too.
I wonder what the history of the white painted roof is? Maybe a previous owner liked the look of the vinyl roof option?
It seems to be missing the left hand mirror though I'm pretty sure all SE models had both. Positioning of the rear badge and bonnet emblem look slightly different to usual. I'd check the chassis code -it may be an SE mock-up. Not that it would matter much anyway.

i agree with others comments -definitely love to see widened stockies on one of these..
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
smithdavidjames

Post by smithdavidjames »

Great to see another garage find to strengthen the GE ranks in NSW... Look out for those faded rear indicators my GE failed rego because of them, a couple of options on the cheap are orange globes or dismantle them and spray them with lens paint. SE models never had left hand mirrors you have get one from a GH which are still the same but if your going with the fender mirrors that will be cool anyway. The floaty feeling is fairly standard especially at speed but your plans to lower and replace bushes will help that loads. Wider tires are a must and have experienced some nasty close calls on the old 175/75/r13 little bit limited in the front (195 max if you stick with +28 offset but 0 offset would fix this) but there's plenty of room in the back. Main challenge with changing the gearbox is finding one the right length. One other thing to check is the rear parcel shelf, remove the rear louvre and have a look just under rear window it was the only place I had rust when I found mine in a garage (faded rear lights make me think the rear of the car might have been in the elements).

Looks like you have found a good one, treat her well!!

Dave
Rokinfreekapotamus

ddt wrote:Top buy!
Looks in great condition too.
I wonder what the history of the white painted roof is? Maybe a previous owner liked the look of the vinyl roof option?
Thanks!!
One of the first things I noticed was it was resprayed, so I asked him when it was done. He told me he had done it 15 years ago, and they (as above) like the look of the vinyl roof.

I took it to my mechanic today to get him to look over it and see what needs doing soon.

Needs:
Front Shocks
Brake lines are deteriorating
Rear Wheel cylinders are leaking, but brake shoes are fine
Doesn't need bushes but, I think I'll do them anyway. I want to put Kings lows in it, so I'll try doing it all at once.

smithdavidjames wrote: One other thing to check is the rear parcel shelf, remove the rear louvre and have a look just under rear window it was the only place I had rust when I found mine in a garage (faded rear lights make me think the rear of the car might have been in the elements).]
I'll drop it to a Panel Beater hopefully tomorrow and get them to have a look at the bit of rust which is around the bottom of the rear windscreen and see what they think. I'd like to do it myself, mainly for the learning curve, but I want it done right. ah the dilemma.

thanks for the kind words guys, I'll get a Photobucket up eventually and get a build thread up once I've decided on the path.
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

I've got some 13x9's that would suit this pretty well.
Can get them to Port Macquarie to save on postage as well....
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

Rokinfreekapotamus

77galantv6 wrote:I've got some 13x9's that would suit this pretty well.
Can get them to Port Macquarie to save on postage as well....
13x9?? thats huge, would they fit?
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

Amazingly cheap for a car that good looking, my god I paid £600 for mine with rust and no engine or box. That was a UK bargain :| But yours is so straight. look forward to seeing more of this!! :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
BSCGN9

Post by BSCGN9 »

Thats a great find I have been after a rego'd GE sedan cheap here in Adelaide for ages....when I have spare Bucks none around, when there is one fa sale no bucks!!

I would go for a larger dia tire/rim, maybe 15"rims. I find its getting harder to get 13" size low profile wide tyres (unless I am looking in wrong places...)

Cheers Bruce

ps. I have 205/60 13" on the back of my GE..
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

Another very nice GE! I'm so glad they are making a come back! When I first started this community, I was the only one with a GE Sigma in a sea of Scorpions, GH Sigmas and old Galants and Lancers... Keep it up mate and keep us posted!

By the way, I also picked up my current GE Sigma SE for $200 on Ebay back in 2011. It was a deceased estate, one owner car too!
Please click below to visit my blog dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.galant-sigma.com

Please click below to visit my cardomain website dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/293989

Astron Boy

Post by Astron Boy »

I swear I saw this exact car on Gumtree the other day...
Not there now.
Service Manuals for Astron & Saturn powered Cars
Available manuals: TM Magna/ GH, GN Sigma/ A51-GC Galant
lance

Post by lance »

Nice GE , Brings back memories, Of a GE ,SE same colour that took us from Melbourne to Bulla and back.
I was a 6ft passenger that sat in the back. Enjoyed that ride in that car so much that we went out and brought a GH , SE ,2.6auto
Our sigma goes down in my top 5 off cars I've owned. I loved every thing about it except its economy and the height of the roof ( head hit the roof lining )
Nice Car