GH Sigma and 1970 Colt light issues

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
Shifta

GH Sigma and 1970 Colt light issues

Post by Shifta »

Hi guys,

I suck at Electrics and 2 small things are stopping me from enjoying my toys :(.

1. GH Turbo
No Dash Lights or parkers. Brake lights and headlights work fine. Using test light and multimeter I have confirmed there is no power to the fuse box, however when I turn the switch I can hear the "clicking" coming from the engine bay near the battery so whatever regulator/relay is in there seems to be getting the signal from the stalk. Any ideas what I need to check in the engine bay? I have aworkshop manual for the normal GH and the wiring diagram but no idea how to read it!

2. 1970 Colt Ute
On the way to get Historic rego during the week the indicators stopped working. There are 2 wires that go to a flasher can. I tried a test light and multimeter on these two wires and got nothing. The Indicator fuse is fine and I tried another flasher can with no luck. Not really sure where to start with this one. I reckon I've also got wiring diagram for the 1100f which should be the same as the ute but again, no idea how to read it!

Any advice on either would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
geezer101

Re: GH Sigma and 1970 Colt light issues

Post by geezer101 »

The Colt issue - is it a flasher relay or a clicker can? The clicker can is just a gadget that makes an audible noise, letting you know you're driving with the indicators on. Indicator relays usually have more than 2 pins going into it. Chances are the indicator relay is hiding somewhere else and has coughed it's biscuits... happy hunting! :)
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Interesting! Thanks mate, I'll go on the hunt for something with 3 connectors...... :)
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Sounded too easy! Ok just checked the ute and my coupe - no 3 pin units. The 2 pin units actually have "electronic flasher" written on them too....
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Worth a shot. Electrics are tricky at the best of times. You got no power on either side of the fuses? Make sure when you're using the mulitmeter you're testing from a good, clean earth point and you check both sides of the fuses in the block with the ignition on. Normally it's a fuse that's blown but isn't obvious or a dirty earth connection to the body that causes an electrical glitch. I had hell's own grief with my sis-inlaw's hilux - took off the main ground leads and gave the eye loops and bolts in them a big clean and no more starter motor or battery charge issues! 8-)
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

I had another go at the cars today and I exhausted all efforts with the Ute, then all of a sudden the indicators started working again. Maybe some of the WD40 I used found it’s way somewhere? I’ll take the win though! The Sigma is another story. I found the 6 pin headlight relay and tried to test a few things. I have confirmed the relay’s middle pins have permanent power. From the fuse box, there is a red and yellow wire and a green and white wire for the parking lights. I found these wires at the plug that goes into the relay, and confirmed that when the parking lights are turned on the red and yellow wire has no power. I bridged this wire to the battery and the parking lights came on. So I’ve come to the conclusion that this wire needs to be fed wire from the relay, but I’m still confused as to whether the relay is shot or maybe the switch on the stalk? The relay does “click” when I turn the parkers on so I’m not sure. I had a spare relay in the shed and tried that with the same result. Not sure if this confuses things, but the relay itself can be plugged in 180 degrees around and when I do that, the parkers work but the headlights don’t. Anyone have any ideas? Is there a way to test a relay? Thanks in advance!