LC Lancer hatch

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
BlueThunder

Re: LC Lancer hatch

Post by BlueThunder »

I had completly black rims under mine but now i have the original silver (as close to the original as possible) rims and i like this more. You really can distinguish the details of the rim now, much nicer like that in my opinion...

Cheers
Sven
ted

Post by ted »

MATT BLACK!!!!!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

77galantv6 came around today. Tried the sportmax rims on.
I like them.

But enough dreaming for now...
Here's where I'm at so far.
Matt black with polished rim lip (so the whole wheel isn't black) black nuts and still to be made small polished alloy centre that sits as close to the hub as possible.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

is it just me or is the paint on this thing mint???
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

astronturbo77 wrote:is it just me or is the paint on this thing mint???
I looks really good in photos, but the closer and longer you look the more you see wrong with it. The paint is much better then your average punter having a go, lccoop didn't do a bad job of it :thumpsup:

This car just needs more offset on the wheels to fill the guards out. That's why I'm looking at fitting the hustlers to it, in fact the guards are so big that I could fit 10 t0 15mm spacers in and they still wont stick out. None of the other wheels I have come close to filling out those guards :think:
I may end up deciding to go and buy some rims for it (but don't tell Mrs75wagon, ssshhh ;-) ).

I love the look of the sportmax rims on it :thumpsup:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Had an issue with this yesterday. It started and then died. After a couple of attempts to start it it just wouldn't start anymore.
After a bit of investigation it ended up being a slipped timing belt. It jumped 4 teeth on the cam gear.
I pulled it apart today and re-aligned everything. I also fitted a new wire to the distributor (as the old one was worn bare).
Gave it a points filing, re-gapped and re-timed it. Now it runs even better then before. (might be because I'm running 98 octane and tuned it on it?)
To be honest, I'm a little bit surprised. It performed very well for a Saturn and I'm surprised it had anymore at all?

Dave...
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Dave,

Is the LC running single or twin carbs?
1976 Galant Hardtop
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Nath76LA wrote:Is the LC running single or twin carbs?
A single down draught weber.
pistorf

Post by pistorf »

Looks sweet Dave :thumpsup:
The Toy Shop at Beresfield have some nice rims in stock. might be worth a drive.
webby

Post by webby »

I've heard some nasty things about The Toy Shop from people on Toymods that have dealt with them, to do with items being in worse condition than advertised and rude staff mostly.
Otomoto have some nice rims coming in soon as well, might be worth a look
http://www.otomoto.com.au/wheels/14used.htm
http://www.otomoto.com.au/wheels/15used.htm
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
pistorf

Post by pistorf »

I have dealt with the Toy Store in the past and found the staff to be more than helpful and friendly. I think the treatment that customers receive has a lot to do with their attitude.
We needed a 2JZ for a trial fit into my mates race boat,and the guys gave us one that was high mileage for zilch.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I'll have to go out to the Toyshop and have a look, It can't hurt to have a look. Thanks for the tip pistorf.
webby wrote:Otomoto have some nice rims coming in soon as well, might be worth a look
http://www.otomoto.com.au/wheels/14used.htm
http://www.otomoto.com.au/wheels/15used.htm
I like these

but at $800 for the set, I can buy brand new Sportmax XXR 15x7's for $780? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SPORTMAX-XXR-Whe ... 563f7406a3

I am starting to lean towards the idea of new rims. The problem is, I sort of think if I am going to spend any money on wheels, then it should be for the wagon. But I like the wheels on the wagon :think:
Time to work out what I want to do?

I suppose the best thing to do is do my homework, then make my decision. I'll stop in at Ozzy Tyres on the way home one day this week and see what I can get.
If I go new rims I want to go modern drift style in black to go with all the black on this car, something like Rota Grids? something like this but smaller, maybe 15x7's or 15x8's http://cgi.ebay.com.au/17X9-5-ROTA-GRID ... 4cf2e4d13c

If it was an LB with the chrome bumpers then things would be different.

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

OK, here's what's new.
Just picked these up from Sydney yesterday.
16x8 +10 offset Rota Grid Offroads.
I will have them on the car tomorrow, I just dropped them off at the tyre place this afternoon (yes one of the tyre places trades on a Sunday here). They were flat out and couldn't put them on today :(
Looks like I'll have to wait til lunch time tomorrow?

I wanted something that filled the guards. Looks like I've found them.

Just for a comparison shot. These are the same wheels, with the same offset (+10) on an LA sedan. This just proves how much bigger the guards are on a Lancer Hatch....

I'll put up pics of the rims on the Galant wagon tomorrow for those that are interested. I know I'm curious what it'll look like?

Dave...
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

On my white lancer with sigma struts and coil overs, the same rims sit about 10mm closer to struts than the stock silver lancer in that pic.
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

The wheels look good on the hatch dave. I wasn't sure if it would be to much having white wheels with the orange and black of the car but I don't think it looks to busy at all. Looking forward of seeing it with tyres as I'm sure you are as well.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Nath76LA wrote:Looking forward of seeing it with tyres as I'm sure you are as well.
I'm busting to get to drive it with them on.
I suppose then I'll have to work out how much I'll need a big hammer so the fronts clear everything? :P

I've never bought new rims for a car before, and was a bit nervous about it. I was scared that I'd stuffed up the measurements and they'd stick out to far to use.
The offset is just what I wanted.
The back still has plenty of room could even use a spacer or 3?

The white was a last minute choice. I was told these rims (this offset and stud pattern) aren't being brought into the country anymore. I don't know how true it is?
I was looking at a second hand bronze set. Then these ones came up on Ebay.
I bought them from Otomoto. There are still 3 sets left.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT

I also looked at these while I was there. They would have looked good, but I wanted modern looking rims.

Dave...
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Yeah bought mine from the same place with free postage to WA.
A112H

Post by A112H »

I like it Dave, looks sporty and modern but very clean.
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

I prefer the wheels that you bought.
1976 Galant Hardtop
webby

Post by webby »

Wheels look good, mind if I ask how much they cost you?
What size tyres?
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

webby wrote:Wheels look good, mind if I ask how much they cost you?
$800. I picked them up because I went to Sydney last night for a school reunion.
webby wrote:What size tyres?
205 45 16 Falkens.
Smithy wrote:Yeah bought mine from the same place with free postage to WA.
That's better deal then what I got. Oh well, you can't win them all?
I read your other post on how much you got tyres for. Looks like you've done better then me there too?

Thanks for the positive comments.
I was a little worried the white wouldn't look so good?
They are going to be a bugger to keep clean.
The front brakes on this car dust the wheels up really quickly. I might have to have a look at them to work out why?

They may end up going black anyway?

Dave...
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

I wasnt sure about them, and i never thought you would buy new ones, and modern looking.
But they look really good!
Dont go Black
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

i think they may look better black..
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

If they were Black with Chrome Lip, id agree, but all black will be too much black, with the tyres and Black roof.
Just my opinion but. :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Here's the pics with the tyres on

They don't rub at all :thumpsup:

To help those that are interested in fitting larger rims to their cars, and are unsure (like I was, about fitment)
Just a reminder these are 16x8's with +10 Offset.
That is a backspacing of 125mm from the inside of the hubface to the inner most edge of the rim.
There is a 19mm gap between the rim and the strut tower (this car is fitted with GH Sigma front struts, if that changes anything)
The outer face of the rim is 237mm from the strut (measuring from inside the rim whilst fitted)

I suppose I'll have to look at lowering it. It's got Pedders lowered springs in the front, and the rear is still original. Although I don't mind the way it sits.
The ride is harsher then with the 14x6's but the handling is noticeably improved.

Dave...
pistorf

Post by pistorf »

definately looks the goods Dave. :D
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

KEN OATH that looks shit hot dave

Love the mild stretch fit with the tyres , back needs to come down just to the top of the tyre
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

love it!

perfect selection dave, welcome to the 21st century haha

sorry i wasnt home this arvo, was out flogging pookies new car. a 2006 forester turbo.

will come round on the weekend maybe
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Thanks for the positive comments.
The look of the car is really growing on me. I really liked the look of Lancer Hatches before, but I have to admit, I keep finding myself standing at the back door looking at it :$

Little by little I'll chip away at this car and keep building on the look that the car has. The wheels were a major purchase, anything else I do to the car will seem quite minor after that I suppose?
My plan is to finish my house and then get stuck into this car.
I want to rub the car right back and fix any panel damage it has. Damage as in rust and minor straightening of panels.
I originally wanted to change the colour, but since I've put the wheels on it the colour looks better to me then ever :think:

Dave...
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

The wheels look really good Dave. Really suit the LC.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop