TRIM THE FAT - keep it simple

Have a suggestion? Post it here!
TR11KY

TRIM THE FAT - keep it simple

Post by TR11KY »

As a long time user of SG let me first say you guys have done well. Gorn are the days of hackers smashing the site, bigtime spamming and general virus contracting off the site. Now it's clean and well maintained, super reliable. Im impressed. The donation tool and top ten donaters is awesome! Chatroom is ok, though im not a huge fan as we dont have the site traffic.

That said i have some constructive suggestions for you all to take on board. Overall i find the site too confusing, there is so many areas and hidey holes for info it's impossible to know where to go so i find im already using the view my posts tool. Based on the current format i believe there's little incentive for users to keep coming back using the forum.

Keep it simple nasty for best success in my experience running forums:
*Site based announcements are giving me the royal sh*ts. May i suggest an area on the board index devoted to site notices, site feedback, guides to picture posting, video posting etc. This would free up space each time we open a thread section and remove confusion. It should perhaps be part of meet n greet first area so people see rules straight away!
*we need a picture upload function enabling us to upload and auto shrink our pics to web view size 640x480. If you had this tool i guarantee a lift in active users as many of us will quickly be able to share progress pics etc. This tool is great but the spam has to be monitored carefully.
*Have a meet n greet section rather than current setup. Have the introductions section, members rides, cruises and events, general chat off topic and mitsubishi related chat. This would become the high traffic area and it will provide a welcoming feel where new users can get in and check us all out.
*Keep the model based sections and assign a dedicated mod to each section to keep it clean and sticky the key threads as appropriate
*Tech areas like
engine should have subforums for efi (i like that you guys did it already), subforums for n/a performance mods, and turbo conversions. All other threads in core engine area.
drivetrain should have sub forum for diff conversions, gearbox conversions and the rest of the threads stay in core drivetrain area.
etc etc
by streamlining these areas you can quickly find the area and the threads to get the info you want or start the discussion if you cant.
*For sale has long been a big attractor to this forum. If it keeps flowing great dont touch it. For sale and wanted areas are great, if we get shops or suppliers give them sub forums in for sale.
* social stuff and other odds n sods. If its low use, ditch it to keep it simple. Back in the day people used forums to socially interact, now its facebook so leave facebook and spam to facebook. Keep this site a dedicated resource site filled with the tech info we all come here for.

I mean all of this as suggestions guys and if the admin/owners/mods decide to take it on thats great. If not all good i will use it regardless.
I humbly thank everyone involved for their hard work and look forward to ramping up my contributions as my builds come to light... :thumpsup:
Factory Sigma Turbo #445 - TR11KY
220rwkw @ 15psi daily driver/project

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
sceneybr

Re: TRIM THE FAT - keep it simple

Post by sceneybr »

I agree with a lot you said i found it hard to find info alot even though it starring right at me. i think ultimately it a great forum site just needs to be simplified a bit.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

Im currently looking at ways to simplify it im glad you mentioned it.
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

cheers man as i said it's a great site and i'm happy to contribute regardless :)
Factory Sigma Turbo #445 - TR11KY
220rwkw @ 15psi daily driver/project

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

these suggestions could do with some more input i rekon?? :thumpsup:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

I agree, it needs to be simplified. Engine section, galant section and sigma section all see posts regarding astrons for example. I personally would rather see it simplified down to be
  • Engine
  • Transmission/Drivetrain
  • Suspension/Brakes/Wheels
  • Panel/Paint Shop
  • Electrical/Audio
  • Interior/Exterior
Remove each vehicle specific sub section (as the heading gives good hint at what cars we are here for).
Also, either have one Tutorial section for ALL guides (i.e. Guides/Writeups sub section) OR sticky them in the relevant sections, e.g. engine conversions stickied in engine section.

Also I don't get the cruise section... Have 2 sections, Coming Events & Past Events (not the 3 there are now). Then any photo's and threads go into past events, any upcoming are exactly that. Easy to find for all.

Hope this helps, and is my 2c :thumpsup:
ddt

Post by ddt »

i think we should have our own wikipedia style page for each model we support on here (~GA-GN, LA-LC). From there direct links to brochures, manuals etc.
As well as some history, production figures etc, we could make it a bit more technical than wikipedia and include engine, gearbox, differential (etc) details so the information is easily visible for everyone including visitors.

I think it would make the site more pro and would support our vehicles as they become classics.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742