Custom aircon for galant.

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
shuggy

Custom aircon for galant.

Post by shuggy »

Has anyone done it? I have about a grand for it, and I have a compressor mounting bracket already, but what compressor fits? I'm guessing a GE 1.6 compressor does, but what about the 2.6 compressor? Same?

Does anybody know of a good heat/cool unit to install either under dash or full in dash installation?

Any advise or help appreciated.
woops

Re: Custom aircon for galant.

Post by woops »

I've considered this for while I'm putting a 4g63 into the coupe. The nicest option would be to splice the interior cooling core into the standard airbox but it's way to small to retain the heater too. The under dash units would definitely be the simplest option and is still fairly period specific. I personally though wouldn't put air con into a galant with a standard engine. Upgrading the engine from standard would also make it much easier to obtain a compressor that fits. The astron is such an easy swap and making the aircon fit from there would be much easier too. You would spend more time fitting the aircon to the 4g32 then you would to bolt in 4g54 or 52 and would wouldn't have to worry about getting pulleys and compressor mountings to fit. If you are dead set keen though my first place to check for the required parts would be in the FWD colts.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
tubby

Post by tubby »

the early 2.6 ones are massive and take heaps of juice to run. in your situation I would look to retro fit one from a cc/ch lancer you can pick them up for beans these days and you wouldnt have to worry about scourcing the cfc replacement refrigerant you would need for the older units. finding someone who still does that/has the machine to do it AND do it for a reasonable price may be a bit of a headache.
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

all the brackets ,pump etc etc off a 4G32 colt should do it with an underdash unit from ebay or wreckers etc...

thanks for the edit whoever it was , maybe keep out of peeps posts if you cant even say "edited by .....because...." :@
Last edited by Torana68 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

woops wrote:If you are dead set keen though my first place to check for the required parts would be in the FWD colts.
yeh i got a g32b outta one once with aircon. May give this a go! even if i can just get the compressor to fit.

Im sead keen on keeping the 32 sorry guys if you havnt already seen my build topic! Its getting built as we speak.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

tubby wrote: look to retro fit one from a cc/ch lancer
Will look into it thanks!
Torana68 wrote:all the brackets ,pump etc etc off a 4G32 colt should do it with an underdash unit from ebay or wreckers etc..
Sounds legit

Cheers guys
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Well props for wanting to stick with the 32 :thumpsup:
Although be prepared for it to loose some power when the aircon kicks in :|

On the note of using a lancer a compressor, found an old pic when putting the aircon into a friends Mirage, can see the small compressor at the front, plus the other bits.
http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh62 ... 0_2084.jpg

As Torana pointed out, do a search on ebay, you'll find the under dash units, but I'd talk to the guy your going to get to Gas the system first, always good to have some experienced opinions :)
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
datsunrides

Post by datsunrides »

I'm in the procees of putting A/C in my Colt. I found an original bracket in the wreckers, but did not want to use the big York lump. (probably bad anyways) I decided to use the very common Sanden type compressor, so to make this happen, I cut the old mounting brackets from the engine plate and sacrificed a Datsun bracket I had for the Sanden brackets and welded them to the Colt bracket.

The Sanden will take much less power to run than an old York type compressor. For the evaporator, the easiest solution would be to find one already from a Colt. You can also easily adapt a hot rod type unit to the car. If you are looking for a heat/cool as an assembly, your best bet may be an aftermarket unit like Vintage Air.

Mark
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Thanks for all your advise guys - much appreciated.
81GL wrote:Well props for wanting to stick with the 32
This is on the A57 that im building back to factory spec, only thing that im changing is upgrading the brakes, 5 speed box and some performance work to the 32.
So yes im keeping the 32 to match the venetians and sun visor :D
A112H

Post by A112H »

Or you could not be a bitch and wind the window down :z
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

A112H wrote:Or you could not be a bitch and wind the window down :z
I did that for 3 years with vinyl seats, its fine, i can deal with it, but i want to be able to but my suit on, drive ten mins to work and NOT have a back wet with sweat.

That and its not pleasant for friends who i drive around. This is a long term car that i want for a long time and a good time. So its got to be as comfortable as possible. I just bought my next fun car, thinking of taking the aircon outta that and building that to track? (the 2L sirus Sigma full IRS that was on here)