Coil temps?

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
75wagon
Admin

Coil temps?

Post by 75wagon »

I've just had a look at a member's car who recently had some work done at a mechanic.
A new coil was fitted (amongst other things).

The car had been running rough since being returned to him. Ended up being the fuel cut solenoid hooked up to the negative side of the coil instead of the resistor (it had twin carb set up like my wagon).

But while I was trouble shooting what was wrong, I noticed the coil was running very hot.
Now I know that if you leave the ignition switched on without the motor running it makes the coil hot, but what would make it run hot while the motor is running?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Coil temps?

Post by astronturbo77 »

[shouldnt be that hot... Has it got a resistor coil and no ballist resistor or vice versa?
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
75wagon
Admin

Re: Coil temps?

Post by 75wagon »

Here's a few more details.
It's a 4G32, with the factory twin downdraught carbies.
The twin carbs have a fuel cut solenoid that runs off a ballast resistor from the + of the coil.

The wiring was all messed up, they had 3 wires from the coil negative 2 black with with 1 blue (distributor, fuel cut solenoid and the other I assume was the tacho), and 2 wires on the positive both black with white (ignition and the ballast resistor), and another 2 on the other end of the ballast resistor a blue and a black/white, with a shunt across the ballast resistor (so it was the same as having no resistor at all).

I have changed it to:
Coil - distributor wire, and the blue (I assume tacho)
Coil + ballast resistor (with shunt removed and then to the fuel cut solenoid), 2 black/white wires and the blue.

I now runs smoothly, and the coil much cooler then before.
BTW, the coil has no stickers or anything on it saying if it is a resistor type or not.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers