Alternator Cables in 1986 Gh Sigma

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
bomb446

Alternator Cables in 1986 Gh Sigma

Post by bomb446 »

Hi everyone, I recently got my alternator rebuilt with the internals of a commodore one and need to change the regulator plug.

There are 3 cables that attach to the alt. One charge cable and 2 smaller cables. One is white and one is yellow with a red stripe with a black rubber surround. Does anyone know which of these 2 smaller wires is for the regulator, as I need to cut it to solder the new plug on.

Cheers
foxpsi

Re: Alternator Cables in 1986 Gh Sigma

Post by foxpsi »

There should be one feed to the battery the big red one that bolts to the alternator, the two other wires are for the regulator one is for a power feed directly from the battery positive uses a fusible link and the other wire is for the alt warning light.

also note if you got your alternator upgraded refurbished it is a good idea to up grade or replace the main power cables and engine/body earths this helps lower resistance, as the old sometimes small alternator feed cable is no longer able to cope with the current the new alternator is pushing out.

hope this helps
It's four and a half hammers across!!!
bomb446

Re: Alternator Cables in 1986 Gh Sigma

Post by bomb446 »

Its all good, I forgot that the yellow/black one I mentioned was actually off of the water temp sensor :stupid:

The cables are all good, the alt-battery wire and earth and chassis grounds are already 0ga wire for the sound system :)