Altenators

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
orangelancer

Altenators

Post by orangelancer »

hey guys ive located an altenator off a 78 GD Galant to suit a 4g32. will this work with my 79 lancer even though my engine is belt drive like is the right ampage etc.

cheers
alex
davetrees

Re: Altenators

Post by davetrees »

If it fits & the drive belt lines up with the pulleys it will work ... assuming the external wiring is compatible (ie. they are both interal or external regulated, whichever the Lancer is wired for).

Must admit I don't quite understand why you would want to replace one stock crappy 35amp alternator with another one though .....
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

just need it to tie me over till next year. just had my current one get new brushes put through it. worked out pretty cheap in the end
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Has anyone fitted a 65/85A alternator to a 4g32 before?

Part number please!
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

I'll have a look at mine.. I don't know the amperage.. But for memory it's larger.
N/A ALL THE WAY
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Mine's also bigger than standard... roughly the same size physically, and fits in nicely! It's pretty straight forward, even if some minor mods for a mounting bracket are required, and the extra capacity is no drama at all :-)
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Well what is it from?
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

shuggy wrote:Has anyone fitted a 65/85A alternator to a 4g32 before?

Part number please!
I'm running a 85A Bosch (internal regulated) off a TR Magna on mine.

Don't expect any alternate alternator to necessarily be "straight bolt on" - it's usual to have to change pulleys, modify brackets, etc to get things to line up.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

I don't have a clue what mines from! Lol.. It was on there when I got it, and the bloke who put it on there can't remember :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

I understand but just need one that has 2 mounting brackets wide enough apart to fit over the engine Mount and put a spacer in if needed. I'll look into a magna one Thanks! A

Also. If the alternator is internally regulated then what do you do with the regulator on the Strut tower? There are 3 wires on the 2 pin plug on the alternator but only 2 on the 2 pin thing on the external regulator. Where does the other yellow wire go! ?
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Hmm, I also can't remember what mine is from... from memory, I took the old one to an auto sparky, and he gave me a recommendation on the part to buy. I'll check it to see if there's a Bosch (or otherwise) part number on it...

As far as the regulators go, mine's internally regulated (as are most). It's a current regulator (as opposed to a voltage regulator, which is a much more common component in electrical), and the external ones basically have an input, an output and a ground... instead of running through the external reg, you just run directly back to the battery. The extra wire becomes redundant, and you can remove it (or leave the wire connected to the connector plug and terminate the end, in case you ever need it again in the future).
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Hey, sorry for the delay in responding to this... I completely forgot to check my car! :facepalm: It turns out, my alternator is only a 55A one, and it's Bosch part number 9 120 060 860. Hope that helps! The reg is internal (it's a changeable part), and you just don't need to worry about the extra wire.

Let me know how you go and/or if you need more info on the re-wiring :)
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Anyone have any more info on this? Really need at least a 70A alternator asap
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

TR Magna 85A Bosch ..... as per my post 6 weeks or so ago
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Got one. Didn't fit. Might see if I can put the guts of it in my original housing. .
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Got one. Didn't fit
They fit - I've got one on the 4G32 in my car. Where you expecting a direct no-mods, bolt-on replacement ?

You need to fabricate/find a new (longer) upper bracket ..... but that's to be expected for just about any alternator change ..... and use a few appropriate washers to get the spacing right on the lower mount so the pulleys line up precisely.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

One other question. An internally regulated alternator, does that mean I can remove the regulator on the strut tower and just have single wire going to the charge light?
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Basically yes .... although the wiring varies a bit between different alternators.

In the case of the 85A Bosch off a Magna, there are 3 wires :
- 1 is the main power wire
- 1 goes to the charge light
- 1 is the "sensing" wire that goes direct to the battery

Some others just have 2 wires - power & charge light

Obviously you will have to get rid of any extraneous wiring from the external regulator. No idea what changes are required .... my car was done when I bought it.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

What about earth? Im just going to google this
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

The alternator earths through the bracket to the block - there is no separate earth wire (on mine, anyway)
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Ok so pre work for new alternator I have started.

I just installed an internal regulator onto my current alternator as I had it lying around so I was able to remove the current external one and the wiring.

I was going to replace the main lead to the battery but ive discovered it runs up the loom to the dash before going to the battery back down the same loom..

Should I just run a new 100 amp cable from the alternator straight to the battery via fuse and leave the existing wiring or do I need to replace the whole lot up under the dash too....
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Ha ha, you occasionally need to fit a longer upper bracket to increase belt tensioning even without changing the alternator (got a new fan belt that I thought was the same, fitted it, squeaked, tried to increase tension and ran out bracket! Installed an "extension" and all is sweet!)

Yeah, with the wiring you definitely need to remove the existing reg (which it sounds like you've done). Earth is through the body, and the others are the power and charge light. With the wire going to the dash, what's it actually connected to up there? Might be the charge light, or an ammeter if you have one... I'd double check what it's doing before removing it!

Let us know how you go...
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

It goes to the ignition switch as far as I know.

Can I just add another cable direct to my distribution block?