Can't find a short, GJ Scorpion

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
webby

Can't find a short, GJ Scorpion

Post by webby »

OK
Got defected because the trailer plug I hadn't got around to throwing out broke and started dragging on the ground, so I cut it off and cleared the defect. Went to start it to drive away from the cop shop and the battery was flat, I was like WTF???????
Got my mate to come down and jump start me, went back to his to try and figure out what was wrong. Thought it was probably the wires on the cut off end of the trailer plug wiring shorting on the bumper every time I hit the brakes or blinkers. So we removed the plug wiring completely, charged the battery for a bit and it started fine. Drove it home, turned it off and went inside.
Came out half an hour later and the fucking battery was fucking flat yet again :@
It's not the battery, that's new, and the alternator is charging it fine. It's just when I let it sit for a while that it does it. Nothing's been left on, it's just going flat of it's own accord.
Be fucked if I can figure it out, anyone have any ideas?
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
dvsfin

Re: Can't find a short, GJ Scorpion

Post by dvsfin »

put a multi meter across your battery terminals and take out all of your fuses...then slowly put them all back in until you see a noticable power fluctuation...whichever one causes the power drain will be the culprit...good luck
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

:stupid:
That's exactly what I was going to suggest.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
webby

Post by webby »

Cheers guys, turns out the "door" button for the interior light was shorting and drawing constant power
Also, I discovered tonight that the alternator can't supply enough power to have the high beams going for more than a minute or so, any longer and they just get progressively dimmer to the point that I have to pull over, turn everything off and idle for a while until the battery charges again
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

Reco your alternator haha
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

try looking at the battery as well and test the alternator output while the car is running.
webby

Post by webby »

Battery is brand spankers, bought it yesterday before I went to Gilgandra. My brother's girlfriend's old man had a look at it with his multimeter while we were there, apparently it is actually charging but not all the time and not 100%
I have a TP Magna one here that I might chuck on to see if it fixes the issue, provided it fits and wasn't damaged in the crash that totalled the Magna. If not, I'm not useless with a welder and a 4" grinder so I'll make a bracket to fit one of the numerous other alternators I have laying about the place
If it doesn't work I'll have to get Dad to fix it, I have absolutely no idea when it comes to electricals :P

Also, the black plastic cap on the starter solenoid is loose, not sure if it's a problem but it doesn't seem quite right to me lol
I have the starter from the Magna here, should I replace the one on the car with it?
-Josh.