Car dash lights and parkers HELP!

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
Leeroy

Car dash lights and parkers HELP!

Post by Leeroy »

I went to drive my car last night and my accessories wouldnt turn on.
Also my Rear parker lights dont work :/

I ran a positive wire to the power wire of my dash and it lit up all my accessories and my parker lights, however when this wire is connected it lights up whether i turn my accessories switch (lights switch) on or off.

How do i fix this?
75wagon
Admin

Re: Car dash lights and parkers HELP!

Post by 75wagon »

When you say accessories?
What do you mean exactly? Radio and fan etc... or dash lights?

Tail lights and dash lights are on the same fuse, if that's the problem, I'b be starting with checking the fuses, if it's not the problem, I'd still be checking the fuses first.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

:stupid:

Another thing to check, if applicable.

If you have a trailer plug (for towing) sometimes the wires aren't routed well, which can lead to shorting.

It is often the case if you have the plug in the boot and run it out over the boot lip, the cable gets crushed causing a short.

Cheers.
Leeroy

Post by Leeroy »

Dash lights, cigarette lighter, fan lights (fan itself still works), tail lights are not working.

I checked the fuses, none of them are broken.. could it be a connection to the fuse box maybe?

Yer nah i don't have a trailer plug..
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Have you got a test light ? I assume you have a workshop manaul with a wiring diagram ....

Start at the relevant fuse and see if you have power there, and work your way systematically along the wiring a join at a time until you find where you have no power. If no power at the fuse, then the problem is between there & the battery.

Might just be a loose loom plug behind the dash, or something simple like that .... or a loose earth connection.

Those circuits aren't all on the same fuse I don't think ? ... but they ARE all on the "non-ignition" circuit. Do your brake lights & reversing lights work (they are on the ignition circuit) ?
Leeroy

Post by Leeroy »

Yes my brake lights and reverse lights work.

I had another look at it today using the same bulb method accept with an LED, and the power cuts at the dash loom..

Question, at the dash lights column switch does the switch engage a power source or an earth source? It may be something to do with the switch not getting power or a good earth connection. Where do the positive and negative wires connect to from the switch?
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

They switch power, not earth (in a Galant, anyway)

What makes you think it's the switch, rather than a loom plug ? The cig lighter is very unlikely to go through the column switch ....

Another thought .... on Galants, there are a couple of earth wires that are screwed to the dash frame up near the steering column mount area. Check the screws/bolts haven't come loose ?