GH PWS Tacho won't count past 4000rpm and not smooth

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
Jasinex

GH PWS Tacho won't count past 4000rpm and not smooth

Post by Jasinex »

Hey guys,

I have a lil problem with the tacho in the PWS. i finally found the white wire that wasn't connected to the coil and that fixed the tacho from not working. Now when it runs its not really smooth when u rev it and it only goes to about 3800-4000 rpm. The car easily revs past this as you can hear in the video i have attached. Please have a look and tell me what you think. I hope someone may have come across this before and will be able to shed some light.

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m74/ ... G_0372.mp4

(give it a minute to load)

All feedback is welcome.

Many thanks

Jason
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: GH PWS Tacho won't count past 4000rpm and not smooth

Post by astronturbo77 »

i reckon its with in the gauge its self mate
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
camB

Post by camB »

Have you taken out the instrument cluster? My GE originally had Jap instruments (solid silica circuit board) but when I changed over to a dash with a tacho it came with Australian (Smiths) gauges and the circuit "board" was flexible. Several tracks had been flexed once too often and snapped. Perhaps your tacho tracks are in a similar way and vibrate a little, causing the off and on nature of your tacho.

Not a sure thing, but if you're in the process of elimination you could check it out.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Maybe it is the engine asking for pity and not to be reved past 4k, lol
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Do the usual stuff, check your ignition- distributor timing, dwell angle, leads etc. If it's all within acceptable limits head for the carby next. If the vacuum actuator has a split diaphragm, not only will your secondaries fail to crack open properly, the air being sucked in will screw up the way your engine runs in general.
A112H

Post by A112H »

I think the engine is revving fine and smooth geezer, it is the tacho read out that is causing problems
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Sorry 'bout that. Read it as 'engine not running smootly past 4k' not the tacho. Doubt it's the screen printed board in the instrument panel, generally the either do work or don't. Holden LD astras suffer from a similar problem. Circuit boards printed on plastic film are crap, no place for them in a relatively hostile environment like a car...