GH Electronic Ignition /Tacho Problems

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
Jasinex

GH Electronic Ignition /Tacho Problems

Post by Jasinex »

Hey guys,

We have started to pull apart the recently purchased PWS and have noticed something strange... The Tacho in the dash doesnt appear to be working. So i have a couple of questions.

Firstly how does the tacho work? Where is it connected to usually ?? the distributor or the coil? what colour wire? any one have a pic?

Secondly .... the distributor in this car appears to be different... i think it may be points ignition??? i will clarify this with a picture.

Thirdly... if it indeed does have points ignition (someone may have replaced the electronic to get the car running for cheap) how hard is it to put the elec ignition in again. Is it as simple as putting the control unit in and a new dizzy? do they have different coils? is there any associated wireing that may need to be put in? does any one have a pic? or would like to help perform the transplant?

Hope this isnt too many questions........

All advice is welcome...

Thanks in advance

Jason
camB

Re: GH Electronic Ignition /Tacho Problems

Post by camB »

The wire to the tacho is the white one from the + side of the coil.

(Shit, I hope that's right or I'm going to be drowned in a wave of ridicule.)
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

camB wrote:The wire to the tacho is the white one from the + side of the coil.

(Shit, I hope that's right or I'm going to be drowned in a wave of ridicule.)
Close. It's the negative.

Cheers.
Jasinex

Post by Jasinex »

Thanks Guys.

Will update you tonight with a pic when i see if i can get the tacho working.

Hope i dont break anything else

Jason
Jasinex

Post by Jasinex »

Heyy Guys,

I finally got arround to taking some pics of the distributor. I think it is an electronic ignition from a later model?

The GH control Unit is still in the car but appears to be completely disconnected from the dizzy and coil.

Can someone shed some light of where/what this dizzy is from. The cap has scorpion written on it ... but who knows what its out of. See the pics below and comment

Many Thanks guys.

Jason

PS. There is an orange wire connected to the - side of the coil and it runs inside the cabin. but the tacho still doesnt seem to to work.

Will have to pull the cluster out to see whats going on. Any ideas where i can get another one and is it able to be changed out of this cluster?
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Looks like a Scorp dizzy to me. My old GH Scorp one was identical with the screw on cap, etc.
rob020

Post by rob020 »

yea the later model dizzy has an internal ignitor and doesnt need to use to finned aluminium bosch box, it only needs two wires hooked up

my diagram says the tacho is a white wire on pin 5 of the 6-pin instument panel plug
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

if your not using the GH ignition module you need to run a wire from the - side of the coil back to the the module connector, I cant remember what pin it is off the top of my head but this is what i had to do in the V8 gh
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
genius

Post by genius »

Looks like a Late dizzy. Scorp, staz, all available locally. Neg wire for Tacho .