Dash/Tail light issues

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
wombat

Dash/Tail light issues

Post by wombat »

Hey Fellas,

I am the proud new owner of 'skidmarks' green sigma, i have been doing some trolling and he posted this on here a while ago and i tried everything that was suggested to fix it but to no avail....so the problem is that the tail lights & dash lights will stop working after some time driving then they will come back on and off as they feel like it, it seems, when i slide the test light to that fuse and the lights are working of course it lights up. but when the lights stop working and i slide it there then it doesnt light up, so its gotta be the fuse box needs replacing right??? around the bottom of the connecters for the fuse there is a bit of greenish corrosion built up and im hoping this is the problem and a new fuse box will fix it...so im wondering if anyone knows where i can get my hands on one or am i able to replace it with a newer unit with blade fuses?

any help would be greatly appreciated, look forward to meeting you guys soon!

Dave
A112H

Re: Dash/Tail light issues

Post by A112H »

Tail ights and dash lights use the same fuse, sounds like you have an earthing issue. Find a good solid earth and connect to the system and you should fix it.
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

farrrrk buds,im having the same problem,but the worst part about it,before i put my turbo setup and ecu it started.ive told the guys that wired it and they rekon they havnt touched it?? when i find out ill let you know what the problem is or vise versa.. :thumpsup:
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

wombat wrote:I am the proud new owner of 'skidmarks' green sigma
Welcome to the site Dave.
Are you located in the Newcastle area, or elsewhere?
skidmark had a few spares didn't he?
wombat wrote:when the lights stop working and i slide it there then it doesnt light up, so its gotta be the fuse box needs replacing right???
Is the fusebox dodgy? Are the connectors lose in the fusebox?
I'd work my way back through the whole wiring. As suggested above it could be a bad earth? It certainly sounds like there's a bad connection somewhere. Maybe a melted plug, that has a bad connection?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Trying to find a schematic of the GN at the moment, not as easy to find as i thought lol.
Anyone know if they are the same as GH? probably not.

Anyway, my first suggestion would be to replace the fuse, and give the fuse contacts a squeeze & a clean with some light sand paper to get rid of any rubbish on the contact.
How often does it play up?

Fair call with the earth Jason, but could probably rule that out if the test lamp isn't lighting up, as that is giving it another earth to go through, yet doesn't light up.

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
wombat

Post by wombat »

Welcome to the site Dave.
Are you located in the Newcastle area, or elsewhere?
skidmark had a few spares didn't he?
Thanks mate,

Yeah i live in East Maitland so ill keep an eye out on here for any get togethers and come say g'day

A few is a bit of an understatement haha. a trailer & boot full is closer to the mark, but so far so good

I think ill stop by the auto elec tomorrow arvo and see if he can narrow it down after all the info i give him so ill keep you posted! just wanna go for a cruise at nite without worrying about my tail lights dying!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

He had a Sigma he bought that had a pretty clean body. It had a little bit of rust but I thought it was fixable. He lost interest in the build and ended up cutting it up :facepalm:
It would have been perfect to re-body SIG666 into.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
wombat

Post by wombat »

Further to my little problem im having, it seems that it only happens when im driving around lots of corners or stopping and starting frequently, on the weekend i drove to and from my mums place (35km) at night and in that whole time they played up once...is mostly 80/90 km/h the whole way with around 10 sets of lights....have u had any luck ISKA8??