[SA] SMASA Show and Shine - Feb 11th & 13th

All Sigma-Galant.com Events will be located here, along with pictures/videos and details for upcoming Events.
GB_BB4C

[SA] SMASA Show and Shine - Feb 11th & 13th

Post by GB_BB4C »

Street Machine Association Of South Australia 30th Annual Show and Shine

Cruise:
Meet 6.30pm, Autopro, Clovercrest, Friday 11th Feb

Show:
Regency Park Oval, South Rd, Regency Park. Sunday 13th Feb
10am till 4pm. Spectator's $5, under 14 FREE.
Last edited by GB_BB4C on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

kenvv

Re: [SA] SMASA Show and Shine - Feb 12th & 13th

Post by kenvv »

such a shame with adelaide cruises at the moment after what happened on the 27th. to scared to take cars out for a leasurely drive
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

What happened on the 27th??
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

apparently sapol went through that cruise and defected a whole lot of cars. my mrs said they showed it on the news also. even cars that were totally certified and had them with them with older drivers were getting defected. my mate said there was a vl show car there that the guy hadnt driven in years and was on a permit one day rego or race rego or something so he couldnt be defected, and they didnt care and still did him for it anyway. so frustrating. especially when they are obviously not hoons as most of them were not young guys in their jap cars like normally get targeted.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah, thats a shame. I bet it was the motorbike cops, they are the worst. I had my VR4 in the first All Japan Day down at Glenelg and the 3 or 4 old Motorbike cops were just walking around the car park defecting parked cars. Nothing better to do and a way to raise money is the only reason I can see. I get if they show up in Mallala after a drift meeting because lots of the guys drive out of there like they think they are on the track. I get defecting smoking cars, rusty cars, crashed up cars and even cars with lights not working, but just walking around defecting people because you can is a front bum act and they wonder why people hate them.
Last week I was in a petrol station parked next to a copper, a few pumps over there were 3 harleys that started up and were about to leave. I stood staring at the copper with my fingers in my ears at all the noise these pump motors were making, he looked at me, looked at them and then just looked down at his car pumping fuel in. I have had nice well done up cars defected for making half the noise these crap excuse for motorbikes make, the cops are just bloody cowards.

:blah: :blah: :blah:
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

yeh agreed. having a defectable car you run that risk knowing its like that. but for people who follow the book and modify within the laws that still get defected because the cops dont know their own laws is a pain in the arse. there are to many laws for them to learn anyway and they change so often it is impossible on their behalf but still angers me. thats why im to scared to use fender mirrors as it would be to hard convincing a cop some models came out standard with them. then get defected which makes the whole car ruined in my case. used to go to all the jap car cruises with mates and some were handled well by police and some not. recent nissansilvia cruises havent been to bad as they invite police to attend and gladly defect cars doing burnouts or speeding but say if we invite you dont show up defecting every car just because your tools. otherwise we will host them at night without your knowledge. seems to work lately but still its like rnning the gauntlet
vrooooom vrooooom!!
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

I went to Jaf's end of year cruise on the 27th. Yes motorbike cop's and a couple of car's were all present for the cruise. I know of them defecting 3 car's. A VR HSV that was done on the way down to West Lake's and told to go home (if you saw the car you would understand, very clean and tidy, but the stuff that's in it), a Brougham that had been made into a 2 door and chopped the roof off, and MR VL Turbo, some of you may have seen this car. Yes it is a show car, candy apple red paint, 20" GOLD plated rim's, NOS...... and a whole list of other shit done to it (let's just say the numbers dont match up on the car). After the incident that happened after the sticker got put on the VL, the cop's didnt hang for much longer defecting. They sat out on the road waiting for people peeling out of the shopping centre.

SMASA have a good repore with the Hoon Taskforce. For all there cruises, the cruise route is given to the police station of that area we will be going through. I have taken the GK Turbo on many of their cruises with no hassle.
Notice how RCK, MCK, ACC are no longer around. They have been shut down coz all they were doing was making it harder for the club's that were doing the right thing by going out and running a muck. Dragging off at every set of light's possible, burnout's anywhere and everywhere.... the list goes on.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

kenvv

Post by kenvv »

yeh i understand what ya saying. it just pisses me off sometimes. my car will be quite modified when done. i know i drive it knwoing it has illegal parts but for people that dont drive like tools it sucks. not built purely for racing. just like to have power when i want it. i know of those cars plus an xb coupe (or xa or something) i think got defected too. was told it had v8 with massive turbo and whatnot and got defected. but went straight to regency and they got a special inspector in as it had so many mods but he approved them all. sucks to waste somebodys time and money to get a car approved that is legal already
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

I think one of the benefits of our particular cars is that no one is really sure what they had and what they didn't.
My hardtop will be engineered for every mod I am doing but that won't stop them defecting it if they feel that way inclined. The thing that would annoy me is that I would be expected to pay for the inspection even if it is legal and the copper was wrong in defecting it. Maybe they might pull their heads in if they were forced to pay for the inspection of wrongfully defected vehicles?
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

that will never happen as you would have to prove you hadnt made it legal after the defect and prior to inspection
vrooooom vrooooom!!
trainzkid88

Re: [SA] SMASA Show and Shine - Feb 11th & 13th

Post by trainzkid88 »

yes it is crazy the federal government sets the adr aust design rules but because they are legally listed not as a rule but a guideline as far as i know the states can and make their own interpretation and for instance a street/strip car that is more the strip side of things can be registerd in wa or sa but not in Queensland or nsw we live in a police state not a free country even freedom of speech is not as free as it was just ask john laws. especially in Queensland some coppers wound't have a clue what they are looking at or all of the rules or just want to be a mob of wankers and make it hard for those that do the right thing.

that said i hate to have a coppers job.

hang with thieves get called a thief, hang with hoons get labled as a hoon

their was talk off a national mod code but as yet nothing is off the ground the states are to busy making money hand over fist and dont want to stop rakin it in.
this car is all motor real motors don't need forced induction or nitrous and there's no substitute for cubes.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

It's on tomorrow. 180 car's already pre-entered plus what ever enter's on the day.

A112H

Post by A112H »

See you about 1 :)
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Did anyone end up going?? Was a good turnout of car's. Had the GK Sigma and GB Galant there as part of the SMASA display.
I got a trophy for the Sigma GK Turbo
Top Sedan 79-89 1st Place

A112H

Post by A112H »

I was there for about 20mins before we had to go, my son was pretty sick.
I did have a quick look around and seemed like a pretty good day.
Congratulations on the win mate :thumpsup:
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

OK Kinda off topic here, but I figured this may be the best spot for an answer as its an SA / SMASA related question:

Has anyone investigated Historic Rego for the Galants? I was thinking of potential for historic rego, but have questions around the legality of the cars. Now I know they comply with the age requirement, and I've read the code of conduct published by the DTEI but I was wondering if the following modifications would be allowable under the guidelines:
Sigma front struts,
sigma rear diff
4G32 with side draft webber and extractors
15" wheels

My questions I guess are directed at the thread starter as you seem to have some affiliation with SMASA (member?)

Cheers
Lee
greybeard

Post by greybeard »

http://www.sa.gov.au/upload/franchise/T ... storic.pdf

Here`s a copy of SA Historic reg rules - and no you would`nt be eligible with the carbs, extractors and wheels

gb
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Yep, read through the rules and I can probably understand 15" wheels as this was not realistic at the time. what about 14" superlites (which are copy of a period specific Wantanabe).

As for carby & extractors - if they are period specific and what could be considered optional at the time (and pretty much anything could be dealer fitted in those days) why would they not be allowed? I realise that the twin down draft Mikuni were an option of the model at the time, so would twin down draft webers be an acceptable replacement?

I understand historic is for allowing discounted registration of vehicles that are representing historic periods of motoring, but why are no upgrades applicable in the period allowed?
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Also,
if this applies to a coupe, where the GSII was available in Japan with a 2000 Astron engine, should this not be applicable as an option for historic? i.e. if I were to make a GSII replica out of an ADM coupe, with a 2000 astron with 5sp manual, is this acceptable? and again, it comes down to carbys available in Japan at the time, yes?

I dont want to break the rules here, but if creating an era-correct car I just cant understand why it wouldnt be applicable. There are pleny of 350 Monaro and GT Falcon replica's which are on historic, as they are built to be era-correct.. not what they left the factory with.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

My GB Galant is on historic rego and has extractors.
From my understanding of the Historic rule's. You can have what ever it could have left the factory with.
eg: if you have a GB Galant with a 1400 auto you can change it to a 1600 manual.

Best thing to do is to go to one of the SMASA meeting's and speak to the Historic Rego person and he can explain it all to you. You have to join a club that will do historic rego eg: SMASA, Chrysler car club of SA.... They will inspect the vehicle, has to be in your name, take photo's (that way if you get inspected with standard rim's and get pulled over with mag's that aren't period correct and get done for it SMASA (or whoever) have something to fall back on)

Their next meeting is on Monday 21st Feb, 7.30pm, Shannon's Insurance, South Rd, Clarence Gardens.

Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Do you know who is answering questions re: Historic Rego at the Moment?
I know both Gary Watson & Sean Johnson via the Falcon GT Club (was a member for 10 years) and I've been told Sean is filling in for Gary at the moment? Is this correct?
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Would not have a clue at the moment who is doing Historic Rego.
http://www.smasa.com.au/ ring the SMASA hotline and find out. Will probably tell you to come to a meeting though to find out more.

Pic's of the car's and the trophy.

greybeard

Post by greybeard »

Re the 1400 / 1600, extractors etc. the following excerpt from the code may help:

" Engine
The engine must be of the size, make and configuration as provided by the OEM or an
engine that was available to that make, model and year of manufacture. Inlet and
exhaust manifolds, carburation, air cleaner, camshaft and heads to be as originally
supplied by the OEM or available as an option. Variations are limited to OEM
reconditioning tolerances. Crankshaft stroke must remain standard for the model and
year of the vehicle."

No doubt there have been, and will be, many interpretations of this clause - maybe this is worthy of another thread ??

gb
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Congrats on the trophy, looks like a deserved win with a very clean Sigma there.

As for another thread, yep, may be worth while. I guess my best bet is to contact SMASA direct and will post up any resulting discussions.
Finally, I'll probably be running a completely stock saturn 1600 & 4sp initially, with stock wheels/hub caps - but was wondering about future directions for the car (H)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Hotwire wrote:I'll probably be running a completely stock saturn 1600 & 4sp initially, with stock wheels/hub caps
To my knowledge hardtops came with 5 speeds? I would run one in it anyway.
Hotwire wrote:but was wondering about future directions for the car (H)
Why not chase up a set to the twin down draught Mukini's for it?
Have a look here at what the hardtops looked like and were featured with.
Original Brochures for GALANTS (GA/GB/GC/GD ONLY)

Just a curious question on this topic? As all hardtops were imported, how much comes into play about the ADM features?

If the Vintage rego is so limiting to you, for what you can do to the car, is it worth it? For me if you're not going to end up with a car you want to own, then what's the point?
Why not just build the car you want and put it on normal rego? That is what I have done with my GC Galant Wagon, I have it insured with Shannons under a vintage car insurance policy which is insured to be driven a couple of times a month. That way I'm not limited where I can drive it, only how often. And I don't have to do a minimum number of club runs to keep my club plates.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

Engine
The engine must be of the size, make and configuration as provided by the OEM or an
engine that was available to that make, model and year of manufacture. Inlet and
exhaust manifolds, carburation, air cleaner, camshaft and heads to be as originally
supplied by the OEM or available as an option. Variations are limited to OEM
reconditioning tolerances. Crankshaft stroke must remain standard for the model and
year of the vehicle."
I would read that as hardtops being allowed to have 1850 and 2000 Astrons as they were OEM fitted. As the hardtops were full imports (not assembled here like sedans and wagons) then OEM would mean Mitsubishi Japan.
where the GSII was available in Japan with a 2000 Astron engine, should this not be applicable as an option for historic? i.e. if I were to make a GSII replica out of an ADM coupe, with a 2000 astron with 5sp manual, is this acceptable? and again, it comes down to carbys available in Japan at the time, yes?
When finished mine will be a GSII replica, it will have correct OEM fender mirrors, correct OEM tail lights and a 2.0 (okay it won't be the correct engine but it will be the correct displacement, lol) and I will be attempting to insure it as a GSII but have no intention of gaining historic rego.

I think if you went for a 4G51 or 52, twin down draughts, extractors and 5 speed I think you will be fine. There are enough brochures on this site you could print to prove it was all an OEM option
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

75wagon wrote:
Hotwire wrote:I'll probably be running a completely stock saturn 1600 & 4sp initially, with stock wheels/hub caps
To my knowledge hardtops came with 5 speeds? I would run one in it anyway.
Hotwire wrote:but was wondering about future directions for the car (H)
Why not chase up a set to the twin down draught Mukini's for it?
Have a look here at what the hardtops looked like and were featured with.
Original Brochures for GALANTS (GA/GB/GC/GD ONLY)

Just a curious question on this topic? As all hardtops were imported, how much comes into play about the ADM features?
I think the twin down drafts is not a bad option - something I will keep an eye out for a set. As for all hardtops having a 5sp, they may have but the sedan I posted a few weeks back would be the donor for running gear for a while until I can sort new mechanicals.
75wagon wrote:
If the Vintage rego is so limiting to you, for what you can do to the car, is it worth it? For me if you're not going to end up with a car you want to own, then what's the point?
Why not just build the car you want and put it on normal rego? That is what I have done with my GC Galant Wagon, I have it insured with Shannons under a vintage car insurance policy which is insured to be driven a couple of times a month. That way I'm not limited where I can drive it, only how often. And I don't have to do a minimum number of club runs to keep my club plates.

Dave...
The beauty of SA Historic Rego is that you are only limited to 90 days usage per year (almost twice a week) and it doesnt need to be a club event. You can drive it any time as long as the log book is filled out with your destination. (H)
The difference in rego is $750 per year or $125, well worth is and helps in justifying ownership of the car to my wife.

And as for which direction I want to take the car, I want to make it reasonably period correct (either side draft or down draft carbys) with engine close to the period. I guess at this point im not looking for a ball tearer, but a classic car with a bit of poke. Therefore a 4G51 with twin down drafts and extractors would fit the bill nicely I think, period correct but still enough to have fun with. My initial question on the diff/struts is because that is what the shell is equipped with at present