BLOWN SEALED BEAM HEADLIGHT

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
geezer101

BLOWN SEALED BEAM HEADLIGHT

Post by geezer101 »

If you've ever blown a sealed beam headlight and your only options are to replace it with another blown one from a wrecker or from OS by auctioning off an organ, I feel your pain. I converted a sealed beam to H4 on my wife's honda elite scooter but this will work on any sealed headlight. You'll need these tools- hobby die grinder, good soldering iron, scissors and a small round file/ materials- broken metal cased H4 headlight with the globe retaining clip intact(I used one from a NIMBUS), stick of plumber's solder, masking tape, paint stripper, cardboard, permanent marker, wet and dry sandpaper and a spray can of epoxy paint (silver or charcoal to make it look aftermarket or OEM)

First step: remove the sealed beam headlight and apply paint stripper (they're usually coated in a clear lacquer) and clean. Heat up your soldering iron and melt the join holding the globe to the back of the assembly. While melting the solder, push the globe into the assembly with a screwdriver etc. Cut the globe mounting flange from the donor H4 headlight with the grinder, allowing a lip approx 5mm around the mounting hole. Use eye/ear protection while using the die grinder (it's not worth an eye and your ears will be ringing) Make a template for the H4 globe using the cardboard. The hole should look like a "D" shape and allow the globe to sit in it without pushing it in (the same shape as the inner profile on the H4 globe's base)

Now for the slightly more tricky part. Using the cardboard template mark the hole for the H4 globe in the back (imagine the "D" is a circle and align the original globe hole to it's centre with the flat edge of the"D" facing the bottom of the headlight assembly) and slowly cut the hole. Once you've cut the hole, remove the globe and debris from the assembly (if the globe doesn't come out through the hole, gently break it). Seat the H4 globe into the hole and file finish any spots that prevent it from seating flush. Wet and dry the hole to a smooth finish and give the surround of the hole a light sand as well (this will give the solder a better surface to stick to). The H4 globe should sit in with a little bit of play (there's a variation in size from manufacturer to manufacturer).

Place the H4 globe into the donor mounting flange and clip it into place, then sit it onto the back of your prepared headlight assembly. Check to see the flange seats evenly, then lightly bend it wherever you see any gaps between the flange and the headlight assembly. Use your thumb to gently press in the "D" part of the hole in the headlight assembly (this will help getting the H4 globe to sit flush). Leave the flange and H4 globe in the back of the headlight assembly (this will prevnt it from moving out of alignment) and solder it into place. Try not to overheat it as this will unavoidably cause the chrome inside the back of the headlight to peel. Remove the H4 globe, clean the soldered joint and mask up the lens and headlight globe hole and spray.

Now you have a headlight that works better than factory, can be repaired without removing and done cheaply ! Hope this is of benefit to someone who find themselves stuck with a dud headlight...
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: BLOWN SEALED BEAM HEADLIGHT

Post by astronturbo77 »

you can buy semi sealed beam headlights from bursons or repco with H4 globes....
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Me no understand ....... why would you not just replace all your sealed beam headlights with halogen inserts ?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I don't really want to get into a bitch session but has anyone seen a semi sealed for a GA? Guys are swapping their whole front ends because they can't get a good replacement. Which is a shame for something that should be trivial. And we've all seen it when someone jams a different type of headlight into the front of their old school- it's hideous. When I had a crack at modifying the scooter headlight the last price when they were still in production was$160. There wasn't one in oz, japan or anywhere else and if someone was sitting on NOS, you can take a stab at how much they'd be asking for it... as I first mentioned in the guide I posted to address this issue. Yes, go to Bursons or anyone else for a current, in production off the shelf part. But this site should try to support those who are in a jam with some practical advice and tips. :z
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

You didn't mention it was for a GA ......

I wasn't having a go at you ... I honestly couldn't understand why you would do this rather than just use a QH insert, assuming you were talking round headlights. My apologies.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Don't stress, I'm cool with that. Yep, the post didn't mention any specific model or design. But after having a look around and reading various build threads, the GA started popping up everywhere as a car relevant to this site that has this problem. Between the GA/GB, my personal preference leans towards the GA, primarily because of their rectangular headlights. Can I ask the questions- 1: is the post practical? 2: does it have a comprehensive list of tools and materials to tackle the job? 3: are the instructions jibberish or easy enough to follow? If something is either missing or unclear with the instructions, gotta fix it... 8-)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Maybe some pics?
Other then that, all sounds good :thumpsup:

Thanks for the thread.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

Good post!
Pics would make it perfect :thumpsup:
71 GA Galant - Project
Build thread is here: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5600
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I may be good at improvising mods but I am dangerously close to being retarded when it comes to figuring out how to post pics! I must go back to that section and read it slowly. I'll only be able to take the finished product out the scooter to give you a look at it. The original headlight was pathetic 25/35 watts. It lights up the street now! Add some blue light or xenon gas charged H4's to really improve your night driving.
tubby

Post by tubby »

BTW if you change from sealed to semi sealed dual filament globes you need to swap the wiring for the low/high beam because they are backwards. least the sealed one that fried my wiring was....
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

That's not good. Unusual that the wiring would be swapped over. I had to test the H4 globe both pre and post installation on the wife's scooter to make sure it was set up properly. I'll post a pic of the modified headlight so you can get a better idea of how the finished product turned out (my soldering wasn't great- crap iron, cheap solder and pretty average technique) when I can pull the scooter apart.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Finally got some pics of the headlight upgrade. First is of a colt headlight (I used a Nimbus as it's easier to cut up, but the mounting flange for the H4 globe is the same)Image
This is the finished prduct (modified Honda Elite headlight) showing the "D" shaped cut out for the H4 globe and the mounting flange soldered inImage
This is the H4 globe installed and clipped inImageImageImage