Stereo systems

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
unique10

Re: Stereo systems

Post by unique10 »

in my patrol i was running an alpine deck, 1 mrvf409 and an mrvf1005 - both alpine amps, focal front splits and response splits in the rear and 2 kenwood subbies in a big ported box. was/am a bit of an audiophile so this setup used to wow alot of mates who went to jb/autobarn/gl pro audio and spent 3-4k on their setups and they were no where near as deep or loud. actually got a little annoying becuase when you downloaded music which wasnt the best quality - which is most of it- it sounded crap becuase the speakers used to play everything.

now im tossing up weather or not to put it in the galant becuase of pure weight reasons and i dont wanna cut anything up to put the deck anywhere :S
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

If u can spare a little weight get a good set of 6x9s and put the head unit under the glovebox like I did u don't have to cut a thing then
SIKMA

Post by SIKMA »

With speakers, I recommend to steer away from 6x9s unless you dont plan to run subwoofers. IMO, I would run a subwoofer one way or another, even just a slimline under the seats. 6x9s do not have the stability of a round speaker thus does not generate as high SQ.

I have discovered that coaxials are not ideal as front speakers in a car, theoretically, they will have better SQ compared to component speakers as the music is coming from one point source, however your leg will block out highs due to the low placement of the speaker (high frequencies do not rebound like low frequencies).
1992 Toyota Cressida Grande - 2jzgte + Garrett GT35r, BPU mods
1985 Mazda RX7 - 12A Rotary
1985 Nissan Bluebird TRX - CA20S
natosig

Post by natosig »

in my sigma im using a pioneer head unit with ipod and usb conectivity pioner 4 inch dash speakers alpine 2 way 6 inch in the parcell shelf sounds crystal clear and is quite loud for a reasonbly cheap simple set up and every thing fits into the original holes so doesnt look to bad or out of place also might add a 12inch alpine sub and amp have siting in the wardrobe soon
84 gk sigma
foxpsi

Post by foxpsi »

There are some nice systems on here i am not putting a system in my galant as it is being used for motokanha track work etc.
So i thought i might post up one of my commodore installs at least get some pic in the thread and at the end of the day car audio is car audio just in galants sigmas u have a bit less room.
the system is made up of parts i had sitting on the bench
headunit old school blankupnt flip up headunit
jaycar 6'' splits all round
jvc mono block for the subwoffer
maxton e bay amp for the splits that i repaired it goes quite well no the most reliable stuff in the world but it works.

pics
the boot

power for the car and two fuses for the amps

testing the system

good clean signal

BAD signal too much gain

enjoy
It's four and a half hammers across!!!
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

geezer101 wrote:Check out retro styled head units in the US. Look like analog push button head units but are USB/IPod interfaced. Don't know the dimensions but look way cool.
Since someone else kinda brought this thread back in January....The retro style head units, like Retrosound's are about the same size as our stock radios. I have one and need to install it shortly. Got some more fun to do with a dremel, but it should fit in the stock location pretty well. :thumpsup:
http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/category/id/1
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

none...no stereo.
Built with pride, Driven in anger
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Kenwood headunit
4x 4" kenwood speakers 120w (2 in the rear parcel shelf, two grafted badly into the kick panels)
2x 6" Kenwood Speakers (rear Parcel shelf outers)
1x Kenwood 1000w 400rms amp
1x Kenwood 1400w 400rms sub

but the cool thing is i still have the original AM radio and speaker hooked up and they still work (H)

geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Nearly there VGJONO, just need to tidy up the head unit install in the glove box. A surround plate will hide the wiring and make it tough for someone attempting to do some after hours shopping in your car -
I made this one out of 5 ply and an offcut of that fake checkerplate film with a couple of inserts spray bonded into the glove box lid inner. It was pig to install though - I had to build it into the lower half of the dash out of the car and then fit it back into the dash...
79SIg

Post by 79SIg »

^^ Looks suspiciously like a 80's model colt.... I had one of those as a hatch till it decided to not work anymore, It had a 12" sub and pair of 6x9's on a custom rear parcel shelf, 6.5" front splits and cheap pioneer headunit.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

...busted badly. Yep, it is a Colt. It ran an old school Alpine casette deck with a 6 disc changer, Rockford Fosgate splits, rear 4" speakers and an SAS 10" sub tube (all this stuff was recycled from my GSL Cordia that got totalled) Here is the install shot in the cargo area -
I built a custom cargo floor with a hinged panel to cover the spare tyre well (but I made the centre panel 10mm too long and it was hitting the seat backs...) -
I covered the entire cargo area and sub tube in black meltrim and recessed a flush fitted ring pull handle into the hinge panel -
A112H

Post by A112H »

My "head unit" is under the bonnet with a music changer in my left hand and volume control under my right foot. Amp is under drivers ass running through 2.5" cable and twin 3" speakers out the back :thumpsup:

:P