PROSSER'S 1976 GD WAGON

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
75wagon
Admin

Re: PROSSER'S 1976 GD WAGON

Post by 75wagon »

That first one is an Astron not a Saturn.

Bottom one looks good, run with that.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

:o My bad :$
PROSSER

Post by PROSSER »

Well abit of an update........

On the weekend I gave the old girl a new fuel pump, oil change, new air filter, plugs and leads, new thermostat, 150watt high beam globes and radiator flushed, replaced RH tail light.
I have on order a manual conversion kit that I should have by the end of the month.

heres some pics!! o i love random pics I believe the site needs more photos!!

RANDOM PHOTOS

NEW FUEL PUMP(THANKS FOR FINDING ME THIS ONE FOR $40 DAVE)

OLD FUEL PUMP

DIFFERENCE IN PUMPS

NEW TAIL LIGHT

OLD THERMOSTAT
Samual
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

PROSSER wrote:NEW FUEL PUMP(THANKS FOR FINDING ME THIS ONE FOR $40 DAVE)
No probs mate, was too easy.
PROSSER wrote:I have on order a manual conversion kit that I should have by the end of the month.
This sounds promising?
What sort of console are you planning on running in it (a manual will need something different to what you've got, unless you modify it)?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

I had never noticed before that they were different Dave, just had a look at the pics and was suprised to see that they are. My hardtop was an auto but uses the same console as the manual but has a clock.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I could be wrong, but it seems only the GD autos had this console?
My old GB had a little one. I have one I could take pics of if you really needed to see it, but I'd have to get up in the roof of my garage to find it (not keen)...

Dave...
A112H

Post by A112H »

Nah, thats cool mate. Maybe the GC's shared a console or maybe it was just the hardtops? I just thought it was interesting is all :P
PROSSER

Post by PROSSER »

more then likely lookto modify for now until i get a manual console. Im just wondering how easy the manual gear box will mount because of such a wide tunnel. then fitting the manual pedals is the next step because there is really notmuch rooom there for them by the looks of it.
Samual
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Looking good Sam!

Fitting the Box will be great with the bigger tunnel, lots of room.
But that is a good point, does the stock clutch assembly bolt in and operate no worries when you fit it in next to the Auto tunnel?
PROSSER

Post by PROSSER »

So Ive been having problems with the galant overheating so I done some searching and this is what ive done so far.

I flushed the radiator and engine cooling system and three of the whelsh plugs because they were corroded one more then the other two.

And after replacing them I am still having problems with the engine overheating so I am replacing the head gasket right at this moment If that doesn't solve the problem Ill ask you guys for any ideas.
Samual
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Other reasons for over heating:
- stuffed radiator core
- stuffed thermostat
- leaks in the cooling system
- stuffed water pump (or leaking one)

What are you plans for this car? Are you going to do it up or just drive it?

Note, 2 days in a row, I haven't been able to post the head bolt, I'll try again tomorrow (had to pick my daughter up yesterday, and help a bloke from work today that broke down).

Dave...
PROSSER

Post by PROSSER »

75wagon wrote:Other reasons for over heating:
- stuffed radiator core
- stuffed thermostat
- leaks in the cooling system
- stuffed water pump (or leaking one)

What are you plans for this car? Are you going to do it up or just drive it?

Note, 2 days in a row, I haven't been able to post the head bolt, I'll try again tomorrow (had to pick my daughter up yesterday, and help a bloke from work today that broke down).

Dave...
The radiator core seems to be fine, its a brand new thermostat, I fixed the only leak in the system which was the whelch plugs, now the water pump ill let you know when the engine is back together.

Im planning on a respray unsure of colour I like green but like the look of burnt orange or purple with glitter through too as in that bmw colour you showed me so ill throw around the options until I get the money for the paint job. other then that im looking around for new front and rear bumpers, probably upgrade carbie, and tidy up interior with a set of recaro front seats and new carpet.
Samual
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Silly question BUT do you have aircon?

The external radiator (condenser) fins can sometimes be stuffed and not allow enough air through.

Had this problem with my sigma, it actually looked fine but when I removed it, no more overheating at all.

Cheers.
PROSSER

Post by PROSSER »

I don't have air con in the galant but I'm considering an aftermarket radiator just unsure of that possibility whether after market ones are available.
Samual
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

PROSSER wrote:I don't have air con in the galant but I'm considering an aftermarket radiator just unsure of that possibility whether after market ones are available.
man im pretty sure you can get another models car alloy rad and it might fit?like on a sigma people put nissan sr20det alloy rads and they fit??just a thought. :\
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
PROSSER

Post by PROSSER »

yeah I've been considering going that path to. I just got to see the different sizes and how they will fit in the engine bay.

I also Received my gasket set in the mail. so ill be replacing gaskets as I put the engine back together.

and a pic of the old girl today.
Samual
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Head bolt is in the mail, so you'll be able to complete your head gasket exchange :thumpsup:
Hurry up and get it done and come on the next cruise.
PROSSER wrote:I'm considering an aftermarket radiator just unsure of that possibility whether after market ones are available.
I have radiators for autos here Sam if you need one. In good nick too.
PROSSER wrote:other then that im looking around for new front and rear bumpers
H'mm good luck with that. They come up from time to time though? You may have to buy a whole car just to get them?
PROSSER wrote:probably upgrade carbie
Would you consider twins like on mine? They seem to come up reasonably often. I had a set on my old GB with an auto up behind it. It worked very well, all I had to do was mod the kick down cable to the gearbox. Easy :thumpsup:

Dave...
PROSSER

Post by PROSSER »

75wagon wrote:Head bolt is in the mail, so you'll be able to complete your head gasket exchange :thumpsup:
Hurry up and get it done and come on the next cruise.

PROSSER wrote:I'm considering an aftermarket radiator just unsure of that possibility whether after market ones are available.

I have radiators for autos here Sam if you need one. In good nick too.

PROSSER wrote:other then that im looking around for new front and rear bumpers

H'mm good luck with that. They come up from time to time though? You may have to buy a whole car just to get them?

PROSSER wrote:probably upgrade carbie

Would you consider twins like on mine? They seem to come up reasonably often. I had a set on my old GB with an auto up behind it. It worked very well, all I had to do was mod the kick down cable to the gearbox. Easy :thumpsup:

Dave...
As soon as the head bolt is in i will be getting the pinkslip done and reregoed. Then I will cruise on up to Newcastle for a test drive to see if she over heats :thumpsup:

I'm pretty certain the radiator is fine but if it isnt ill purchase one from you dave.

and Im defiantly looking dual carbie and sports exhaust I've been told that I shouldnt bother with the exhaust unless it was a manual but its almost due for a new exhaust so it wont hurt to be spruced up abit.

The bumpers are a long term goal Im not to fussed right now but when the old girl is nearing completing it will defiantly need to be done.
Samual
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

PROSSER wrote:I've been told that I shouldnt bother with the exhaust unless it was a manual
Just don't make it droney...
Most people have a problem with a loud sports system on an auto. Just keep the dbs down to a reasonable level and it will be fine.
Or I have that manual conversion here?
Now the project car I had doesn't exist, and the fact that I'm not allowed to spend any money buying another, it looks like I won't need it :(
I have everything you need to convert it to manual. And being realistic, I need some space back in my shed. I have way too much crap here, (eg: I think I have 9 spare radiators, that's about 7 or 8 too many)

Dave...
77GDWAGON

Post by 77GDWAGON »

PROSSER wrote:So Ive been having problems with the galant overheating so I done some searching and this is what ive done so far.

I flushed the radiator and engine cooling system and three of the whelsh plugs because they were corroded one more then the other two.

And after replacing them I am still having problems with the engine overheating so I am replacing the head gasket right at this moment If that doesn't solve the problem Ill ask you guys for any ideas.

I hope you cleaned all that gunk out of the block before you put in the new welch plugs. Undo the 14mm bolt just under the plugs as this is the drain plug for the block and give it a good flush.
As 75wagon said check your water pump.I am guessing that the impellar blades have corroded away
1977 GD GALANT station wagon owned since 1988
PROSSER

Post by PROSSER »

I would love to buy the manual conversion but wouldn't have a clue what to do to install it :facepalm: .

and 77GDWAGON I flushed the whole water system and very much considering the water pump idea but doing the head gasket at the moment first just to get it back on the road enough for rego.
Samual
PROSSER

Post by PROSSER »

So since the stripped head bolt that's stuck in the head isn't budging I decided to get started on rust repairs here are some photos of what Ive started.

The actual drainage points were full of dirt and leaves.

And I got given two things from my dad to spruce the car up abit when I get her running again.
Samual
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Have fun putting that central locking kit and electric antenna in it.
The antenna took me 4 hours to fit to get it perfectly vertical.
The central was interesting. The shafts for the mechanisms are fatter then that of a modern car. I had to grind flats to make them small enough to fit (the good thing is that means they wont slip). Wait till you have a go at putting it in the back doors :P Fun, Fun Fun.

That rust isn't too bad. Get onto rare spares and get rust replacements, they are still available.

Dave...
A112H

Post by A112H »

That rust isn't too bad. Get onto rare spares and get rust replacements, they are still available.
I could only find a left hand panel at Rare Spares, I do still need the right hand side if anyone has a part number?
PROSSER

Post by PROSSER »

Yeah should be interesting wiring them in I'm going to do the aerial first and leave the central locking to a later date. I started a little bit on the rust today the plan at the moment is to just get the rust under control for the time being the do major repairs when I have more time to get stuck in and do it.

here's what I'm talking about rust removal and prevention of further rust forming.

before-

and after-
Samual
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

PROSSER wrote:Yeah should be interesting wiring them in
The wiring is easy. It's the fitting of the solenoids and the rods to make them work that's the hard part.

Don't lose interest in this Sam. Once you start you can't stop till you finish.
The progress so far looks good, but you haven't even scratched the surface yet.
Galant_GTO wrote:I could only find a left hand panel at Rare Spares, I do still need the right hand side if anyone has a part number?
http://www.rarespares.net.au/pricelists ... HI&car=36A
By the look of that page, my guess is RP412

Dave...
PROSSER

Post by PROSSER »

Today Ive just continued on tidying up the rust around the galant-

Heres a good example of what ive done.
before

after
Samual
PROSSER

Post by PROSSER »

Well no real news of late other then I have the new water pump ready to go on and I got some new stickers for the car.

I brought a J.A.F sticker and a JDM punched out kitty for the back window the punched out kitty is just for a laugh as all the drifters have them on there windows.
Samual
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Nothing like stickers :thumpsup:
How did you go with the headgasket? And, Have you put the tailgate hinge spring on it yet so it doesn't sag anymore?

Dave...
PROSSER

Post by PROSSER »

ok so today first time in a long time I was able to work on the wagon the old head gasket is off and also a new water pump is installed just the head itself is pitted around the valves so I'm going to look at either getting it repaired because it isn't to bad or buying a new head.
Samual