Indicator question

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
H8DAG8

Indicator question

Post by H8DAG8 »

Hi there

Don't know too much about the electrical stuff in cars.
I've got an old '84 Mitsi Sigma SE, carby.

The question(s) I've got is/are: why does my left indicator go quicker than the right? why does the right indicator sometimes stay on and then decide to flash slowly? how can I fix this? is it cheap? is it easy(ish) to do?

Would like them to be nice solid normal-speed blinks of the indicator on BOTH sides :D

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers

EDIT: Oh also when I flick them on there's a quick noise/click before the indicators even start working; i.e. there is a delay from when I flick em on till when they go.
tubby

Re: Indicator question

Post by tubby »

are all your globes working? if one is blown it will seed up the blinkers on that circuit.
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Ah doh completely forgot to check that, will check that tomorrow that would prob explain the right one being a tad slower. However they have both always been pretty slow and the box always clicks a few times before they actually start cranking.

Will post up tomorrow if any bulbs are blown or not.

Cheers
A112H

Post by A112H »

That a Sigma for you, lol. Slow blinkers go with it :)

Every Sigma I have been in has the weird noise you are talking about. It is hard to type the sound but here we go. BUR, BURRRRRRRRINK. :lol: If you have a Sigma you know the noise I mean lol
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Could be caused by different wattage globes or dirty connection. Whatever is causing it is in the right indicator circuit, so take out the globes and swap them for new ones and clean the sockets if they look grubby.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Haha yea I was going to attempt to type the sound but then thought sh*t no one is going to understand it unless they've heard it before (if I'm lucky) haha!

Will be checking out the right-hand bulbs/globes today and see what I find.

So the little box/thing that makes the indicators blink, there is no way to replace/upgrade/fix/speed that up to make them blink with a little more effort?

Cheers
A112H

Post by A112H »

You should be able to buy a flasher can from your local auto parts store for about $5 I would think.
As far as I remember the only difference between them is if they are 3 or 4 pin. Go to a local wreckers and grab a few from different cars with the correct amount of pins to suit your car and try them our.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

A112H wrote:You should be able to buy a flasher can from your local auto parts store for about $5 I would think.
As far as I remember the only difference between them is if they are 3 or 4 pin. Go to a local wreckers and grab a few from different cars with the correct amount of pins to suit your car and try them our.
So with a new flasher you reckon it will flash nice and solid and fast/normal?
Checked bulbs today, all are fine.
The right-hand one also goes at the same speed as the left again now so no idea why it had a little spazz the other day.

Where abouts do I find this flasher in the cabin?

Cheers
ddt

Post by ddt »

it'll be under the dash around the steering column somewhere. Just turn on your indicators and feel around under there for which relay is ticking.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Ok thanks.

So will a new (or one from a more modern car) flasher definitely make the indicators tick with a little more effort?
Or is it just a guess?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

You'll need to find the same rating flasher relay as they can sometimes be sensitive to the load on the circuit. Some may light up but not flash, others might not even close circuit and flash at all...
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

geezer101 wrote:You'll need to find the same rating flasher relay as they can sometimes be sensitive to the load on the circuit. Some may light up but not flash, others might not even close circuit and flash at all...
Ah I see, will the rating be on the one inside my car? Do they simply unplug or are they not able to be taken out unless you cut wires or something?
Would the Sigma manual have that info.?

Cheers
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

When you pull the indicator relay out it will either be a round metal can with the load rating stamped onto the top of it or if it's a rectangular plastic cased relay it'll be printed on it. Normally the relay is just dangling under the dash next to or just above the steering column. Relays do get tired from age (they've got a spring to return a contact to it's open circuit position and the contacts also foul from doing their thing for years and years), but as ddt put it simply, turn your indicators on with your head under the dash and look for the ticking - you'll find it, no worries! :thumpsup:
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Cheers mate will be doing that today.
foxpsi

Post by foxpsi »

another thing to check would be condition or wiring and connections this will increase resistant and cause problems check the body earth is the bolt tight? is it corroded check the connections on the indicators are they corroded???
hope this helps a bit
It's four and a half hammers across!!!
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Thanks for the further info.
Have been flat out and haven't had time to check any of it out yet!
Will hopefully get time on these few days coming up to Xmas, or after Xmas.

Cheers guys.