My 1984 GV Sigma SE

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
H8DAG8

My 1984 GV Sigma SE

Post by H8DAG8 »

Thought I'd post some pic's up taken throughout my panel and paint (and everything else)

Reason for the P&P was due to rust becoming a major, and paint peeling off just by looking at it too hard.

There are 51 pics so if you're on a slow internet connection maybe click Back or go grab a beer :banh:

Enjoy.

====================
UPDATED PICS: under bonnet re-spray, under boot re-spray (underseal), blacked out grill (to make the red diamonds pop and kept chrome surround to make the black pop too ;) ).
===================

Last edited by H8DAG8 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
GC75
Admin

Re: My 1984 G? Sigma SE Panel&Paint Mission

Post by GC75 »

nice post man, car looks the goods :thumpsup:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Yep, nice job.

I'm still not sure if I like the grill on that model :think:

The way it sits, the wheels and the paint scheme all work together well :thumpsup:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

Effort........ :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
webby

Post by webby »

Looks good man :thumpsup:
A set of Equip 03's like the ones on that red hachi would make it awesome though :D
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Cheers guys.

What red hatchy mate?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

H8DAG8 wrote: What red hatchy mate?
I think webby means the Celica Supra?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Oh...yup that's pretty much the sorta rim i'm after.
Just trying to find a set for the right price ;) :google:
webby

Post by webby »

Yeah, I meant the XX :$
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

I wholeheartedly approve of this thread :thumpsup:
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
ddt

Post by ddt »

whoa- looks fantastic! really love those rims/tyres/stance. props for sticking with factory paint scheme -looks sweet.
I'm still not sure if I like the grill on that model
hmm.. me too but might be because I'm unfamilar with it?
If you black out the rear insert it looks a little like the GH sigma turbo grill

or if you paint the rear insert the same as body colour then it looks different again.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

very nice indeed bro,come up NICE..
is that a series six RX7?
LOVE THAT GOLF CART..LOL
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Cheers guys. Glad to see you like.
And yes, liked the original colors so much thought why mess with them?

Haha cheers bro yea golf carts pretty sik.
Yea sure is.

====================
UPDATED PICS: under bonnet re-spray, under boot re-spray (underseal), blacked out grill (to make the 3 red diamonds pop ;) and kept chrome surround to make the black pop).
===================

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The grille looks heaps better painted like that :thumpsup:

Dave...
1979GE

Post by 1979GE »

Thats one sweet looking sigma :-) apart from the rims it looks like she just rolled off the production line!! awesome job!i love the import sigma grill and chrom bumper garnishes!
ddt

Post by ddt »

yep that's hawwt. How long have you had this car for?
Just looking at 1884's SE the other day- he has the underbonnet sound deadening and also something similar along the whole firewall. Did the NZ SE models not get that (perhaps later models)?
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

75wagon wrote:The grille looks heaps better painted like that :thumpsup:
Cheers man, i think so too. Definitely different!
1979GE wrote:Thats one sweet looking sigma :-) apart from the rims it looks like she just rolled off the production line!! awesome job!i love the import sigma grill and chrom bumper garnishes!
Thanks! Yea sure does doesn't it. Although my painters said that in the system it only came up silver, and that the car has had a respray before to put the blue on. I always thought Sigma's came out 2-tone but the painter's reckon they didn't and that the original owner's got it sprayed soon after buying it.
ddt wrote:yep that's hawwt. How long have you had this car for?
Just looking at 1884's SE the other day- he has the underbonnet sound deadening and also something similar along the whole firewall. Did the NZ SE models not get that (perhaps later models)?
Haha cheers, ah I've had it for coming up 2 years i think! Not sure about the sound and heat protection under the bonnet and on the firewall, it could have very well come out with that but I'm pretty sure the car came silver and the original owners (the people I bought it off) had the thing resprayed keeping the silver on the bottom and going blue on top as soon as they bought it, including engine bay, door jams, EVERYTHING to make it look like it came out like that so if there was that stuff on there it would have been ripped off for the respray.

I know my old man's folks had their brand new Sigma resprayed from a single color to a brown and silver 2-tone as soon as they bought it - it was the "in" thing back then too apparently :thumpsup:
woops

Post by woops »

I'm pretty sure that the super saloon GJ or GK sigma actually came out as a two tone colour the same as yours here in aus so it may have been a genuine pattern or just made to look that way later on.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

GLANT

Post by GLANT »

really like the chrome bars....what / where from??

CAAR looks great mate....still think its a gj like mine!
woops

Post by woops »

GLANT wrote:really like the chrome bars....what / where from??

Funny you mention about the model designation. I actually found some info about the NZ market Mitsubishi's from as early as the 1917 Model A to the various 1983 models. The Sigma's over there have very different model designations to the australian ones. They were also made over here but assembled over in NZ to avoid import taxes. I also found an image with the two tone paint and also them indicating about the chrome bumper mouldings. I think the info might actually deserve a separate thread and i'll just make a link to it later. Also I found in the parts manual that the NZ market has very few emissions equipment compared to our models over here.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

GLANT wrote:really like the chrome bars....what / where from??

Thanks :), chrome bars? What do you mean by that exactly? Havn't heard the term chrome bars before :)
woops wrote:Funny you mention about the model designation. I actually found some info about the NZ market Mitsubishi's from as early as the 1917 Model A to the various 1983 models. The Sigma's over there have very different model designations to the australian ones. They were also made over here but assembled over in NZ to avoid import taxes. I also found an image with the two tone paint and also them indicating about the chrome bumper mouldings. I think the info might actually deserve a separate thread and i'll just make a link to it later. Also I found in the parts manual that the NZ market has very few emissions equipment compared to our models over here.

Yea I'm sure they are a LOT different over there. Must be why there's all this confusion as to what model exactly it is that I have.
On my firewall the chassis num starts with GV, so I'm guessing that over here my model is recognised as a "GV" model?? Is that equivilent to a GJ for you guys?

As for the 2-tone paint, my car was definitely a single color (silver) when it rolled off the line I now know~!
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

Thanks :), chrome bars? What do you mean by that exactly? Havn't heard the term chrome bars before :)
the things on front and rear of cars,........ ahhh??? bumper bars maybe????
mines has only has black plastic ones where yours has chrome and black plastic.......
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Oh just "bumpers" here haha.
Yea I just assumed they came on mine? Mine's the SE model, assumed that's the "top" spec/class one with all the trimmings incl. the chrome everywhere lol
Last edited by H8DAG8 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woops

Post by woops »

Yeah that chrome trim on the top on the bumper appears to be a NZ only feature. It appears as though the NZ vehicles have a different series start every year unlike the aussie model sigma's. Thats where the GV designation comes from rather than our gk code style.
webby

Post by webby »

Look on the firewall directly behind the engine, there should be a number stamped/engraved there. "A16xx" or similar. That's a Jap-market model designation, so you should be able to work out what the AusDM equivalent is from there.
That only holds true if your car is an import though, if it was locally assembled then the number might not be there.
-Josh.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

webby wrote:Look on the firewall directly behind the engine, there should be a number stamped/engraved there. "A16xx" or similar. That's a Jap-market model designation, so you should be able to work out what the AusDM equivalent is from there.
That only holds true if your car is an import though, if it was locally assembled then the number might not be there.
Yea that's the number that starts with GV. Pretty sure it isn't an import.
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

VERY VERY VERY VERY NICE!
GV is my favourite now haha :thumpsup:
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

TVM006 wrote:VERY VERY VERY VERY NICE!
GV is my favourite now haha :thumpsup:
Lol cheers mate. Yea still in debate whether or not GV is a real model or not and why no one else has heard of it! :banh:
webby

Post by webby »

Because you're asking on an Australian forum about an NZ-specific model? :P
Different countries had different model designations. For example, what we call a GE Sigma over here would be known as an A12#x in Japan, a YC in NZ etc.
'84 would be equivalent to our GK, but we never got the 4G63 in Sigmas. So I daresay that GV is the NZ-specific model designation for the A16#x model series, much like GJ-GK is ours.
-Josh.